Lamy 2000 Nib Smoothing

glyeakley

My new Lamy 2000 seems to me like it is in need of some smoothing. Sometimes I love it and sometimes it drives me crazy. Does anyone know where I can get this done in a reasonable amount of time, as in a few weeks? Everyone with whom I've checked seems like they have LONG turnaround time - long, as in months. Thanks! Greg

Edited by glyeakley

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glyeakley

• 79spitfire

• Lince

• clmurphy

My new Lamy 2000 seems to me like it is in need of some smoothing. Sometimes I love it and sometimes it drives me crazy. Does anyone know where I can get this done in a reasonable amount of time, as in a few weeks? Everyone with whom I've checked seems like they have LONG turnaround time - long, as in months. Thanks! Greg

You may wish to speak to Greg:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/193962-expanding-nib-retipping-services/

Pendleton Brown (user: pb2 ) also has a great turnaround time and is very affordable. I have had several pens from PB and I love every one.

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

What ink are you using? I was having mixed results with a new 2000 EF filled with Waterman inks. I tried J Herbin Perle Noire and things have been very smooth. You may want to experiment with some other inks before sending the pen out for smoothing.

Edited by thaugen

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

What ink are you using? I was having mixed results with a new 2000 EF filled with Waterman inks. I tried J Herbin Perle Noire and things have been very smooth. You may want to experiment with some other inks before sending the pen out for smoothing.

I've tried Waterman Florida Blue, J.Herbin Eclat de Saphir, Aurora Blue, and currently have it filled with Aurora Black, all with similar results. It sometimes feels quite smooth, then will get 'toothy.' It is frustrating, and I've contacted Pendleton about doing some work on it. I'll report back. Greg

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

I've had some pens with issues like yours, and I've used toothpaste and a soft cotton cloth (aka old T-shirt).

Totthpaste is abrassive, so I rub the inner side of the nib and the upper part of the feeder (if the feeder is made of plastic). It lightly roughens the surface and may improve flow.

Juan

I would suggest sending it back to Lamy U.S.A. service. I had a nib on a Lamy Studio XF that was a little scratchy. They ended up replacing the nib with a new XF nib. I have dealt with Lamy service on a bent nib and some of my Lamy pencils. I have always received good service.

I think the cost is $7.50 return shipping. You would just write a note explaining the issues that you are having with the pen. The pen should be very smooth, especially with Auroa Blue. The Lamy 2000 is a great writer. It sounds like you are having some kind of issue with the pen. Perhaps, it could be the ink flow. You could take a little ammonia and water and rinse the pen well. It may just need to be cleaned. I remember my new Lamy 2000 having blue ink when I cleaned it out before using it.

I would try cleaning it out first before sending it in. The ammonia to water ratio is 1 to 10. I do not measure it exactly.

Glyeakley: Received my Lamy 2000 two weeks ago. Out of the box before even writing I look at it under a loupe (x20) and to my surprise the tins where very misaligned.

In 5 seconds I put them back in place with my nails. I guess the QC is not that strict, and it is a peaty. Such a nice pen should never give a hard time to its users.

I my case the situation was solved like I said in 5 seconds, no problem and know it is one of my favorites.

But in your case, or when people have no experience looking at nibs under a loupe the experience can really get frustrating.

Get a loupe and give it a try before trying the long way around.

Glyeakley: Received my Lamy 2000 two weeks ago. Out of the box before even writing I look at it under a loupe (x20) and to my surprise the tins where very misaligned.

In 5 seconds I put them back in place with my nails. I guess the QC is not that strict, and it is a peaty. Such a nice pen should never give a hard time to its users.

I my case the situation was solved like I said in 5 seconds, no problem and know it is one of my favorites.

But in your case, or when people have no experience looking at nibs under a loupe the experience can really get frustrating.

Get a loupe and give it a try before trying the long way around.

THANK YOU! Based on your suggestion I checked the alignment on my tines and discovered that mine were also badly misaligned. I straightened them as best I could, and this seems to have helped. I have sent a strongly worded letter to Lamy USA informing them that when I pay more than $100 for a pen I don't expect to have to do their QC for them. Thanks again for your help. Greg

Edited by glyeakley

If there are no alignment issues or baby bottom, etc........

Go to the auto parts store and buy some 2000 grit sandpaper. Lightly draw a few figure 8's. Write on some paper to find the toothy spots, and lightly sand those areas. This is what I do and all of my pens are smooth as butter.

However, if you have a fine, doing this will widen the sweet spot (moving it more towards a medium). If you have a medium, this will move it more towards a broad, etc.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, send it to a nib meister. There are many good ones.

Edited by clmurphy

Now if only Noodler's would make a refillable dry-erase marker, I would buy a lifetime supply....

EEK! :yikes: Not 2000! it's way too rough! IMHO! Get LAMY to fix it, I have a EF and it's super smooth!

If you want to do nib smoothing, get the smoothing kit from Richard Binder. It has the correct types/sizes of abrasive and a flossing sheet of brass to boot!

Or you could send it out to your fav. nibmister.

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

EEK! :yikes: Not 2000! it's way too rough! IMHO! Get LAMY to fix it, I have a EF and it's super smooth!

If you want to do nib smoothing, get the smoothing kit from Richard Binder. It has the correct types/sizes of abrasive and a flossing sheet of brass to boot!

Or you could send it out to your fav. nibmister.

As a victim of several early home-smoothing exercises, I heartily concur.

Regards

eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)