Noodler's Voiding Pen Warranty?

Antoinem

Hello

I was told today by the owner of a pen store in Calgary the the reason he does not carry the Noodler's line is because he was told by several fountain pen manufacturers that the use of Noodler's ink would void their warranty. When I asked why, he told me that some ingredients in Noodler's ink with long term use are damaging some of the components of the feeding system.

Does any one ever heard of such thing?

Antoine

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• JefferyS

• SamCapote

• Antoinem

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a can of worms. Valid question, though.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Greetings Antoine,

Welcome to FPN. Your avatar is the same as Fuddlestack's- who is a pal of mine here at FPN- that is who I thought you were at first. :D

To answer your question; I would be surprised if this were the case; however, to CYA, I would contact the pen manufacturer(s) myself and ask them about it. This store clerk may be blowing smoke because his boss doesn't want to carry the Noodlers line, (it is very large and I can understand why some merchants would be shy of stocking 100+ colors of ink). Just a guess on my part. :unsure:

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Google "Noodler's void warranty"

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Yah I was told this today. Kinda shocked. But its true a lot of people's pens get damaged using it. Although I don't plan on using noodler's ink without the noodler's cheap pens lol.

"A lot of people's"

The amount of discussion greatly distorts perception.

I would like to close this but the question is valid. However, the question can't be answered here and as was suggested, only the manufactures can truly answer that. Anything else here is rumor and supposition. If anyone who actually sells the ink and has talked directly to manufacturers has valid and supportable data to contribute, please do.

Any discussion further on the topic of Noodler's safety is prohibited. I refer you yet again TODAY to the pinned thread above.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/188197-baystate-blue-and-noodlers-safety-questions/

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I will add that there is one vintage pen restorer (at least one) that does say his warranty is voided if you use Noodler's or PR inks. This is the only one I am aware of. He is not a manufacturer. This too has been discussed at length on this forum.

Edited by KCat

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Well, what can I say..... I opened a can of worms it seems. Please close the topic, I shall no longer discuss it. By the way, I did search on the net for some info and found some. However I felt that users who are more experienced than me might have a better understanding of the situation. If I have offended anyone with my question, I am truly sorry.

Topic Closed.

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

Well, what can I say..... I opened a can of worms it seems. Please close the topic, I shall no longer discuss it. By the way, I did search on the net for some info and found some. However I felt that users who are more experienced than me might have a better understanding of the situation. If I have offended anyone with my question, I am truly sorry.

Topic Closed.

You haven't offended. As Jeffrey said, and I concurred, this is a valid question. That's why I didn't close it. It's the first I've heard of a manufacturer's warranty being voided so it needed to be said. I was aware of Rick Propas's warranty issue as mentioned above.

I'm just warning those who started into other territory about how damaging the ink is which has been discussed to death and the real numbers are hotly debated. Please do look at the thread I posted if you haven't already. I will soon (as in, the next day or two) have a number of links posted so that people will not have to do the searches for themselves.

I will leave this open because we have several business owners who frequent our forum and if they have any information on this topic it would definitely be appreciated.

My only request remains that the topic remains about your initial question and valid responses to that.

Thank you for your understanding and I'm sorry if I seemed to be biting your head off. I wasn't intending to do so. It's just that I just warned other members of this issue not but a few hours ago and it seems it wasn't noticed or was ignored then under different circumstances. It was not your initial post that got me on a tear.

KCat

KCat

I've seen many manufacturers pen warranties that make references to it being voided if using anything other than that manufacturers ink. Lamy, Waterman, others... have a clause specifically about that. Pilot recommends to only use their ink but doesn't explicitly void the warranty if you do.

I think they just don't want the liability of you using ink that really isn't designed for fountain pens (i.e. calligraphy inks, some iron gall inks, homemade inks, etc) that really could clog up and damage a pen, and it's easy for them to generalize and recommend to only use their own brand rather than singling out specific 'okay' brands to use. I imagine they have to do thorough testing on their pens, and it's probably easier to only test with their own brand.

There are soooooo many misconceptions about the 'safety' of Noodler's inks, and I keep seeing the rumors perpetuated by uninformed B&M salespersons. It's unfortunate, and I don't agree with it, personally.

