Dating A Conklin Crescent Filler

BamaPen

I have four Conklin Crescent Fillers, a model 40, a 30P, and two 25P. The 40 and the 30P have the typical Conklin clip on the cap and the two 25Ps are ringtops. The two clips bear a 1918 patent date, while the barrels on all four list several patents, with the latest being Dec. 1 '03. The crescents on the 40 and 30P (the ones with clips) are blank on one side and imprinted "Crescent-Filler Trade Mark" on the other side. The crescents on both 25Ps are imprinted "Conklin" on one side and "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and the word "Crescent" inside a crescent outline on the other side.

Is there a Conklin expert out there who can tell me if this information, especially the imprint on the crescents, helps to date the pens?

Thanks!

Edited by BamaPen

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BamaPen

• Procyon

• lazard

Top Posters In This Topic

I have four Conklin Crescent Fillers, a model 40, a 30P, and two 25P. The 40 and the 30P have the typical Conklin clip on the cap and the two 25Ps are ringtops. The two clips bear a 1918 patent date, while the barrels on all four list several patents, with the latest being Dec. 1 '03. The crescents on the 40 and 30P (the ones with clips) are blank on one side and imprinted "Crescent-Filler Trade Mark" on the other side. The crescents on both 25Ps are imprinted "Conklin" on one side and "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and the word "Crescent" inside a crescent outline on the other side.

Is there a Conklin expert out there who can tell me if this information, especially the imprint on the crescents, helps to date the pens?

Thanks!

According to F&S, crescents marked like your 40 and 30P were made in the period 1908 - 1918. However, since your pocket clips have a 1918 patent date, these two pens must have been made in 1918. That is according to the book. I am not too sure I believe it, since I have several of these pens that also meet this criteria. Statistically speaking, this seems a little fishy. Seems like they must have made a bunch of pens in 1918.

The 25P's were made after 1918, according to the crescent markings. Conklin made crescent fillers until about 1928, I believe, even though they started producing lever fillers in about 1922.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

Hello,

40 and 30P. 1918 to 1920 (if crescent engraved with CRESCENT FILLER TRADE MARK) or 1920 to 1925 (If crescent engraved the 2 sides one with Conklin and other with "Crescent Moon" logo.

The 25P are models 253P (if have a chatelaine with rings at top) or 254P (if only have ring tips) and dated depending on the crescent according to previous paragraph.

Regards