Recommendations for fountain pen storage?

Scribbles

Here is a fast photo of my desk top pen holder. Got it from a guy on eBay. In fact I bought 3 and had one custom made. If you would like I will go back and see if I can find him. As I remember he was not expensive.

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribbles

• Walter's daughter

• dwmatteson

• Samovar

I've put the overflow from my glass case (shown in my avatar at the moment) into an old wooden test tube rack much like the racks shown by others (though far more modest, only room for 6 pens).

William

i use two leather cases from levenger's for my best pens (a bit pricey and they hold just around 10 pens each, i think, but also very nice to hold and to open); for the rest i use an old large box for silverware, which has slots for the better pens and open trays for the pretty "junk" pens.

see the picture here of the levenger leather case and of my pens, which they don't seem to be offering anymore.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

I MUST learn how to post photograhs on here (my son put the avatar on for me), as I am very pleased with my pen "roll" I bought at a knitting and stitching exhibition. It was actually designed to take lace bobbins, but I saw at once its pen-holding potential! Before I joined FPN I could take it out with me in my coat pocket. Now, I'm afraid, it is a little too fat! :blush:

"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young

I use a simple felt pen wrap that I bought from Pendemonium, probably many other stores carry something very similar.  It won't protect a pen from a real crunch, but it does protect nicely from scratches or minor jostling.  I like it because it doesn't really weigh anything and it would be hard for a pen to fall out of there.  I keep it in my briefcase, so my pens ride to work with me in the morning and home at night.  And then it lives in my home office over the weekend.

I went to look at the pendemonium web site and located the wrap I think you are talking about. Its the black felt one right? How does it secure pens from falling out the side (or does it)?

It looks like a handy way to carry pens around in a briefcase or suitcase. I'm not sure how well it would work as a desk holder but I think I still want one for road trips. Thanks for the idea.

Each pen sits in an individual pocket that's about 4" deep, then a flap of about 3" covers the whole set, then you roll the wrap and tie it. The pen on the outside edge is deeply enough tucked into its pocket that I can't see it falling out. I would not suggest putting very small pens like a Speeno or a Kaweco Sport in that outside slot (they're fine in the other positions, though, and I did carry a Speeno in the wrap for awhile). You could probably dig a pen out of that slot with the pen roll tied, but you'd have to work at it a little bit. To be even more secure, you could refrain from using the very outside pocket.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I store my pens upright in a box from Levenger -- a 3 compartment desk accessory. Each compartment holds 3x5 cards or a foam block they sell which holds 8 pens upright. One's used as a pen cup, one holds 3x5 cards, and the other has a foam block in it.

I've concluded that storing fountain pens upright contributes to dry feeds and hard starting. I want some of the same Ikea ice tube trays fjf is using, with some brackets so I can slide them in and out from underneath my desktop.

I'm also thinking about one of those travel wraps/cases. Maybe I can get my sister or wife to make one for me.

I store my pens upright in a box from Levenger -- a 3 compartment desk accessory.  Each compartment holds 3x5 cards or a foam block they sell which holds 8 pens upright.  One's used as a pen cup, one holds 3x5 cards, and the other has a foam block in it.

I've concluded that storing fountain pens upright contributes to dry feeds and hard starting.  I want some of the same Ikea ice tube trays fjf is using, with some brackets so I can slide them in and out from underneath my desktop.

I'm also thinking about one of those travel wraps/cases.  Maybe I can get my sister or wife to make one for me.

Is this the desk accessory you mean?

Levenger Morgan Card and Pen Holder

Just curious if I found the right item.

Here's that pen box in cherry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_4261.jpg

It's Levengers too.

Greetings Scribbles,

I have always kept and stored my pens in a vertical position- my logic for doing this is to allow the ink to drain back into the reservoir, converter or cartridge and thus reduce the chance of clogging the ink channel and nib. I keep the pens I am currently using in a pen frog, (don't laugh- that's what they're called). The pens I am not using, I keep in their original boxes, (kept on end so the pen remains vertical), on a shelf- I like to keep them vertical in the boxes because it allows more room on the shelf for pens and they are easy to retrieve, just like picking a book or DVD off the shelf.

Hope this helped.

BTW, I love the name Scribbles for a cat- I love cats, (used to hate 'em- but I've been loving them since 1983). :D

Best wishes,

Sean

:)

Edited by corniche

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Here's that pen box in cherry

I'd say it looks better in the Cherry finish than the colors sold now. The box appears to be sold in black, red and tan only. Actually, the box you have looks like a slightly different product. Too bad I like yours better :(

The new one is covered in leather and I much prefer bare wood.

Thanks for the photo. It gives us a better view of the holder than the online pictures. It also gives us a good look at the foam insert. In the catalog photo that is barely visible.

I guess if I see anything on sale at Levenger's that I like I should get it. It could mean the product is being discontinued or changed.

Scribbles: vaguely similar. The one you show has 2 compartments perhaps 5" wide. Mine has 3 compartments 3" wide. So, the 3x5 cards are held upright, and the foam block holds rows of 3, 2, and 3 pens. And it's made of wood. I think I got it because it was a closeout discount. Jeen has the same thing I do.

I MUST learn how to post photograhs on here (my son put the avatar on for me), as I am very pleased with my pen "roll" I bought at a knitting and stitching exhibition. It was actually designed to take lace bobbins, but I saw at once its pen-holding potential! Before I joined FPN I could take it out with me in my coat pocket. Now, I'm afraid, it is a little too fat! :blush:

If you have a chance could you maybe post a link or picture for the roll you picked up at the knitting exhibition? My wife is a knitter and she is starting a pen habbit. It's something she might like. I'm also wondering how similar it is to the felt roll on pendemonium.com (I like that very much).

Scribbles, I've only just seen your request concerning the pen roll - sorry.

As yet, I am not "clever" enough to put photographs on here, although I do have a digital camera.

I will ask one of my sons to show me (my youngest did my avatar for me), or to quickly do it for me.

Watch this space!!

Angela

My middle son, Graham, is going to put some photographs on here for me :)

I've now also had a look at the Pendemonium site. The felt roll on there is the same in principle and probably of a softer material. Mine's pretty though!

|Teaching mother something new is like trying to teach a tree how to dance...| :bonk:

post-36-1163540115_thumb.jpg