I would also surmise that anything objective/legitimate from a manufacturer is what Rachel Goulet just said. You can add to that Montblanc's similar policy of using only MB ink in their own pens.

It seems to me that an established manufacturer would expose their company to very significant tort lawsuit damages if they issued a "warranty-voiding" statement that singled out a particular brand of ink. It would be incumbent upon them to have done exhaustive testing by an independent, objective, reputable research company proving that an entire ink lineup always damages their pen or pen components. If a single bottle of Noodler's Ink did not cause the alleged damage, the claim against the entire brand would be invalid. The research would need to stand up to aggressive cross examination, and the scrutiny of a jury. I don't see any pen manufacturer being willing to take on that kind of legal risk out in the real business world, nor do I believe it has been so stated by any pen manufacturer.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Pen manufacturers sell you one pen, but want you as a continuing customer buying supplies from them continuously. It is natural that they would suggest that you use their ink. In the case of Mont Blanc and their warranty which is void if you do not use their ink, it is a slightly strong arm way to keep you on as a customer. I actually think it is a shame, because I rather like MB pens. I will not buy a new one, because there are some Noodlers inks I would rather use, than MB inks. Most ink manufacturers, Noodlers included, have broad ranges of inks, with different components and characteristics, and it would be next to impossible to ascribe the same behaviour to all of the inks. When these tales about Noodlers damaging pens started up I wondered if it was because they were not a pen maker who was trying to keep users hooked on their brand. One of the big dangers of the Internet is that if one person expresses an opinion in a piece of writing, it can easily become the reference that others use and quote, until one negative statement becomes "common knowledge". This is because it is easy to read one thing and not think critically and analytically about it.

I agree with Sam, I cannot see a pen manufacturer singling out one particular brand. I can see them excluding all brands but their own.

Greetings Antoine,

Welcome to FPN. Your avatar is the same as Fuddlestack's- who is a pal of mine here at FPN- that is who I thought you were at first. :D

It's Beastie. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Bsd_daemon.jpg

I used FreeBSD for a number of years back in the '90s, so it's a familiar symbol to me.

Edited by stuartk

I would also surmise that anything objective/legitimate from a manufacturer is what Rachel Goulet just said. You can add to that Montblanc's similar policy of using only MB ink in their own pens.

I've seen that too, but I always put it down to their wanting to sell more ink. :)

What's really frustrating about this topic is that I haven't seen anything but anecdotal evidence supporting one side or another, and a lot of it seemed quite suspect.

I've performed the tests with aluminum foil that Nathan Tardif suggests, and I found some ink that did indeed corrode the foil. However, that really doesn't mean much since I don't have any pens with aluminum working parts.

I've seen many manufacturers pen warranties that make references to it being voided if using anything other than that manufacturers ink. Lamy, Waterman, others... have a clause specifically about that. Pilot recommends to only use their ink but doesn't explicitly void the warranty if you do.

This I knew and there has been much discussion about the feasibility of the brands actually proving the use of inks other than their own. Probably part of why Pilot doesn't explicitly void the warranty. How would their end of it hold up? Eventually you'd only anger the customer base if every warranty was voided on the off chance that a problem was caused by some mysterious non-Pilot ink. I'll note that in my experience, Pilot customer service has been top of the line.

Thank you very much for your input.

KCat

KCat

My questions would be-

How long do you let the ink stay in the FP?

Are you exclusively using one ink with that FP?

Do you wash/clean/purge ink once you have run out- or do you only do this when you are ready to ink up again?

There are a lot of factors in a broad statement like this- legally it IS a nightmare to make broad statements without support- while it is easier to just state: please use our brand of ink since we know what we have for our product.

Can a manufacturer really know if it was their ink or another that caused an issue- or was it most likely user mishandling of a product?

QUONDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORTATI

If Folgers made a coffeemaker, it would not surprise me to see the caveat "For best results, use only Folgers Coffee". And I have seen cautions that using anything other than the manufacturer's ________ will void the warranty.

Noodlers seems particularly vulnerable because it is such a small operation, the bottles of ink are so generous in quantity compared to others (remember when solid gold could be gotten for $32 an ounce?), and there are so darned many colors that are so darned popular. In the past few years, this has to be digging into ink sales from other companies.

