Another Photography Thread

jon

Penrivers, this looks a little like IR but not quite. Did you do it with a deep orange or red filter on B&W film or digital? Or did you achieve the effect in PhotoShop or similar program?

In any case, it's beautiful work! Thanks for sharing,t

Thanks as always dear abstract49, I supost IR means infrared, I did it with an Nikon D810 and an old Nikkor 24mm f2.8 (maybe 45 years old, but wonderful lens) did it in color, went to photoshop cs6, levels , then black and white, moved the slides in all colors, then reduce in size to less than one mega (974) and then send it to Facebook and FPN, dont forget in similar situations to move the slide of the highlights to the right and to show detail in the shadows too. Greetings from México. Of course in photoedition there are millions of ways and everybody has its owns, and the subjectivity is another thing. I have no infrared camera or filter, and full frame lenses but the camera is good.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penrivers

• alvarez57

• jon

• farmdogfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No special camera is needed for infrared, but it has to be absolutely light tight. In other words, if it's a view camera, the bellows have to be perfect. If it's anything else, all shutters, curtains, baffles and such have to be perfect. Then, the film has to be loaded into the camera (and removed from it) in a leak free darkroom. The films I have used in the past (distant past) could be developed in most available b&w developers, and once past stop bath, could be handled like any other b&w film.

Also, as to the camera equipment, it is not absolutely necessary, but the best results are obtained with a deep red filter. And I mean the deepest red available.

As for digital, I am unaware of any program for any camera that actually acts like IR film; hence my questions. If anyone knows of such, I would like to know about it.

Several years ago, I found an article on line giving step by step procedure to imitate IR in PhotoShop. I saved it at the time, but I have lost it in the course of several computer replacements.

Keep up the good work!

I remember that program for IR but it was to complicated and it was not real IR, photoshop has imitations of IR but never try it because it s not the real thing. Maybe I will buy a IR filter in the future it seems more cheap than to modify a camera.

Nearly all digital cameras can "see" infrared. At least a part of the spectrum. For a wider spectrum there are astronomy versions of some cameras with modified chips.

Yes, thanks Astron. After composing my last post, I looked on line and found several references to shooting IR with digital cameras, but none of the links I pursued gave me any usable information. I'll continue to check as time permits.

In the meantime, I have a number of b&w negs on "regular" film that I think will lend themselves to rendering in the "fake" IR PhotoShop manipulation. I just need to get a new scanner to continue getting those thousands of negs into the computer. I had stopped some time back (reasons irrelevant to this discussion), and when I came back, I discovered that my Microtek scanner no long supports Mac or the most recent Windows. In other words, it is now worthless.

~ farmdogfan:

Both juvenile peregrine falcon images — Superb!

Thank you for posting them here.

I've shared your bird-in-flight with a prominent South African bird photographer.

He's as impressed as I am.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom, they are very fast and agile birds, and it´s great fun trying to photograph them while they are playing in the air.

Regards Per.

Clouds eh? My favorite subject in the summer.

42429479235_90bdcf2341_c.jpg

Yea, they are gorgeous this month in Texas and Coahuila.

Thank you.. beautiful!

Thanks,I asume unmodestly you refer to me, by the way I dont like the tree in the middle.

Here are some older photos I recently processed with Snapseed.

James Irvine Trail

Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, July 2017

Galaxy S8

fpn_1531592668__20170722_140619-01-01-01

Church

Bodie State Historic Park

Unknown camera

fpn_1531592623__bodie-church.jpg

USAF Thunderbirds

Death Valley National Park, November 2016

Canon SX600 HS

fpn_1531592601__thunderbirds.jpg

Monterey Harbor, Monterey CA, March 2017

Sony DSC-H5

fpn_1531593575__monterey-harbor.jpg

Point Pinos Lighthouse Study

Pacific Grove CA, March 2017

Sony DSC-H5

fpn_1531593629__lighthouse-study.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.