How Is 100% Cotton Paper For Fountain Pen?

asaha

Hello Guys,

Recently, I am trying some 100% cotton copy paper for fountain pen writing. I have used Southworth 100% cotton 20lb business paper and 100% cotton 32lb resume paper from the same brand. These types of paper really have a good texture feeling. But when writing on the 100% cotton, I can clearly feel higher resistance than regular notebook. Feathering on the cotton paper is decently low. I kind of really like the cotton paper and am planning to make some homemade notebook with the cotton paper.

My major concern is from the relatively high writing resistance. I guess the possibility of fast pen nib wearing out is quite low because of the modern technology of metal. But will some fiber of the cotton paper be scratched off and get stuck in the nib, which will influence the pen performance?

I am a new guy to the splendid fountain pen world and have no knowledge and experience. Can someone kindly answer and clarify my doubt please?

Thank you :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asaha

• Inka

• Blade Runner

• RonB

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a matter of personal preference, the type of cotton paper you're using, and the nib. Fine nibs are a little more problematic with a less smooth paper, I find. I don't particularly like Southworth - I prefer Crane. Some cotton papers have a smoother finish than others.

No need to worry about wearing out the nib or cotton fibers in the nib.

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

The highest quality stationery is either 100% cotton or has a significant cotton content. However not all 100% cotton paper perform equally well with fountain pens. Crane's 100% cotton 32lb kid finish stationery is my favorite paper for fountain pens. I also like 24 and 28lb Crane's papers. I prefer some feedback from my nibs and papers, but I would say all my nibs ride smoothly on my cotton stationery, and I use nibs ranging from XF to BB. Cotton stationery does however demand a good quality nib. Any mislalignnment or poorly finished nib will be exposed on cotton stationery while they might write smoothly on a very slippery/glossy paper like Clairefontaine. In fact I use my Crane's paper to dip test prospective pens.

Original Crown Mill's Pure Cotton is worth a try. It has wonderful feedback, if you like that, but it is an ink snob. You can't pull out every ink that you would use on a CF or Rhodia paper. It seems perfectly happy with my Diamine and J. Herbin inks. It is also a beautiful cream, and a stack of the lined-envelopes reminds me of a tulle-lined skirt, extra full and lush. It is gorgeous paper!

I think it is a matter of personal preference, the type of cotton paper you're using, and the nib. Fine nibs are a little more problematic with a less smooth paper, I find. I don't particularly like Southworth - I prefer Crane. Some cotton papers have a smoother finish than others.

No need to worry about wearing out the nib or cotton fibers in the nib.

Thank you very much for your help!

I will try some Crane brand paper :)

The highest quality stationery is either 100% cotton or has a significant cotton content. However not all 100% cotton paper perform equally well with fountain pens. Crane's 100% cotton 32lb kid finish stationery is my favorite paper for fountain pens. I also like 24 and 28lb Crane's papers. I prefer some feedback from my nibs and papers, but I would say all my nibs ride smoothly on my cotton stationery, and I use nibs ranging from XF to BB. Cotton stationery does however demand a good quality nib. Any mislalignnment or poorly finished nib will be exposed on cotton stationery while they might write smoothly on a very slippery/glossy paper like Clairefontaine. In fact I use my Crane's paper to dip test prospective pens.

Looks like the Crane has higher price than Southworth. I will try it and hope it has better quality.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Original Crown Mill's Pure Cotton is worth a try. It has wonderful feedback, if you like that, but it is an ink snob. You can't pull out every ink that you would use on a CF or Rhodia paper. It seems perfectly happy with my Diamine and J. Herbin inks. It is also a beautiful cream, and a stack of the lined-envelopes reminds me of a tulle-lined skirt, extra full and lush. It is gorgeous paper!

Thank you!

My current first choice is Noodler's bulletproof black because it is permanent :) I hope Crane can play well with my bulletproof Noodler's :)

You might as well ask does a car made of steel make for good driving... the answer is maybe. I use 100% cotton Southworth, and it hasn't given me any problems. It really depends on how the paper is made, the seizing used, and the weight used as well as a multitude of other factors.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

You might as well ask does a car made of steel make for good driving... the answer is maybe. I use 100% cotton Southworth, and it hasn't given me any problems. It really depends on how the paper is made, the seizing used, and the weight used as well as a multitude of other factors.

Thank you:)

You give me confidence to use my FP with 100% cotton according to your experience:)

Hello Guys,

Recently, I am trying some 100% cotton copy paper for fountain pen writing. I have used Southworth 100% cotton 20lb business paper and 100% cotton 32lb resume paper from the same brand...

