Are You A Collector Or A User?

snoww

I'm a collector that likes to use his pens.

In fact I looked at one pen recently that tempted me, and the deciding factor was that I really didn't think I'd use it, (it was a very decorative uninked pen) so I didn't buy it.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Merrib

• browser

• snoww

I own a modest amount of pens which I use every day...so classify me as a user.

François (Frank) P.

Currently inked: Parker 51/Quink Blue-Black; TWSBI 580 1.1mm/Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

I certainly try to use what I have, but given that I presently have an accumulation of roughly 150+ writing instruments and seem to always fall back to the same three to five in the daily rotation, perhaps I fall into that category of "collector in denial". Every once in a while something new or "hasn't been used lately" gets pulled in. Eventually, it gets pushed back out in favor of one of the the overall favorites.

I have been trying to pare back my holdings in the last year or so; in part because eventually, one has to ask "how much is enough?", and also recognizing that no one else in the house besides me has much interest in my accumulation. If you take out the daily favorites, a couple of "special occasion" pens/sets (e.g., the "51" Signet and Flighter sets) and the variety of pens/pencils that perhaps only matter to me because I know they belonged to someone close to me, I could probably get down to a number closer to 50 overall.

Since I've started, and net of some stuff that seems to have "crept in" over that period, I've probably shed about 50 pens since I started winnowing out. Some of my dis-acquisitions were pretty easy to identify, whereas others were more difficult to decide on. What I have also discovered is that a small bit of "cleaning out" has helped me better evaluate the degree to which I want to continue holding onto some of the other writing instruments I've got. I'll probably never get to that 50 number, but every little bit helps (and possibly puts a nice pen in the hands of someone for whom it might be their "favorite daily user". All good.

I'm a user but I keep collecting so that I can find a pen that truly is "me". Some that I have tried are just to nice to not keep (nice in that I admire their looks and the way they write - not that they're nice as in expensive). I couple I keep for sentimental value; the first pen that I ever bought for myself at 16, the first pen that I bought when I reclaimed my 'fountain pen only' personality. I do use my pens though - that's what they're for!

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

I think I'm a user. I love having all my pens inked with different colors. I guess the main reason why I get a new pen is to have another color option in my rotation :roflmho:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://365drawings.wordpress.com

I collect pens to use. Same with all my collections of things. If I don't use them, they get sold.

I use fountain pens almost exclusively and no pen sits jobless on the shelf - unless I forgot him.

Pens are made to be used. End of line (for me).

But still I'm on the hunt for nice pens and collect some, but not for possessing but for using them.

Greetings,

Michael

Until about 12 months ago my I had a collection of pens which sat in a collectors box and the only enjoyment I got from them was when I looked at them and pretended to use them. I was very content with this but then the collection got to a point where it was starting to be "expensive" and hard to justify spending more money on items which sit in a box.

I have now therefore started to use them and as a result my expenditure and enjoyment has increased.

I therefore have a collection of pens which get used.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I am an accumulator.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hi,

Both, have far too many pens to use them all regularly, have my favourites that tend to get used more than others.

However I have a few pens that have never been used, from memory a Parker 51 Special (the modern edition), a Sheaffer Legacy set, a Yellow Pelikan M200, a Sheaffer Balance II (Millennium Edition, this is a spare) and a Sheaffer Connoisseur (another spare), there are probably a couple more.

Other than these I try to use the others now and then, even if it is just a fill to write a couple of pages then empty and store.

Andy

I use fountain pens almost exclusively and no pen sits jobless on the shelf - unless I forgot him.

Pens are made to be used. End of line (for me).

But still I'm on the hunt for nice pens and collect some, but not for possessing but for using them.

Same here. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I find it hard to be either/or. I like to think of myself as one who uses and enjoys his collection. I find as much pleasure from inking a particular pen (no matter the cost or perceived value) and using it, as I do cleaning it and putting it away until then next occasion.

I feel compelled to have a theme to my collection of pens, and these two controls (all pens must get used and be part of the collection’s theme) have enabled me to reach my maximum amount of 30 pens and still accurately describe myself as one who uses and enjoys his collection.

Pavoni.

I am a user, with a modest aggregation of pens from new to about 60 years old. They all have their purpose, and none sits in the tray for long without making love to paper.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have 30 pens +/- 1 or 2. Around 10 have been mine from as long as 45 years ago and presents to me from people, and my inlaws' from 60 years ago. The other 20 I've gathered around me because I like them. I tend to sell/trade off as many as I get, keeping the crowd to the same 30, which fit into one two-layered cigar box.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I use fountain pens all the time. I own some I dont use and should really sell, but I enjoy the ownership. I never really buy anything without thinking I will use it. Whether I actually do, or whether it goes into the rotation for any length of time is another matter. I am not bothered whether I am a collector or a user, because I enjoy what I have.

I am 100% a user. I only buy pens that I actually want to write with! Pens are made for writing.

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago