Muji Aluminum Round Fountain Pen Review

TommyPlume

Holy non sequiter! Ant any rate, coincidently very timely. My boss brought one of these back from NYC for me a couple of weeks ago. Very light, almost fragile feeling aluminum. Styling very reminiscent of an Xacto knife. Interesting how the cap posts into a recess in the end. The nib however couldn't be any more pedesterian. Really it couldn't - typical German iridium blob tipped nib. My F writes a wide non-descript nib that might as well be a felt tipped marker. Can't say that I would have bought it myself but it was a "gift" so it'll sit on my desk and I'll use it until it runs out of ink.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• ethernautrix

• rockydoggy

• TommyPlume

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great little pen!

Love the nib, super smooth, very thin.

It came with 1 cartridge and ink was the blackest black.. yey!

Took me a while to find 1 in London, but hey, I jumped with joy bc it was only £9!

Btw-not many converters fit this pen (perhaps just Monteverde's mini one), but I have so many cartridges, that I don't mind this at all....

Love my 4 Mujis, they've never ever failed to write, currently with Vert Empire, Asa Gao, Diamine poppy red, Ajisai; they take Parker converters. The machined section can get grimy but washes easily. If you let it fall the aluminium will bend at the base. I put the carton rims that come with Lamy Safaris on the cap to tell them apart.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Love my 4 Mujis, they've never ever failed to write, currently with Vert Empire, Asa Gao, Diamine poppy red, Ajisai; they take Parker converters. The machined section can get grimy but washes easily. If you let it fall the aluminium will bend at the base. I put the carton rims that come with Lamy Safaris on the cap to tell them apart.

I let it fell one, and the base is a little bit out of shape. Really want to get another one now.

• 6 months later...

Hello pseudo88,

I have just receved Muji Aluminium Round fp and I am concerned.

In YouTube video (

), the guy warn us about clip that can be broken if you use it.

What is your experience?

Kind regards

Zoran

Edited by zdeveric

Great review, I bought the aluminum fp, and five of the bps with the A5 notebooks for some quick event favors! Good stuff with a growing chain of upscale markrt stores.

Hello pseudo88,

I have just receved Muji Aluminium Round fp and I am concerned.

In YouTube video (

), the guy warn us about clip that can be broken if you use it.

What is your experience?

Kind regards

Zoran

Hi! I don't use the clips but just fiddled with the ones on all my 4 Mujis, they seem solid enough? Don't foresee any problems to clip them on shirts, I haven't done that with any pen since I forgot to screw a Pelikan and got ink all over my favourite shirt, a long time ago. If you like pulling on pen clips, that's another story. New ink rotation in two of them with Lie de Thé and Yama Guri, zero problems.

That's a good video, to further the comparison with Lamy Safaris, the Mujis have always been much more reliable (in fact zero starting or flow problems), and they clean easily by pushing water through them with a bulb syringe. So they're cheap, elegant and reliable, the nib works on lesser paper and glides on better... Great value. I hadn't noticed the nib width variations, although it might be the ink, certainly seems finer with Yama Guri and Lie de Thé than Asa Gao, and Vert Empire seems another width entirely.

I've seen these on amazon and ebay.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Love my 4 Mujis, they've never ever failed to write, currently with Vert Empire, Asa Gao, Diamine poppy red, Ajisai; they take Parker converters.

Hmm... they take standard international cartridges and converters... not Parker.

Hmm... they take standard international cartridges and converters... not Parker.

Parker converter in Muji... Sorry about the terrible phone image.

fpn_1455639638__img_20160216_101738.jpg

B. Russell

Sure why not if it fits securely and doesn't leak.

Works perfectly.

B. Russell

The nipple is standard international. The parker converter may fit but it won't be tight around the nipple as a standard international would be.

We

The nipple is standard international. The parker converter may fit but it won't be tight around the nipple as a standard international would be.

Well you can believe your standards or you can believe that in my two Mujis with Parker converters there's been no flow problems and no leakage in more than four years.

B. Russell

Looks like their fountain pen design has changed, unless it's just in the UK we get this new one - looks like the cap is now 2/3rds the length of the pen,

http://www.muji.eu/images/products/m/4934761849720.jpg

Looks like their fountain pen design has changed, unless it's just in the UK we get this new one - looks like the cap is now 2/3rds the length of the pen,

Hi, there are a lot of Muji Aluminium Round FP on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUJI-Moma-Aluminum-round-shaft-fountain-pen-with-Black-ink-cartridge-1-F-S-/121750556091?hash=item1c58e60dbb:g:0MkAAOxyUylTToP4

You have shown the other version which is Muji pocket FP.

We

Well you can believe your standards or you can believe that in my two Mujis with Parker converters there's been no flow problems and no leakage in more than four years.

I'm not making assertions about your experience. I am just saying that the pen is made for standard international cartridges and converters, which it is. I can, and did, make it work with a Pilot converter or with a rigid plastic straw which I have sealed on one end. That does not change the fact that the pen is built for standard international cartridges and converters.

Edit: besides, I've just tried, and my parker converter does not fit in my Muji at all. It can be made working, just like the pilot or the plastic straw, since the sleeve is glued in the pen section, and so there is no place for the ink to go if the converter is placed there; but it does not fit around the nipple and so it would need to be locked in position in some other way.

Edited by Feanaaro

this is the "compact" made by Ohto no surprise it uses the Tasche format and like the Tasche also comes in BP and mechanical pencil format also sold by Ohto and Muji

• 1 year later...

Just popping in to say I got one (the x-acto model with the short cap) in Santa Monica for $15, it feels light to me, package says M but nib says F (that may not mean Fine, could be something else), works and writes well. Young chap in line ahead of me was admiring it but noted wistfully that he can get a box of pens for $15. He looked like a college student. I gave him a Pilot Metropolitan I happened to have on me. Good luck, kid, soon you'll be addicted and spending a lot more than $15 on pens :)