My major concern is from the relatively high writing resistance. I guess the possibility of fast pen nib wearing out is quite low because of the modern technology of metal. But will some fiber of the cotton paper be scratched off and get stuck in the nib, which will influence the pen performance?

I am a new guy to the splendid fountain pen world and have no knowledge and experience. Can someone kindly answer and clarify my doubt please?

Hello, asaha, and if by chance I haven;t said so already, welcome to FPN!

I do use Staples cotton paper at time, from their 25% cotton to their Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper.

I do like those paper types, all of them, while using fountain pens of all types and inks I've not had any problems.

The Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper I got for my wife while she was looking for work, her finally finding work when prospective employers were thrilled to see her resumes on this fine cotton & watermarked paper that could have helped dramatically in her finding work in this tight economy with so many unemployed here in Florida and with competition for jobs at an all-time high.

Now I'm using that same Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper to write letters to good friends and it takes very well to all types of fountain pens and inks too!

As for cotton fibers getting caught in my nib slots, so far I've not seen this happening and as mentioned I've used MANY different pens & inks while testing and writing on these paper types.

As for the concerns you've mentioned about pre-mature wear of your fountain pens nibs, have no worries as I've been doing a lot of writing using these paper types and have no concerns whatsoever of this ever happening to any of my nibs.

Your point of nib tipping being hard is a good one, as even the many vintage pens I have use hard tipping and this should not concern you as to wearing out your nibs at all.

I hope this helps to relieve you of your concerns, from this experienced user of these papers and having used many pens/ nibs/ inks I have no fear at all to continue using them. So enjoy your pens/ inks, and these fabulous papers and continue to write without any fears, just enjoy them all and keep on keeping on. You're doing just fine, my friend, no worries!

All my best to you and yours, and if I can ever be of service again please don't hesitate to ask.

~Scott~

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Hello Guys,

Recently, I am trying some 100% cotton copy paper for fountain pen writing. I have used Southworth 100% cotton 20lb business paper and 100% cotton 32lb resume paper from the same brand...

Hello, asaha, and if by chance I haven;t said so already, welcome to FPN!

I do use Staples cotton paper at time, from their 25% cotton to their Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper.

I do like those paper types, all of them, while using fountain pens of all types and inks I've not had any problems.

The Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper I got for my wife while she was looking for work, her finally finding work when prospective employers were thrilled to see her resumes on this fine cotton & watermarked paper that could have helped dramatically in her finding work in this tight economy with so many unemployed here in Florida and with competition for jobs at an all-time high.

Now I'm using that same Southworth 100% cotton 32lb resume paper to write letters to good friends and it takes very well to all types of fountain pens and inks too!

As for cotton fibers getting caught in my nib slots, so far I've not seen this happening and as mentioned I've used MANY different pens & inks while testing and writing on these paper types.

As for the concerns you've mentioned about pre-mature wear of your fountain pens nibs, have no worries as I've been doing a lot of writing using these paper types and have no concerns whatsoever of this ever happening to any of my nibs.

Your point of nib tipping being hard is a good one, as even the many vintage pens I have use hard tipping and this should not concern you as to wearing out your nibs at all.

I hope this helps to relieve you of your concerns, from this experienced user of these papers and having used many pens/ nibs/ inks I have no fear at all to continue using them. So enjoy your pens/ inks, and these fabulous papers and continue to write without any fears, just enjoy them all and keep on keeping on. You're doing just fine, my friend, no worries!

All my best to you and yours, and if I can ever be of service again please don't hesitate to ask.

~Scott~

Hello Scott,

Thank you so much for your generous help:) And I have learned a lot from your knowledge on the paper and pen. Now I am quite confident to use my FPs on the fine cotton paper.

This forum is wonderful. People are so warmhearted and generous. I'm quite sure I will enjoy much time on this FP forum.

Best regards!

:)

Thank you so much for your generous help:) And I have learned a lot from your knowledge on the paper and pen. Now I am quite confident to use my FPs on the fine cotton paper.

This forum is wonderful. People are so warmhearted and generous. I'm quite sure I will enjoy much time on this FP forum.

Best regards!

:)

Thank you for your kind words, always my pleasure to be of some help to other FP lovers, you're very welcome!

So many people here that I've learned from, many I continue to learn from, so it's my way of paying-it-forward by continuing to learn and passing it along.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• 1 year later...