Waterman Blue Black

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Hey guys here is another review of my collection of Blue Black inks! This time is Waterman! Enjoy and thanks for reading :)

post-53097-0-30343700-1304383715.jpg

post-53097-0-02930100-1304383720.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner of a Lonely Heart

• AlexLeGrande

• kilraughts

• Surf Monkey

That's a very nice review :) I was considering to get this color myself mostly because I really like Waterman Florida Blue. Would you say the behaviour is similar?

I fail to see the 'black' in WBB though. It's a very nice blue, but a far cry from what I consider to be truly 'blue-black'. But I guess everyone has his or her own idea of what b-b actually means, including Waterman ;)

I would say the behavior is comparable ;)

Also, I do agree with you that it doesn't really demonstrate a blue black color... odd they named it so!

This and sometimes Waterman Florida Blue are my everyday inks (Waterman Green sometimes too). waterman Blue-Black is a "must own" ink in my book, as it is quite benign in behavior and very consistent. I've written more lines with Blue-Black or Florida Blue than all other inks combined. I use this or Florida blue to test pens I've worked on.

It does have some green tone in it. It especially turns green with prolonged exposure to sunlight on the page.

It is not very waterproof. On the other hand, that allows for it to clean up relatively easily. Lubricity is pretty good, though it can feather in high flow pens on cheap paper. I've not had this ink stain a nib or pen (same with Waterman Florida Blue and Green).

The cost is moderate, but below that of the high end boutique stuff. The only reasons I can see for not trying it are either that you really don't like the color, or you need something waterproof. I've found nothing better for "normal" use situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, and I agree this is a very nice ink indeed.

For me, the funny thing about this ink is that I used to be disappointed with the color, especially with the fact it quickly turns teal/green. I preferred something more "blue black", like J Herbin Bleu Nuit. A few months later, I have completely changed my mind. I find my notes are much nicer to read with the Waterman Blue black ink. This teal color is finally much nicer than I used to think.

Looks like it takes time to make up one's mind...

• 3 months later...

I have this inked regularly in one of my daily writers, in fact the pen I carry with me when I'm "on the road" at client meetings, etc. I really find this ink to be a good solid writer - no clogging, quick to start, reliable as anything. A fantastic choice!

I just got this ink. I don't see any black in it. They should rename it to "I am lying. It is only just another Blue ink". :roflmho:

I also find this ink to be very light blue color. Back to back between Iroshizuku Tsukiyo and WM Blue Black, WM Blue Black looks more like turquoise color.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I'm a big fan of Waterman Blue/Black... as a blue, not as a blue/black. As others have pointed out, it's a medium blue, not particularly deep and certainly not a blue/black. I'm still searching for the optimal blue/black. This isn't it, but I do use it as my basic blue in two pens. My other blue is Diamine American Blue, which is practically electric blue.

I'm a big fan of Waterman Blue/Black... as a blue, not as a blue/black. As others have pointed out, it's a medium blue, not particularly deep and certainly not a blue/black. I'm still searching for the optimal blue/black. This isn't it, but I do use it as my basic blue in two pens. My other blue is Diamine American Blue, which is practically electric blue.

Yes I clearly see this as an agreeable low key blue. A bottle is on my want list. I tend to prefer to use Waterman ink in my waterman pens.

Oldster Memory:

This was THE ink that we were mandated to use in the Newark New Jersey Public School system in the early 1950's.

My Current Experience: Excellent.

The color varies from a pleasing dark navy in my Esterbrook 9314-F, through a tealy blue in my Pilot 78-G Bold. I had nothing but skipping problems in my Pelikan 600 fine nib, until I changed to Waterman's Blue Black. It now starts immediately and does not skip, and writes a nice blue-black tone. Pretty good stuff.

My experience with Waterman BB has been really good. A good all-around ink, despite it's not waterproof or UV-proof: when exposed to light, it becomes green. A nice shade of green. :P

There is a big difference between checking out and testing an ink.

I checked out Pelikan Blue Black and Waterman Blue Black.

I used an assortment of 8 nibs from nail, regular flex, semi-flex, and maxi-semi-flex/'flexi'. For Waterman I used a different assortment of nibs and flexes.

I did not use the same nibs. I only used a couple of papers. It was not a true test.

With the Pelikan blue black I got 8 tones/hues. With Waterman I got 4.

Well to test the same nibs must be used, on the same papers. All I was doing was a quick checking of the ink.

In both cases I'd expected a different blue black and got more a black blue.

Perhaps in the back of my mind was Quink Blue Black from back in the silver dime days.

Now of course I have to run out and buy some Quink. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

Waterman blue/black seems to be the standard ink for some (Richard Binder uses it in testing nibs). It was the first ink I purchased when I was introduced to fountain pens---but I have found it to be rather boring. It's on the light side of blue, so I've been a bit puzzled as to why it is blue/black. But I guess this perception may be in comparison to the other extreme, Noodler's Blue Black, which, in certain pens is . . . just . . . black.

for a truly waterproof and accurate blue-black, how about Waterman Blue Black vintage?? Several on ebay from the 1950s and 1960s. Reasonably priced and the stuff shades, is waterproof and is actually blue black. Can't ask for more

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL