Boston Fountain Pen Database

Roger W.

A couple of years ago my Eglish colleague and I decided that pooling our information, especially on a pen found in such limited numbers could really help with research. No one collector has the ability to put together this large a collection of Bostons. Pat Lotfi emailed her 32 to me today bringing the database up to 183 pens! The database comprises five major collections and a couple of additional contributions here and there - each pen is important.

One of the most interesting aspects is how common some models are compared to others. While a 13 is very uncommon a 14 is even more so (there is only one 16 in the list - very rare). Or we anticipate a certain model should exist - does anyone have one? With 183 pens there are still some models that are "missing" like a 73 - that is in the middle of a range and probably exists. Or a 6 - that would be at the top of the small pen range and may not exit (these were "Doctors" pens and may have stopped at the stubby 5). Or the short lever fills having no 65 or 66 - being shorter did these not exist in the larger diameter pen? Then there are the metal pens. Tempoints show the poinsettia on plain but did Boston do it first? The lever filled metals tell as Boston uses DeFrance's lever and Tempoint licenses Sheaffer's but, the eyedroppers can overlap. Plain sterling can go either way as can Sheraton - Greek key is Tempoint.

Beyond the models what about quatities? We know from the first few years of production the nib read Boston F.P. Co. and there are only 3 of these in the database. We know that the earlier barrel imprint continues on longer than the first nib. But for being listed as one of W.A. Sheaffer's major competitors in 1915 we sure don't have a lot of pens. With over half of the pens made being BCHR and predominantely eye dropper pens I suspect many were tossed out. Boston specialized in small pens and the little BCHR eyedroppers probably did not impress on one the need to save it. I've also noticed that the small sections when wet are sometimes spongy so perhaps they were prone to breakage. Anyway, large maker of pens and there are precious few examples.

So if you have a Boston I encourage you to send me the information (I'll email you what we are looking for - rwolfhound@hughes.net) and I'll gladly share the list with you. The database is fairly stable as most of these pens are staying put - we're not chasing dolphins in the ocean.

Roger W.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• Vintagepens

• 79spitfire

• Tylerjordan

You've made me feel rather guilty at not having sent in any info yet. If you don't need photos, I can start listing some of the pens I have -- though a lot are missing nibs and/or feeds.

David;

Ugly or pretty we want them in the list (and that is just data not photos). There are a few in the list that aren't mine that I'd like photos of but, I haven't persued that yet. Yours would be the last large collection that I am aware of that is not in the database.

I'm sure others out there have one or two - I'd like them all.

Roger W.

I don't usually say this but, WOW - just WOW!

Roger W.

I'll see that wow and up you a zowee.

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

I also still need to photograph more fully the experimental bits and pieces from the Brandt group. Many of these I lent to Fultz for photography for his Boston article many years ago in Pen World. Most had to do with various mechanisms for retracting nibs, the idea apparently being something less like a conventional safety pen and more like a jointless eyedropper, where the nib was twisted to allow for filling.

post-760-0-60961600-1300222681.jpg

post-760-0-29408200-1300222696.jpg

• 1 year later...

There is a pen described as BOSTON on ebay UK in a group of five that includes an couple of junkers, an ordinary Waterman and a Summit.

Cap looks like WAHL ...... Nib described as DUCHESSA obviously a Frankenpen but someone is interested !

Item no 261028002882

Interesting? :hmm1:

Cheers

Dave

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/Aislingean/boston.jpg

Interesting, I have a small clipless Boston eyedropper pen, but I have no idea what model it is. The nib states: Boston Safety Pen 2, and the barrel has the imprints "Boston Fountain Pen Co. Boston Mass. U.S.A." And the line: "Pat Jan 24,'04" appears below the imprint and on the cap. The pen is made out of BCHR that has turned olive. The imprints are a bit on the light side so I haven't tried to clean or polish the pen for fear of loosing the chasing or imprints. Where would I find the model number info? Or is it simply a #2 eyedropper pen? Anyway your welcome to add it to the database. It's not going anywhere, it's part of my 'small pocket pen' collection... :vbg:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Wrong Boston, I'm afraid. European origin, Dutch to be specific, if I recall correctly.

No connection to the American company that is the topic of this thread.

The seller informs that it is stamped Boston USA which is why I mistakingly thought it may be of interest! :embarrassed_smile:

Cheers

Dave

Interesting, I have a small clipless Boston eyedropper pen, but I have no idea what model it is. The nib states: Boston Safety Pen 2, and the barrel has the imprints "Boston Fountain Pen Co. Boston Mass. U.S.A." And the line: "Pat Jan 24,'04" appears below the imprint and on the cap. The pen is made out of BCHR that has turned olive. The imprints are a bit on the light side so I haven't tried to clean or polish the pen for fear of loosing the chasing or imprints. Where would I find the model number info? Or is it simply a #2 eyedropper pen? Anyway your welcome to add it to the database. It's not going anywhere, it's part of my 'small pocket pen' collection... :vbg:

An eyedropper #2 nibbed Boston can be a 2, 12 or 32. At 3.5"-3.7" closed is the 2. A 12 is 5.125"-5.265". The 32 was introduced a little later for a mid sized pen 4.13"-4.355". BCHR #2 Boston's are the most commonly found of all Bostons. I'll include it in the database if you can give me cap width, barrel width, and overall length. More than likely the imprint is "Boston Safety Fountain Pen - PAT.JAN 26, 04. BOSTON, U.S.A." if it is different let me know. The nib should be "2 Boston Safety Pen" though there is an earlier nib to be found.

Roger W.

Wrong Boston, I'm afraid. European origin, Dutch to be specific, if I recall correctly.

No connection to the American company that is the topic of this thread.

The seller informs that it is stamped Boston USA which is why I mistakingly thought it may be of interest! :embarrassed_smile:

Cheers

Dave

No worries, thanks for bringing up the database all the same.

Roger W.

An eyedropper #2 nibbed Boston can be a 2, 12 or 32. At 3.5"-3.7" closed is the 2. A 12 is 5.125"-5.265". The 32 was introduced a little later for a mid sized pen 4.13"-4.355". BCHR #2 Boston's are the most commonly found of all Bostons. I'll include it in the database if you can give me cap width, barrel width, and overall length. More than likely the imprint is "Boston Safety Fountain Pen - PAT.JAN 26, 04. BOSTON, U.S.A." if it is different let me know. The nib should be "2 Boston Safety Pen" though there is an earlier nib to be found.

Roger W.

The pen is 4 3/16" OAL, capped. Cap is 7/16" diameter and barrel is 13/32" at it's widest point. It is slightly tapered to the ends. The imprint is as I stated earlier: Boston Fountain Pen Co. I was mistaken on the pat. date it is Jan 26, '04, but the cap has a different date of: July 5, '04 Does this mean this is a 'frankenpen'?

It also has no clip. It is a wonderful writer, and is the only eyedropper pen I own that isn't ill-behaved in public (doesn't spew ink when temps change) I only wish it had a clip, I might use it more, as I feel uncomfortable with clipless pens in my pockets.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

Roger W.

The pen is 4 3/16" OAL, capped. Cap is 7/16" diameter and barrel is 13/32" at it's widest point. It is slightly tapered to the ends. The imprint is as I stated earlier: Boston Fountain Pen Co. I was mistaken on the pat. date it is Jan 26, '04, but the cap has a different date of: July 5, '04 Does this mean this is a 'frankenpen'?

It also has no clip. It is a wonderful writer, and is the only eyedropper pen I own that isn't ill-behaved in public (doesn't spew ink when temps change) I only wish it had a clip, I might use it more, as I feel uncomfortable with clipless pens in my pockets.

See, it's a 32 and the way you were talking about small I though it the more common 2 (32 is still fairly common). There were two patents they were touting so both are correct and where they should be. Boston's superior feed usually keeps it from dripping etc. What else can I tell you - oh, it is one of the early 32's with that imprint as they went to Boston Safety (which just meant the pen the company never changed their name as some have suggested) and most pens show the later imprint - sales increase as a company progresses, generally, so I've not got a good guess on when this change was made. Often these are found with accommodation clips (after market) so you could do that. We now have 237 pens in the database.

Roger W.

Edited by Roger W.

I also have a Boston Safety eyedropper 32. The cap has a large snail pattern gold filled band and the nib is marked Boston Safety pen. I keep trying to upload photos but alas cannot get it to work.

Fern

Roger W.

See, it's a 32 and the way you were talking about small I though it the more common 2 (32 is still fairly common). There were two patents they were touting so both are correct and where they should be. Boston's superior feed usually keeps it from dripping etc. What else can I tell you - oh, it is one of the early 32's with that imprint as they went to Boston Safety (which just meant the pen the company never changed their name as some have suggested) and most pens show the later imprint - sales increase as a company progresses, generally, so I've not got a good guess on when this change was made. Often these are found with accommodation clips (after market) so you could do that. We now have 237 pens in the database.

Roger W.

Thanks Roger, I had wondered which pen I had. It also has no gold trim whatsoever! It appears to have been made that way. I'll have to look for an appropriate clip. What kind of value do these have? I think I paid about U.S. $20 for it.

Thanks Roger, I had wondered which pen I had. It also has no gold trim whatsoever! It appears to have been made that way. I'll have to look for an appropriate clip. What kind of value do these have? I think I paid about U.S. $20 for it.

It's worth about $60. Early pens were often just the hard rubber parts of the holder and the pen (nib). A 32 is a 32 plain or with a band or with a clip (later). I believe if a catalog is found that there will be additional digits which will mean it had a band or a clip. We have a glimpse of that in a 1916 leaflet that has 3 digit numbers for banded models. Same methodology is used for Wahl Tempoints.

Roger W.

Recent acquisition: a #12 BHR screw-cap ED with trefoil filigree GF overlay.

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/10474a.jpg

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/10474b.jpg

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/10474c.jpg

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/10474g.jpg