Are You A Collector Or A User?

snoww

I've just been thinking about this but most people here are collectors or just people who use pens.. Personally I cannot just keep amassing pens without using them.. I prefer to have "my pen" , a pen that I will use everyday.... the concept of having many without using just seems distant to me.. although when I see a new pen i really want I cannot rest till I get it.. ( solution is to promise to only keep 2-3 pens and to sell others off before getting a new one!)

Anyways the purpose of this post is to find out how many of you are collectors and how many just users of FPs?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Merrib

• browser

• snoww

I'm a user, but my rotation is fast approaching a being a collection (though I'd be intersted in seeing whatever metric actually marks the difference). I'm at nine, with #10 on the way. I've bought new and immediately used. I've purchased NOS and immediately inked and used. I've bought vintage and immediately used. For me, it's about the using. I've got nothing against collecting, and I enjoy seeing the photos of other members' collections, but it's not what I'm personally after.

I would say that a collector is one who owns lots of pens and tries to acquire to own rather than use, often in 'sets' froma manufacturer (e.g. all Parker Vac modesl) - they probably look at the set with some satisfaction (display them?) and maybe 'fiddle' with them (restroring, cleaning, polishing etc.) I would suspect that often these pens are not used regularly and pen collecting is considered 'a hobby'.

Probably most of their pens are old too (cheaper and easier to collect + they might consider the past history of the pen of interest)

So, I am a user (of modern, high quality pens).

I use fountain pens every day and always have one with me. Although I own probably 45-50, I am 47 years old and have been using FPs since school. I do not consider myself a collector as they were acquired over a long period with each purchased to use at the time and I don't display or ever sit and look at them, but do still use them all at some time or other.

I should add, that my collector description is not meant to be accurate or represent anyone and I have nothing against collecting, it is what interests some.

Edited by ImolaS3

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I'm a user, but my rotation is fast approaching a being a collection (though I'd be intersted in seeing whatever metric actually marks the difference). I'm at nine, with #10 on the way. I've bought new and immediately used. I've purchased NOS and immediately inked and used. I've bought vintage and immediately used. For me, it's about the using. I've got nothing against collecting, and I enjoy seeing the photos of other members' collections, but it's not what I'm personally after.

Hahah exactly my sentiments chrevbel ... Spot on.

I justify my fast growing collection by telling myself "I'm just a user with 4-5 pens instead of 1 :eureka: "

Hahah I have nothing against collectors , it just doesn't go with my personal beliefs in life :)

I am an user, but I enjoy using pens that are vintage pens (the reason being that modern pens do not write nearly as good, in my humble opinion, that is) and in great shape, no what some people call "user grade".

Also, I have about 20 pens, and I understand some people would argue they don't need 20 pens just to write. That reminds me of a guy I knew who said that a pair of shoes was enough to walk. All fine with me.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

the both, I like to use and collect

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'd call myself a user, but I might be closeted CiD (Collector-in-Denial).

My current crop of pens DO get used, I can see the day when the size of my collec...err...rotation will outstrip my ability to use them. Perhaps there's a 12-step program for me? ;)

I’m a user that cannot control the ‘magpie’ instinct to amass lots of shiny things, which just happens to be pens for me!

:headsmack:

I started collecting, little known Japanese pen manufacturers, until I acquired a dip pen from one of my Wife's cousins. It had an Esterbrook Elegant Slant nib in the holder. Using it has encouraged me to improve my handwriting. Now I've adapted a Sailor Regulus I bought last year with an Esterbrook Chancellor nib, and no longer collect fountain pens, but vintage dip pen nibs instead!

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

User, collector, hoarder, obsessive...all apply :) I have an obsessive nature so anything I use I tend amass a collection of; pens, pencils, harmonicas, amongst other things.

I’m a user that cannot control the ‘magpie’ instinct to amass lots of shiny things, which just happens to be pens for me!

:headsmack:

++++1!

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

Guest Subvet642

I'm a collector who will use any of them, but I usually only keep a handful inked at any given time.

I would hardly call myself a collector having been lucky enough to have seen some real collections, so I guess I fall in the user category. Maybe simply an accumulator.

I am definitely a user and MOST of my pens have seen use -in fact most of them are inked with various favourite colours right now.

However, my black Edson and OMAS (old style) Paragon are my most heavily used pens and I cannot stop writing with them on a daily basis.

Now, I own a small number of limited editions -The Visconti HS Mazzi and Waterman Exception Time are still boxed and not even been dipped. The Divina G8 and Edson 125ans are used on special occasions to write in my special journals etc. I did initially buy the LE pens to 'collect' and maybe have as an investment, but I find it hard to resist inking beautiful pens sitting at home! I wonder how long before I ink my remaining LEs? :happyberet:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

User/accumulator until recently. I looked at the 30-odd pens I have and realized there's very little rhyme or reason to them. A couple Waterman, a few Namiki/Pilot, a pair of Parkers, but no focus. All of them get used except for the two that need restoration.

I'm now trying to figure out what I want to collect. The weird thing is, when I think about which brands I already own I would collect, none of them jump out as the obvious choice. I already feel guilty over the number of pens I have when I could be using that money for something both my husband and I could enjoy. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop using them, but my desire to create a focused collection just isn't as strong as I thought it would be.

I am a user of fountain pens, but a collector of all other writing instruments. I am finding resistance to be futile in getting into heavy fountain pen collecting though. :)

- Brad

JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery

http://www.jetpens.com/images/jetpens_logo.gif

Find us on Facebook and Twitter.

I use what I collect, although I am approaching my limit :embarrassed_smile:

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens