Are You A Collector Or A User?

snoww

I have two category of pens:

(1) The ordinary pens i use on a daily basis

and

(2) The pens that become a part of my pen collection, which I never use.

I'm hoping my descendants will inherit my pens in good condition, and that they will add onto the Samad family's pen collection.

I see why you might say this, it would make sense to leave fountain pen in good shape for future generations and for maybe non-related FP collectors and users. But the way I feel, is that a fountain pen, short of a really broken, smashed, burned, example, is one of the most repairable objects I know of. And most damage that would impair usage, can be fixed. As for normal wear and tear, I find in many cases this adds character and shows the enjoyment the original owner(s) may have had in using the pen. For a pen used by a parent or grandparent, this becomes even more valuable for sentimental purposes I think, it shows a pen was actually part of the person's life, and that is the real value of an heirloom to me.

I can see the rare example of certain very ornate, and especially rare items, that are admired more for their beauty and looks than for just writing, being something to use the white glove treatment for, and hand down something materially special. But for most cases I see the user approach as being both practical, and more meaningful as an heirloom. I would call myself a collector who uses, even though my collecting has not fully formed a narrow focus, I would say 30 pens accumulated in under a year is the beginnings of a collection, and if the pace keeps up, there will be no denying it.

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Merrib

• browser

• snoww

Wonderfully said, Gobblecup. Actually, now that you've made some convincing points, using (mainly on special occasions) the pens in my pen collection would add more sentimental value to them in the long-term. My descendants would know for a FACT that these particular pens were used by their ancestor (me).

Thanks for clearing my mind.

I am a user.

when I am keen to buy the pen, I'll imagine myself using it ...and not keeping it for viewing..

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

I'm not telling.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Regardless of the value or rarity of the pen, I'm a user. I feel priviledged to use expensive or exclusive pens. Just as much as I feel chuffed finding a cheap(er) pen that writes so well!

That for me is the joy in procuring pens - to use them and have some for specific situations. Some are permanenetly in my rotation and others I pull 'em out as and when required. Some are a bit fragile to slug it out at work and so are used at home, others they just keep going no matter what u put them through.

I think thats the main reason why I use all my pens - they each have a character and its a shame to have them just for viewing.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

User. I keep trying different pens/nibs for pen & ink drawings, so I try to get only one pen of each size nib. You think this would work, but it doesn't. There is always something over the next hill that I am sure will magically enable me to draw better.

For example, I have a Sailor Sapporo converter fill, which holds x ml of ink. I hear that a piston fill will hold more ink, so I may not have to refill in the middle of a sketch as often. So, now I want a Sailor Realo. I think, as a user, it may be quite a while before I don't want new pens.

But I am saving up for a Nakaya, solely for the beauty I will hold in my hand.

When I get that, I may start to think of myself as a collector. Maybe that's a good measure: If I consider a pen's beauty more important than its functionality when I buy, I may be a collector.

Usesellector here. Started using about 45 years ago, collecting only a few years. Thought of having a pen to look at and not use is foreign to me. Buying and repairing pens very satisfying - should sell some but have not - yet. Getting close to 40 pens. Fortunately about 1/2 dozen of them are on the waiting to be repaired list

Carry 3 in rotation each week; 1 inked red, 2 in assorted colors according to each pen's aura and my mood. Try to be fair, but new additions always seem to sneak into the rotation, and a few favorites get more time to paper than others.

I am not compulsive. I am not, I am not, I am NOT!!!!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

I'm a user, although I've accumulated a few of them. If I don't use a pen, then it gets sold. I do use a FP every day for pretty much all of my writing needs, though.

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day...

All the above.

First: A user. I have, for as long as I can remember, appreciated fine writing instruments. I've never been a fan of disposable pens or pencils. After rediscovering fp's 15+ years ago, I've carried and used them almost exclusively.

Second: Restorer/Accumulator. I discovered the world of vintage pens ten years ago at the same time I discovered e-bay - a dangerous combination. Because many e-bay purchases arrive in less than usable condition, I learned the basics of pen restoration, started acquiring/making the tools needed, and repaired my way to an accumulation of more than a few pens. I have sold some, but for the most part, I keep what I fix and have used most all of them at one time or another. Many of my best pens have come from estate sales and auctions and they make up a fair percentage of my accumulation.

Third: Collector. While I don't have a specific make/model focus, I do tend toward vintage pens from the major manufacturers; Vac's, Snorkels, Duofolds, Balances - you get the picture. I know enough about vintage pens to know a great deal when I see it and to avoid the garbage.

I enjoy the hobby and leave it at that.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I would consider myself a user. I don't try to accumulate certain brands of pens, or types. I just want the one(s) that write right. :embarrassed_smile: It's not my fault that it's perfect to find the perfectly balanced, gorgeous looking pen that's just the exact weight I want it to be, and has my dream nib. :headsmack:

I buy pens to use them, and I use a fountain pen every day. I've bought a few new pens, but most of my pens are vintage pens that didn't work when I got them. I like to fix up old things that people have given up on, and get them working again. But some wind up as favorites and I'm finding a bunch of the others just sort of sit in a cigar box. I don't feel a sense of obligation to rotate them or anything - I use the ones I like the best, with no guilt about it. I currently have 6 or 7 favorites that get used a lot.

So what does that make me? A user/tinkerer/hoarder?