• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• wspohn

• RLTodd

• jaytaylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny; considering the last sentiment of the piece, he also seems to be under the subliminal powers of Patek Philippe .

:lol: I thought the exact same thing!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

The ironic thing is that you can make 500 pens and sell them (eventually) for $1500 each, or make 50 and sell them for $3000 each - although the latter usually go to well-off collectors in the Orient.

Seems to me this is just an extension of this principle. 3 pens, $170K. If they'd made 50 pens, no way would they be able to get that much for them.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Putting something into a stunning presentation box and sending it via armored car is really there to increase perceived value, rather than having much at all to do with actual value. Old tricks, indeed...

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Putting something into a stunning presentation box and sending it via armored car is really there to increase perceived value, rather than having much at all to do with actual value. Old tricks, indeed...

Yup - we had a client that couldn't sell his house. It was very reasonably priced.

I told him to raise the price $200,000. It sold within 3 weeks to someone that thought they were a real deal maker because they'd managed to bargain him down $50,000

I see this a lot, particularly in Vancouver with our large Asian population. If you don't value your item highly, they won't either. That is why they drink only the most expensive Scotch and wine (even though they often don't really like it and often mix both with soda pop). It is also why some pen companies no longer list prices on websites - the prices for the Orient are higher than for anywhere else.

It is all in the perception of value.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

The ironic thing is that you can make 500 pens and sell them (eventually) for $1500 each, or make 50 and sell them for $3000 each - although the latter usually go to well-off collectors in the Orient.

Seems to me this is just an extension of this principle. 3 pens, $170K. If they'd made 50 pens, no way would they be able to get that much for them.

I agree because 50 units destroys the perception of exclusiveness in the eyes of the prospect. But, if there are only three, well that is a different perception. Now those 57 pools of cash are still out there so someone just needs to come up with another 19 individual, diamond incrusted sets of three pens each that will snare them.

It is all frightfully silly but I expect we will see another diamond encrusted LE of two or three units being anounced with in the next six months, and it will be sold out before the ink is dry on the newspapers. Serious businessmen don't like to leave that much potential income out there un earned.

YMMV