Best Modern Pen In The World Contenders!

daaceking

I would say the MB are the best marketed and advertised pens. Dont know about whether they are the best.

We are not talking about Montblanc we are talking about pens and the 149 while is made by MB is simply an amazing pen.

Those who love this pen (and many are) like it because of 2 main reasons

1.Its design which is classic, timeless and beautiful

2.Its a darn good writer. Actualy more then good its an excellent writer.

If somebody wants a MB pen just for the sake of having the white star he or she doesnt need to get the 149 which indeed aint cheap (but not more expensive then other Flagship pens from other makes as was already proven by Blade Runner :notworthy1: ) He or she can get a 144 which is much cheapper so lets leave all the MB like/dislike topic and focus at what the OP wanted to know and thats " Best Modern Pen In The World"

Respect to all

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mdbrown

• Blade Runner

• daaceking

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot MYU 701. Space age design coup (1970s)

Single piece barrel and nib - A modern take on the quill which closes down to a pocket size carrier.

Got to be contender.

(Not got a good picture, but will try and take one later, for those who don't know this pen)

Edited to add: Just realised OP specified still available - so not a contender for the title, after all

Edited by CS388

@ mdbrown

money is no object. It's just my opinion when I say the 149 is a bit pricey :)

somebody mentioned the 149 as a 50s pen. Can you still purchase it at pen shops new and still under manufacture? If it isn't under manufacture, I'm not sure if it classifies as 'modern'.

@ ultramagnus

I thought the premier black would be quality because of the multi process. It could be rubbish too. I despise the colour.

I agree that the 149 is a fantastic pen...

But...,

It's a love/hate pen (obviously). So I would not recommend it to the OP until he has held it...

For someone just starting out I would recommend that you purchase an Aurora 88 or Optima from a nibmeister like Richard Binder or John Mottishaw. It is extremely well made, has a very smooth piston filler, ink window, removable nib for easy cleaning, conservative design & size...all for about $300. Coming from either of these gentleman it will have an exceptional nib and will carry a full manufacturers warrantee.

Ron

"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32

"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

Of course I only have experience with the pens I own but I'll try this and it's a 3 way tie.....MB 149, Homo Sapiens, and the VP PFM.

Edit: While answering Georges' post about the PFM set in the reviews section, I can't see how I could forget that wonderful pen in this list. I'd like to amend my small offering here and remove the VP and officialy in it's place put the PFM.

Edited by greencobra

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

We are not talking about Montblanc we are talking about pens and the 149 while is made by MB is simply an amazing pen.

Well. Let's look at this logically. Let's take it step by step and see where it leads us.

You say the design is classic, timeless and beautiful. . . It doesn't do much for me personally, but I'll grant that it's been around for a long time, and a lot of people seem to like it for whatever reason, and other companies have copied it. These are the indications of a classic design. The problem here is that there are lots of pens around with classic designs. You could say the same about the Pelikan Souverän or the modern Parker Duofold, or about the many Bexley and Edison models that are styled after classic Parkers, Wahl-Eversharps, etc. I'd call the Nakayas (and the Edisons that mimic them) classic styles too. I'd call a very few more recent designs, such as the Lamy 2000 or Sheaffer Targa, modern classics too. So although the "classic, timeless, beautiful" thing is a good start, it's not enough by itself. If we're talking best in the world, that only brings you to the starting gate.

You say it's a darn good writer. . . That's sort of vague. A good writer in what way? There are sure a lot of pens around that are good writers. If you're talking nibs, we've reached the point in today's world where most of them are quite good. I also must point out that the MB 149 is available only with an 18K gold nib! Quite a few of us consider that material soft and somewhat inferior to 14K gold or even stainless steel. By comparison, you can get an Edison with your choice of steel, 14K or 18K gold nibs. Targas were made with Sheaffer's unique inlaid nib in steel or 14K gold. Bexleys are available with steel or 18K gold.

I do think that a comfortable grip, weight and balance (both posted and un-posted!) should also count toward being a "darn good writer".

So you've got a classic, timeless and beautiful design. You've got a good nib on it, and you've got a comfortable grip, and nice weight and balance. My Sheaffer Targa has all of those things too. My Bexley America the Beautiful has all of those things. My Edison Glenmont has all of those things. What makes the MB 149 better than those pens?

How many different colors does the MB 149 come in? Black? Oh, I understand you can get one made of gold with platinum inlay (which is rather pretty, I'll admit), or one encrusted with tiny diamonds. . . . the latter of which doesn't seem particularly practical, or tasteful, to me. Still, most MB 149s are made from plain black injection-molded thermoplastic (i.e. "precious resin").

Targas were made in a profusion of different finishes, including some pretty exotic ones: matte black, stainless steel, chrome plated, gold plated, sterling silver, and several colorful lacquers. Collectors can't keep track without a score card. Edisons go even further. Your imagination is just about your only limit in materials that you can get one made from: ebonite, celluloid, acrylic, high-tech polymers. You can also get Edisons done with urushi (including maki-e!) lacquer work, if you're willing to shell out for it.

OK, let's talk filling systems. My Bexley is a C/C pen, and so are the Targas. We should acknowledge that some people actually prefer C/C pens. However, I'm not crazy about that filling method. We're talking "best" here, so let's go ahead and scratch all the Bexleys off our list, and we can scratch off the Targa for the same reason. (Ho ho! I just now remembered that the original poster wanted current production pens, so the Targa wouldn't have qualified anyhow.) That does leave my Edison bulb-fillers to consider.

The bulb-filler is mechanically simpler than a piston-filler, holds more ink, and is easy to disassemble for cleaning, and easy to repair if the breather tube should ever clog or the rubber sac ever needs replacing. It has a large ink window (you can actually order them with your preference of large, small, or no window) so the ink supply is easy to monitor. The MB 149's piston filler seems to fall short on all of these counts.

Oh, and the Edisons have easily interchanged nib units (similar in principle to Esterbrooks). If I damage a nib, or if I simply want a spare or alternate nib, I can swap them easily. As far as I'm aware, the MB 149 doesn't have that feature.

So, in summary. . . My Glenmont has classic styling (resembling a vintage Parker Duofold). It's a good writer, that's comfortable to hold and nicely balanced (surprisingly lightweight for its size) either posted or un-posted. It's available in a huge range of materials and colors. You get your choice of steel, 14K or 18K gold nibs in interchangeable modules. You can also get the bulb filler which is easy to maintain and repair, holds a lot of ink, and is available with your choice of large, small or no ink window. It's hard for me to calculate how this is not "better" than a MB 149. It's basically offering everything that the MB 149 offers, plus X, Y and Z.

It doesn't have a white star on the end, though. :P

Some people don't understand what I mean by best so let me help:). When I say best, i mean a good looking pen, which writes well for what it was designed. Just as an example, I'm going to say, say that a pen was designed to be written in space, where there is no gravity. If it works for that purpose then great. If it doesn't work too well on earth, then that's fine because it was designed for space. :)

when I say modern, I mean not rare, antique etc. I mean you can buy it in the normal shops, the manufacturers sell it online etc.

The mb 149 is a bit pricey. I am fairly new to fountain pens so I don't know much at all but does no-one like Parker besides the 51?

But you are asking us what WE think is best and so what you mean by best is really irrelevant.

And I don't remember any pens mentioned so far in the thread that I would consider rare. Quite a few though are no longer sold by the manufacturers, however the Montblanc 149 certainly is still sold by the manufacturer

The Parker "51" is a great pen, but it is no longer made; it is though very readily available and relatively inexpensive. Almost all of the other Parker offerings that would likely fall in a "Best" category are also no longer made, with the possible exception of the modern iteration of the Duofold.

The Montblanc 149 is really not very expensive, particularly when viewed among the other top tier pens. It is a good general all around workhorse pen meant to be used.

But since I am still using the Whale Shark Intrigue, the MB 149 cannot be the "Best" pen.

Tony,

The OP is asking for everyone's opinion which is based on individual preferences, experiences, and budgets which may not apply to you. You don't have to tear down someone else's choice. Just propose your own. Targas are terrific pens. I used one exclusively for years when I was in school.

Edited by Blade Runner

This of course is just a personal preference thing and fun to chime in on. Every once in a while one of these threads pop up and I find it amusing how my tastes change even in a few months. Last time I remember one of these "list" threads, I don't think I ever heard of a PFM much less own one. Now it's on my Contender list. :lol:

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Exellent, Tony! Well said, and for me, that was just one more piece of evidence to say that THERE IS NO SINGLE BEST MODERN PEN.

You're right, no one's claiming there is a single best pen for everyone.

Edited by Blade Runner

Well. Let's look at this logically. Let's take it step by step and see where it leads us.

You say the design is classic, timeless and beautiful. . . It doesn't do much for me personally, but I'll grant that it's been around for a long time, and a lot of people seem to like it for whatever reason, and other companies have copied it. These are the indications of a classic design. The problem here is that there are lots of pens around with classic designs. You could say the same about the Pelikan Souverän or the modern Parker Duofold, or about the many Bexley and Edison models that are styled after classic Parkers, Wahl-Eversharps, etc. I'd call the Nakayas (and the Edisons that mimic them) classic styles too. I'd call a very few more recent designs, such as the Lamy 2000 or Sheaffer Targa, modern classics too. So although the "classic, timeless, beautiful" thing is a good start, it's not enough by itself. If we're talking best in the world, that only brings you to the starting gate.

