The Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian

jar

So far we have looked at the Montegrappa 80th Anniversary and Privilege Deco, the Sheaffer Plain Polished Legacy and the Waterman Sterling Silver Gentleman.

Next I would like to move up from France and take a look at another very large heavy Sterling Silver pen, this one the Yard-o-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian, a classic English design and manufacturer.

When I first saw pictures of the Victorian Yard-o-Led design, I thought it might actually be repoussage, a technique that was developed by Samuel Kirk, a Baltimore, Md silversmith in the 1800s. Repousse is a technique of hammering a silver object from the back side to raise portions of the front side in creating intricate designs. Once I got one of the Yard-o-Led pens though I could see that it is done by a combination of Repoussage and Chasing, hammering the front side. It is beautiful, unique and individual.

http://www.fototime.com/2B72EA2EAB75044/standard.jpg

The Viceroy pen is a classic semi flat top design and uses the international standard cartridge/converter filling system. The Victorian Grand weighs in at 67.6gm, so about 50% heavier than any of the others we have looked at so far. The body is long enough to use uposted but I find that I enjoy mine most posted. Then it simply falls into the correct position with the cap cradled comfortably in the web between thumb and hand.

http://www.fototime.com/269544FAF7AFBE2/standard.jpg

As mentioned above, this is a heavy pen and the pocket clip is up to the task of holding this secure. It is a simple one with a large raised lip to get it over heavy fabrics and a large section that makes contact. The clip is riveted in place and carries the Yard-o-Led name and a serial number for that pen.

http://www.fototime.com/46EADE59E523085/standard.jpg

The section, like the body and cap is Sterling Silver and I find both comfortable and controllable, even if wet. Sterling Silver also quickly warms to the temperature of your hand and does not show the "slick" traits often found in palladium or rhodium plated metals.

http://www.fototime.com/04A5FD24F2C5D6F/standard.jpg

The nib is a simple 18K white gold, in this case a Broad nib, smooth, responsive, expressive and utterly reliable.

In all this is one fantastic pen and it certainly gets more than its fair share of pocket time.

Here you can see it nestled between the ones reviewed so far for a size comparison.

http://www.fototime.com/418E3B2B19A8774/standard.jpg

edited cause of appalin spallin

Edited by jar

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• adyf

• reprieve

• SHK

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention - the YoL nib has that indefinable something that makes it special. And when you get the right paper and ink combo and it starts that contented singing sound.... :cloud9:

Not to mention - the YoL nib has that indefinable something that makes it special. And when you get the right paper and ink combo and it starts that contented singing sound.... :cloud9:

None of mine sing and if they are like me, it would be off key anyway. :crybaby:

I have the YOL Grand Victorian and the Standard Victorian. They are both wonderful pens, but I find the girth of the Grand to be more comfortable for longer writing sessions. The engraving on these pens is just exquisite.

You're killin' me.

That is certainly not my intent but hang in there, there are only a few more to come.

The YoL Grand Viceroy Victorian has been on my wishlist for some time now.

:puddle:

I have the YOL Grand Victorian and the Standard Victorian. They are both wonderful pens, but I find the girth of the Grand to be more comfortable for longer writing sessions. The engraving on these pens is just exquisite.

I have the plain standard victorian and often wonder if I would have preferred the grand. The standard is a very skinny pen.

The nib on my YoL Viceroy pocket used to sing, but it's got quieter since I've had it. I'm told they commonly stop singing with age.

Chris B.

Since I do not have one of the standard size Viceroys is there any chance that you or someone else that has both could add a post with a side by side image for comparison?

Oscar Braun pens has some great prices on the YoL pens right now.

Yes, for folk in the US Pam is a great source. Thank God she does not also handle Montegrappa.

Since I do not have one of the standard size Viceroys is there any chance that you or someone else that has both could add a post with a side by side image for comparison?

Here are some quick snaps. Sorry about the poor quality--they were taken with my cell phone. From left to write (ha ha): Corinthian, Grand Victorian, Standard Victorian.

fpn_1311440104__4.jpg

fpn_1311440010__1.jpg

Dang it, I've had a case of the wanties for one of these for a while....but I've had other expenses creeping up on me so have dialed back on the pen purchases some.

Pretty pictures....! Wish I could pick one up for myself!

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

Dang it, I've had a case of the wanties for one of these for a while....but I've had other expenses creeping up on me so have dialed back on the pen purchases some.

Pretty pictures....! Wish I could pick one up for myself!

Pam Braun has some prices that you should at least check out.

you have a very nice sterling silver collection of fountain pens :thumbup: thanks for this review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time