Reseal Ink Cartridge After Syringe Refill?

Federer

In college, I refilled Parker cartridges, and carried them in an un-decorated Altoids tin. I lined the tin with a pad of paper towel to dampen the rattle noise. I never carried the Altoids tin on horseback, only in my briefcase, walking and bicycling.

Do the refilled cartridges leak ? Or are you just afraid that they might leak ? Have you tested the theory ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dennis_f

• JonSzanto

• effika

• Phormula

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can we use standard liquid white glue or super glue intead of a hot glue gun to reseal ink cartridges?Thanks for th answer hope you have a good day.

Likely not, as neither of those retain much of their volume/shape when they dry. PVA glue contains a lot of water that evaporates when the glue dries ( besides taking a very long time to do so), and superglue is very thin and must attach two surfaces of other material together. The advantage of hot-melt glue is that it is "a substance onto itself" being able to stans alone as a viable volume and item, forming a "cork" made out of itself.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 3 months later...

A thought, about to try myself - blue tak - that stuff used to hang posters etc on the wall. Have tested it and making a little ball to press over the top seems to be very secure easily removable. I will still carry them in a small tin.

I just use a glob of hot glue. Works fine for me. Good seal and easy to pop off when you need to use it. :smile:

If you have access to it, parafilm works awesome. I use it in the lab to get a good seal on test tubes and flasks. :smile:

And if you have access to a lab, Parafilm would work wonders.

That's what I use. You can buy it on Amazon too.

How well does parafilm work if you're carrying them around in an Altoids tin where they get jostled around quite a bit?

How well does parafilm work if you're carrying them around in an Altoids tin where they get jostled around quite a bit?

Should be fine if you've done the seal well. You can always throw some padding in there (perhaps a kleenex or a cotton round) to cushion any sharp blows.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a slight variation on this quest -- 

I want to carry a refilled cartridge as the second in my EDC pen, which holds two back-to-back so there's always a reserve when the one runs out. 

That means I can't use those long brass plugs, or any plug that extends beyond the cartridge lip (possibly 0.5 mm would be OK if it's soft).   I'm concerned that using hot-melt glue with so little projection would make it very hard to remove when the time comes to swap the full cart in for use. 

I'm not carrying a bunch of carts around, just the one spare in the pen.  The rest can stay at home. 

I tried Parafilm but had leakage within the first two I tried. 

Is there a soft plug that has a very short/flat outer part?

Since the pen holds endwise pressure on the cart, the plug need not be very tight in the cart neck bore. 

2 hours ago, BrassRatt said:

Is there a soft plug that has a very short/flat outer part?

Perhaps you can find something suitable here:

tps://tr.aliexpress.com/popular/ink-cartridge-rubber-stopper.html

Add lightness and simplicate.

3 hours ago, BrassRatt said:

I'm concerned that using hot-melt glue with so little projection would make it very hard to remove when the time comes to swap the full cart in for use. 

Have you actually tried it, to either validate your concern, or alleviate it through figuring out (through trial and error with multiple attempts if need be) how best to shape the still malleable glob of hot wax to facilitate subsequent removal, while still conforming to physical space constraints of the tip of the pen barrel?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.