Are You A Collector Or A User?

snoww

I'd classify myself primarily as a user. I do have one pen that is MIB, my spare Pelikan M800 Blue Ocean.

I've coveted some never inked NOS vintage pens, but have refrained from buying them because I don't trust myself to keep them uninked. So I'll leave them to someone else who will leave them pristine...there's probably a nice one of that pen that could be a user for me somewhere.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Merrib

• browser

• snoww

I am a user who is still searching for that 'perfect' pen, and since I live where there are no pen stores and a longway from the nearest show, the only way I can try a pen is to acquire one. So, I have many I do not use and will eventually sell or trade. Of the ones I like, I regularly write with about a dozen and get in a few words every day or so with about that many more.

I dohave several that are backups to my favorite daily users so is that a collection?

I discovered CI nibs and that is all I use now.

I really think Penspouse has it just right!

I use most of my restored/working pens with great pleasure. I would call myself a collector of pens that I will use.

My one exception is a Namiki Emperor dragonfly, which was a gift from my wife's uncle. But I enjoy that one by looking at it and holding it. Just can't see inking a $6,000 pen though, but I won't be collecting any more of those!

the pen is the window into the writer's soul

www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

Definitely a user. To my mind, pens are for writing. Although I am careful to look after my pens, I don't want to keep a pen in pristine condition by not using it.

User for most of my life (with a brief stint with ball-points, to help make clear carbon copies at work & that was.......... a long while ago).

But, having seen all what's available on TFPN, and my searches on the Net, I'm afraid I could become a collector.

At this point in my life, all I "really" need is a reliable instrument for most of my writing and a back-up (same make & model but different colour & nib).

Cheers: tinta

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I`m a User. I buy them to use them and sell them if they don`t get used anymore.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm a user then probably a collector. I use them, then store the old one when I'm done. Sadly, I'm been buying new pens to use, but end up using my Pilot Cavalier Duo.

Both :thumbup: daily user, with a relentlessly growing collection.

Enthusiast :happyberet:

Same here! More pens than I need (hmmm, well, ... depends on your definition of "needs") but I've used every pen I own. Some pens I keep for sentimental reasons and these are no longer daily, or even yearly, writers.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Yes, I am.

I’m a user that cannot control the ‘magpie’ instinct to amass lots of shiny things, which just happens to be pens for me!

:headsmack:

I think I'm a user. I love having all my pens inked with different colors. I guess the main reason why I get a new pen is to have another color option in my rotation :roflmho:

I'm a collectaccumaluser.

All of the above. When I like something, I want to accumulate more of it! It's a bad habit! (It's amazing I've only had one marriage! Though we did have two ceremonies, so there is that.) Of my 20+ pens, the only ones I don't use or intend to use are the ones I don't trust because they leak or dry up too quickly (my Retro 51 and a pretty lime green thing I got from a seller here. Someday, I might know enough to get them fixed, but for now they wait.) I won't buy a pen I don't intend to use, so even though I splurged on the FPN Etruria (which will be my most expensive pen by far), I plan to use it as a daily writer, right up there with my Parkers and Esties.

I seem to have 10-12 pens inked at a time. I like having many colors available for whatever mood strikes me.

i'd like to think of myself more of a user, for i have inked all of my pens and use them in rotation. however, i have so much fun collecting new pens that i ended up with more than i can handle and so some end up only used once for testing and then just sit in my cabinet in their original box. why? mostly because i find a dissatisfaction in the overall performance due to either the nib or the pen weight. i'm quite picky.

-rudy-

I’m a user that cannot control the ‘magpie’ instinct to amass lots of shiny things, which just happens to be pens for me!

:headsmack:

++++1!

+2!!

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

Nothing I have is nice enough to be considered "collector's items" so all of them get used. Since I have a tendency to go back and get pens I like in different colors though (body color and ink colors) I've got a bit of a collecting drive, but they do all end up seeing the light of day every once in a while.

I'm a user. I couldn't imagine buying one without putting it to work. ESPECIALLY if it's one that I spent significant $$$ on.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2862/146qxp.jpg

I have two category of pens:

(1) The ordinary pens i use on a daily basis

and

(2) The pens that become a part of my pen collection, which I never use.

I'm hoping my descendants will inherit my pens in good condition, and that they will add onto the Samad family's pen collection.

Edited by T. E. Samad

I'm a user, no doubt! I always use all my pens, BUT my unreachable wish is try all good pens of world, so I have to acumulate some pens. :headsmack:

Yeah, officially I am a "user" but it is getting to the point where I forget that I haven't used x pen in months! I guess I need to write more ;)

Andy

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png