Best Modern Pen In The World Contenders!

daaceking

Ok look everyone. I never mentioned there was a contest in which one pen would be selected, forcing everyone to buy that pen and resulting in the rest of the companies being bankrupt. It is matter of opinion for everyone, why they think a pen is good. That's it. There is no bad pen and no wrong answer. It just an area for people to learn about pens they havn't had the chance to experience. There will be no 'best pen'. This thread is simply, if there was the award, which pens would you nominate.

I have never used the 149 or even heard of it but now, from this thread, I have learnt it is from the 50s, can shatter and has a beautiful nib.

Edit: many strong opinions here. If anyone has anything negative to say then let it be a constructive critisism, good point followed by bad point followed by good point. E.g. Parker premier black is beautiful nib, made of plasticine and writes like silk (just an example, not a fact or opinion). :)

Edited by daaceking

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mdbrown

• Blade Runner

• daaceking

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for the Visconti Homo sapiens.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Ok look everyone. I never mentioned there was a contest in which one pen would be selected, forcing everyone to buy that pen and resulting in the rest of the companies being bankrupt. It is matter of opinion for everyone, why they think a pen is good. That's it. There is no bad pen and no wrong answer. It just an area for people to learn about pens they havn't had the chance to experience. There will be no 'best pen'. This thread is simply, if there was the award, which pens would you nominate.

I have never used the 149 or even heard of it but now, from this thread, I have learnt it is from the 50s, can shatter and has a beautiful nib.

Edit: many strong opinions here. If anyone has anything negative to say then let it be a constructive critisism, good point followed by bad point followed by good point. E.g. Parker premier black is beautiful nib, made of plasticine and writes like silk (just an example, not a fact or opinion). :)

Your question has been asked many times in the past. The results so far have been 'typical'. Your wording of the question invited particularly strong opinions. It might also help if you have some goal in mind to mention it in your post. What are kind of information are you seeking? Otherwise, you might be better served just reading the reviews of various pens rather than trying to solicit opinions on the 'best' pen. Besides, arguments about MB can pop up on any thread.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

If I could have any modern pen regardless of price but had to use it, I would probably go with one of the Sailor wood maki-e pens. There are some nice Nakayas out there as well.

As far as what's being made right now, Im honestly the most impressed by the Japanese pens. To be honest though, the only pen I own which can currently be purchased new is a Montblanc meisterstruck.

oh, and Ill take c/c over self filling pens, please. I dont mind refilling a pen daily, especially as I do not belong to the rather boring blue/black ink only crowd.

Brand loyalty is one of the biggest catalysts for friction on forums even when they are not forums dedicated to a particular brand. I think we have to read posts that are and are not flattering to our favorite brands and not feel that we have to respond to defend our preferences. Ultimately, we show our preferences with the pens we buy and don't buy.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

@jeffery

I totally agree, I have a sonnet which I love and nobody considers it to be a contender :'( . I do however remember Reading that sonnet is the most counterfeited fountain. There must be some popularity right?

Edited by daaceking

Brand loyalty is one of the biggest catalysts for friction on forums even when they are not forums dedicated to a particular brand. I think we have to read posts that are and are not flattering to our favorite brands and not feel that we have to respond to defend our preferences. Ultimately, we show our preferences with the pens we buy and don't buy.

It's not only brand loyalty. It's rare to have people go into non-MB threads and forums with the goal of bashing based on little or no experience, whereas that's not uncommon when MB comes up. A lot of it has to do with personal issues of class and economics, hatred towards the luxury lifestyle marketing, conceited and self-righteous views on values. Of course much of the pen industry has adopted the luxury niche market strategy, and there are many brands that price their pens comparably to MB, but MB gets targeted, because they are by far the most successful. I'm sure there are also bashers with nothing better to do than take shots at Lexus, Mercedes Benz and Rolex in their forums. These forums are meant to be fun. I guess bashers need fun too, those who can't be satisfied with their own favorites, but feel compelled to tear down others' favorites. Sad.

Edited by Blade Runner

Best modern pen? Gotta be Waterman Edson and it should be the sterling silver since the standard caps are easy to mar.

I mean it this time when I say, this clears everything up. And it is sad. Actually, my second topic was all about MB bashing, and it luckily got deleted a hour later. It is satisfying to have strong negative views about certain companies, probably to make themselves not feel sorry for not having the pen.

Hee, hee, hee ...

So you think it is all Brand envy eh? :roflmho:

That's funny.

I mean it this time when I say, this clears everything up. And it is sad. Actually, my second topic was all about MB bashing, and it luckily got deleted a hour later. It is satisfying to have strong negative views about certain companies, probably to make themselves not feel sorry for not having the pen.

Hee, hee, hee ...

So you think it is all Brand envy eh? :roflmho:

That's funny.

Whatever the reason, it's sad and speaks more about the basher than what's bashed.

Pilot VP has to be it (or a Lamy Safari/Al-Star, I am surprised this one hasn't come yet).

My 149 is my favorite pen overall, but it is a classic, not modern, imo.

O.A.M.D.G.

These unconstructive threads start because someone makes a statement implying MB is some how the absolute supreme holy grail brand. When arguments contrary to that are made, it becomes MB bashing. Dont see claims of absolute greatness being made of other brands.

Now if we can resume the purpose of this thread:

My vote here is Pelikan Souveran and Tradition series (there is a size and price point that fit different budgets)followed closely by Cross Townsend (nib is similar to Pelikans - smooth and expressive) and Parker Sonnets (Steel nibs have some flex).

Edited by jsroe

These unconstructive threads start because someone makes a statement implying MB is some how the absolute supreme holy grail brand. When arguments contrary to that are made, it becomes MB bashing. Dont see claims of absolute greatness being made of other brands.

Wow, talk about turning the story around. No, what REALLY happens is someone starts a thread and when anyone offers a positive opinion of MB the haters jump in and rip it to shreds even though it's not at all necessary. I personally don't care what anyone likes and especially don't care what they don't like... but it gets so tiresome to see people rip MB to shreds with either unsubstantiated claims about the pens or just potshots at the company simply because they don't like them.

For whatever reason, MB brings out the absolute worst in some people and they then make it a crusade to offer that every chance they get. I happen to believe that modern Parkers are overpriced and overrated but I don't feel the need to go in every thread where someone professes to like the modern duofold or sonnet and hammer Parker and their pens but let me or anyone else say they think the 149 is a contender for the best modern pen and you are guaranteed to get at least 3 or 4 unsolicited replies trashing the 149 and/or MB.

You have it backwards...

MODERATORS: LOCK THIS TOPIC!!!!!!

the debate is starting to kill me......

If only it were a debate but yeah, should be locked.

are mdbrown and Blade Runner on Mont Blanc's payroll?

What? I have to be on the payroll to want some balance to a discussion?

are mdbrown and Blade Runner on Mont Blanc's payroll?

What? I have to be on the payroll to want some balance to a discussion?

Fair and Balanced? Uh oh.......

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Your wish is our command.

Haters gonna hate. It's annoying. If you're a hater...don't hate. Kthanxbai.

Everyone will have a different "best" definition. The definition will change over time. For some, it may end up at a 149. For others, it'll end up as a black Esterbrook J with a 2556. Let everyone enjoy their definition of "best" please.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.