You say it's a darn good writer. . . That's sort of vague. A good writer in what way? There are sure a lot of pens around that are good writers. If you're talking nibs, we've reached the point in today's world where most of them are quite good. I also must point out that the MB 149 is available only with an 18K gold nib! Quite a few of us consider that material soft and somewhat inferior to 14K gold or even stainless steel. By comparison, you can get an Edison with your choice of steel, 14K or 18K gold nibs. Targas were made with Sheaffer's unique inlaid nib in steel or 14K gold. Bexleys are available with steel or 18K gold.

I do think that a comfortable grip, weight and balance (both posted and un-posted!) should also count toward being a "darn good writer".

So you've got a classic, timeless and beautiful design. You've got a good nib on it, and you've got a comfortable grip, and nice weight and balance. My Sheaffer Targa has all of those things too. My Bexley America the Beautiful has all of those things. My Edison Glenmont has all of those things. What makes the MB 149 better than those pens?

How many different colors does the MB 149 come in? Black? Oh, I understand you can get one made of gold with platinum inlay (which is rather pretty, I'll admit), or one encrusted with tiny diamonds. . . . the latter of which doesn't seem particularly practical, or tasteful, to me. Still, most MB 149s are made from plain black injection-molded thermoplastic (i.e. "precious resin").

Targas were made in a profusion of different finishes, including some pretty exotic ones: matte black, stainless steel, chrome plated, gold plated, sterling silver, and several colorful lacquers. Collectors can't keep track without a score card. Edisons go even further. Your imagination is just about your only limit in materials that you can get one made from: ebonite, celluloid, acrylic, high-tech polymers. You can also get Edisons done with urushi (including maki-e!) lacquer work, if you're willing to shell out for it.

OK, let's talk filling systems. My Bexley is a C/C pen, and so are the Targas. We should acknowledge that some people actually prefer C/C pens. However, I'm not crazy about that filling method. We're talking "best" here, so let's go ahead and scratch all the Bexleys off our list, and we can scratch off the Targa for the same reason. (Ho ho! I just now remembered that the original poster wanted current production pens, so the Targa wouldn't have qualified anyhow.) That does leave my Edison bulb-fillers to consider.

The bulb-filler is mechanically simpler than a piston-filler, holds more ink, and is easy to disassemble for cleaning, and easy to repair if the breather tube should ever clog or the rubber sac ever needs replacing. It has a large ink window (you can actually order them with your preference of large, small, or no window) so the ink supply is easy to monitor. The MB 149's piston filler seems to fall short on all of these counts.

Oh, and the Edisons have easily interchanged nib units (similar in principle to Esterbrooks). If I damage a nib, or if I simply want a spare or alternate nib, I can swap them easily. As far as I'm aware, the MB 149 doesn't have that feature.

So, in summary. . . My Glenmont has classic styling (resembling a vintage Parker Duofold). It's a good writer, that's comfortable to hold and nicely balanced (surprisingly lightweight for its size) either posted or un-posted. It's available in a huge range of materials and colors. You get your choice of steel, 14K or 18K gold nibs in interchangeable modules. You can also get the bulb filler which is easy to maintain and repair, holds a lot of ink, and is available with your choice of large, small or no ink window. It's hard for me to calculate how this is not "better" than a MB 149. It's basically offering everything that the MB 149 offers, plus X, Y and Z.

It doesn't have a white star on the end, though. :P

You are nothing if not consistent. Couldn't pass up a chance to take a shot at Montblanc could you? This isn't really a debate, it was to get opinions. Your opinion is the Glenmont... wonderful. Why is it necessary to trash MB in order to reinforce the opinion? My vote is the 149, I don't need to shoot anything else down in order to offer it and let it stand on it's own.

Anti MB snobbery is alive well and very strong here... too bad.

If it is "too bad" that "MB snobbery is alive and well and very strong here" then you should be equally willing to accept that those who don't like MB and have had actual bad experiences with them are also "alive and well and very strong here".

To quote a famous man; "Too Bad"

If it is "too bad" that "MB snobbery is alive and well and very strong here" then you should be equally willing to accept that those who don't like MB and have had actual bad experiences with them are also "alive and well and very strong here".

Why is proposing your favorite snobbery? MB pen enthusiasts have just as much right to propose their favorite pen as anyone else.