Can anyone imagine limiting oneself to just Sheaffer or Waterman inks? I was doing so (Waterman and Levenger and MontBlanc only) until joining this forum. Now I am totally spoiled. Now I am "confined to" the following:

Aurora Black

Aurora Blue

Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon

Diamine Amazing Amethyst

Diamine Asa Blue

Diamine Chocolate Brown

Diamine Evergreen

Diamine Green Black

Diamine Oxblood

Diamine Pumpkin

Diamine Syrah

Everflo Blue Black

Everflo Blue Reformulated

Iroshizuku Iroshizuku Asa-Gao

Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku

Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Iroshizuku Yama-Guri

Levenger Cobalt Blue

Levenger Mocha

Levenger Raven Black

Levenger Ruby

MontBlanc Black

MontBlanc Toffee Brown

Noodler's #41 Brown

Noodler's Antietam

Noodler's Baystate Blue

Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape

Noodler's Beaver

Noodler's Black

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

Noodler's Blue Black

Noodler's Burgundy

Noodler's Cayenne

Noodler's Eel Blue

Noodler's Kiowa Pecan

Noodler's Nakahama (Whaleman's Sepia)

Noodler's Polar Blue

Noodler's Polar Brown

Noodler's Standard Brown

Noodler's Tiananmen

Noodler's Walnut

Noodler's Widow Maker

Pelikan Yellow

Pelikan Edelstein Onyx

Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

Private Reserve Burgundy Mist

Private Reserve Chocolate

Sheaffer Brown

Waterman Havana

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I've seen many manufacturers pen warranties that make references to it being voided if using anything other than that manufacturers ink. Lamy, Waterman, others... have a clause specifically about that.

That is simply not true. http://www.lamyusa.c...arrantyinfo.php :

All Lamy pens sold in the US carry the following warranty:

Lamy pen warranties its writing instruments for the life of the product**. If repair is required other than from abuse or misuse, then for a small handling and return postage charge of $7.50 per pen. Lamy products will repair, refurbish, and return any Lamy instrument. If other parts have been abused, there will be a special charge. Otherwise, there are no labor or parts charges.

**The Lamy warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized service and the use of other manufacturers refills or inks.

So they (quite reasonably) won't cover damage caused by someone else's ink. They will not (and legally cannot) refuse to cover problems with materials or workmanship just because you used someone else's ink.

Ditto waterman (emphasis added) http://www.waterman....sh_na_final.pdf :

This warranty is granted by Waterman and applies in the US and Canada.

Your WATERMAN® writing instrument is guaranteed for three years from the date of

original purchase against defects in materials or workmanship. If found to be defective

within the warranty period, your WATERMAN® product will be repaired or replaced

free of charge. This warranty may be extended by registering your WATERMAN®

writing instrument at www.waterman.com.

This warranty does not cover routine maintenance, or damage resulting from the failure

to maintain the product in accordance with instructions provided by WATERMAN.

This warranty also does not cover ordinary wear and tear arising from use of the product,

or damage that may arise from accidental or intentional misuse or abuse, alteration or

customization, or repair by unauthorized persons. This warranty also does not cover

damage that is caused by the use of inks or refills other than those made by

WATERMAN.

It is not uncommon for people at stores trying to sell manufacturer's ink to claim that using other ink will allow the manufacture to refuse to ever correct any issues with the pen. In some cases that's probably a misundertanding. With some manufacturers that's heard often enough that it makes one wonder if it's part of the hard-sell training program. If you contact the legal department (like the people that actually wrote the warranty) they won't say that because it would be illegal and they know it.

I see your points. Damage caused by other inks implies that other inks can cause damage. That is certainly the case. Inks that are not designed for fountain pens (like India ink) can certain clog up a fountain pen. I believe that there are probably some acrylic inks designed to be used with Speedball pens that harden into an insoluble plastic.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

@mstone: Ah, that's a fine distinction. I think that the actual legal interpretation aside, the fear is:

1) you use another manufacturer's ink in the pen

2) someday you need service

3) the manufacturer will perform the necessary forensics to determine you have used the wrong ink

4) they then claim that any damage is a result of that improper ink

Justified? Probably not. I have certainly had exemplary service from Waterman, despite my use of non-Waterman inks. But I suspect it's the *fear* that keeps this topic coming up rather than the reality.