Snobbery and Reverse Snobbery: two sides of a class conscious coin.

Edited by Blade Runner

I have had bad experiences with Parker and Sheaffer, Waterman too. Difference is that I don't need to dive in every time someone mentions one of them and trash the pen and the company. Some of the people that do so admit that the 149 writes nicely and is a good pen... then proceed to go off on MB anyway.

I can accept that people dislike Montblanc in general or the pen in particular. Where the problem lies is that the pen or the company cannot be mentioned in a thread without the vultures decending in and turn a conversation into a trashfest unnecessarily. It's impossible here to have a reasonable conversation with Montblanc in the mix...

Yes, too bad...

Edited by mdbrown

You are nothing if not consistent. Couldn't pass up a chance to take a shot at Montblanc could you? This isn't really a debate, it was to get opinions. Your opinion is the Glenmont... wonderful. Why is it necessary to trash MB in order to reinforce the opinion? My vote is the 149, I don't need to shoot anything else down in order to offer it and let it stand on it's own.

Actually, we have another thread active now asking people about their "favorite" pens. If you look at a MB 149 and that's what sets your heart a-flutter, and that's your favorite pen in the world, that's great. For somebody else it might be an Esterbrook J. That's why there are so many pen makers in the world, making such a wide range of different goodies for us. There's no accounting for what people like or don't like.

In this thread the question wasn't "favorite", it was "best". That implies some kind of reasoning. In fact, this thread started with a request to explain "why you think it is the best". So, I've given my reasons.

I also have to point out that the thread title is "World Contenders". If I didn't think the MB 149 was a contender, I wouldn't have bothered comparing my Edison to it. I don't believe that I wrote anything that could possibly be interpreted as an attempt to "trash MB". A silver medal isn't trash. We're talking about pens that are the top of the top here, all of them.

It's like a chip on the shoulder. If your choice is so good, what's the need to denigrate someone else's choice?

Edited by Blade Runner

Actually, we have another thread active now asking people about their "favorite" pens. If you look at a MB 149 and that's what sets your heart a-flutter, and that's your favorite pen in the world, that's great. For somebody else it might be an Esterbrook J. That's why there are so many pen makers in the world, making such a wide range of different goodies for us. There's no accounting for what people like or don't like.

In this thread the question wasn't "favorite", it was "best". That implies some kind of reasoning. In fact, this thread started with a request to explain "why you think it is the best". So, I've given my reasons.

I also have to point out that the thread title is "World Contenders". If I didn't think the MB 149 was a contender, I wouldn't have bothered comparing my Edison to it. I don't believe that I wrote anything that could possibly be interpreted as an attempt to "trash MB". A silver medal isn't trash. We're talking about pens that are the top of the top here, all of them.

My point is simple, I offered up the 149 as my choice. I don't need to explain why I might think it's superior to the glenmont, the Duofold, the Serenity.... or the vector. You know the funny part is that I own over 200 pens of which only 7 are Montblanc. I own more Sheaffers than I do Montblancs yet Montblanc is the only pen that seems to need defending. I realize Montblanc makes plenty of money and doesn't give a flip about me but their pens are very nice and I'd hate to see people pass them up without even giving them a try just because of the hate that seems to surround the company.

My 149 is among my favorite writers, not necessarily the favorite. I appreciate diversity and that no one pen is going to satisfy everyone. It would be pretty boring if MB were the only pen maker not to mention how expensive they would be (it's why I find myself buying AMD at every opportunity... we NEED them!) I just don't understand the compulsion to shed a negative light on MB at every opportunity...

I can accept that people dislike Montblanc in general or the pen in particular. Where the problem lies is that the pen or the company cannot be mentioned in a thread without the vultures decending in and turn a conversation into a trashfest unnecessarily. It's impossible here to have a reasonable conversation with Montblanc in the mix...

Yes, too bad...

I didn't bash nor snob pro or anti.

If in your opinion the 149 is the best pen in the world, so be it.

Just allow others to express their opinions too.

And if someone asks opinions of Parker, Sheaffer, or Waterman I would both expect and hope that you would report exactly what bad experiences with Parker and Sheaffer, Waterman you have had.

Yes, too bad...

I didn't bash nor snob pro or anti.

If in your opinion the 149 is the best pen in the world, so be it.

Just allow others to express their opinions too.

And if someone asks opinions of Parker, Sheaffer, or Waterman I would both expect and hope that you would report exactly what bad experiences with Parker and Sheaffer, Waterman you have had.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinion. I just get tired of those that HAVE to put MB down whenever they can whether it's even pertinent to the conversation or not. Again, I do not understand why one has to put MB down when they express their opinion as to what they like...