The Best Of The Worst

corniche

I have about a dozen I love, and usually have 6 or so inked up at any given time, but there's one that hasn't been out of rotation for about 6 months, so I guess that is a candidate for 'best'.

It's an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe with B steel nib that has been ground to a smooth stubby cursive by Oxonian. The pen was actally one of his own, for personal use, but I managed to wrestle it from him as part of a trade!

The worst? A Dollar 717i (what do you expect for the price?). But it ties with the Noodler's piston pens. I got two, the nibs were shockingly bad, I was very disappointed. I still have them because I was told that Manuscript Calligraphy nibs will fit, and I intend to buy a Callig Set and change the nib units over.

ps one of the dozen I love is a P51!

Edited by tawanda

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• raffaele

• WanderingAuthor

• Sailor Kenshin

Best: 1960ish MB149 with KF nib ties with a 1946 P51 w/"wedding band" cap, F nib.

Worst: 1999 Omas Ogiva EF nib that will not write on the up or downstroke and skips frequently on the horizontal.

My best: My Pelikan m605 is probably my most reliable writer, and it is always in rotation. My Waterman Expert, relatively cheaper pen that it is, also is a fantastic writer.

My worst: My Levenger True Writer -- after the first nib fell apart, customer service quickly replaced it. Then, when the second nib fell apart (the feed literally fell off...), I didn't bother with getting a replacement. Anybody want a tortoise Levenger pen body for cheap?

Best: 1960ish MB149 with KF nib ties with a 1946 P51 w/"wedding band" cap, F nib.

Worst: 1999 Omas Ogiva EF nib that will not write on the up or downstroke and skips frequently on the horizontal.

I have a Visconti Van Gogh that is doing the downstroke skip dance occasionally...the nib looks fine, feeder is in alignment, jupiter is in mars; so what would cause it?

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Best: Yard-O-Led Grand, bold nib.

Worst: There were so many that were worst in various ways ... loose caps, needlepoint nibs, cheap plastic barrels, spoon feeds that burp. Too many to name.

My worst pen, hands down, is a Parker Insignia which I purchased new for about $60. The fine nib was so scratchy that I returned the pen to Montgomery for an exchange. The second Insignia was exactly as scratchy as the first. It's a nice looking pen, but I never use it.

There are so many good pens it is hard to decide a favorite. My favorite medium nib is a matte black Sheaffer Targa, which is a pleasure to write with. For fine nibs, my Parker Vacuumatic narrowly wins over a Pelikan M150, although I find myself using a Sheaffer Crest with a Triumph nib for much of my writing. It could be that I just like playing with the snorkel filler.

As much as I have moved beyond FPN, there are topics like this that make me realize the importance of such an internet bulletin board. For example someone mentioned awhile back that the John Holland Jewel fountain pen was the most beautiful pen ever produced, and someone else (LedZepGirl) said the W-E Doric was the most beautiful one. I now own 6 John Hollands and 3 Dorics, and I'm always looking for more. To the subject at hand:

Best:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/IMG_1830.jpg

The Moore 94-A (1941-1946). Why? I own three of these pens, and they all are in heavy rotation. As opposed to the Parker 51, the Moore 94-A has a nib that also cuts through carbon paper, but it offers a lot more character in daily writing. That's not to say I don't like the Parker 51. I have acquired one recently that has made me a believer. Honorable mentions go to the Parker 21 (the best pen performance for the price), and the Pelikan M215 (a perfectly built modern pen).

Worst:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pilot_610_2.jpg

I have a few pens that I have disliked. But the model I dislike the most is the Pilot Vanishing Point. Why? As opposed to earlier designs from the 60s and 70s, the newer models are heavy, and are uncomfortable to hold. I have owned two, both had flow problems with their existing nibs. The only saving grace was a Binder-stub nib I acquired that makes it much more enjoyable to write with. For a first time pen purchase, I would never recommend this pen in any color.

Why are you saying so?? it hurts me veeeeeery much....i want to buy a pilot capless....but you can't say it works bad....pleeeease!!!

It hurts me too! I want one with B nib!

My best pen: Pelikan M800 Italic Broad nib.

My worst pen: a chinese called Crown.

I like most of my pens, the expensive ones are not always the best, I have a cheap plastic with no logo thats writes excellent.

The worst: the fake Montblanc I bought in china, it looked very nice in the store but when I came home I noticed that it was not straight, it was banana shaped! Well atleast it wount roll of the table :thumbup:

Best: I might have to say my Visconti Romanica vermeil. This pen has never let me down. Looks fantastic, feels great, beautifully smooth and luscious fine 18kt two-tone Visconti nib. Double reservoir so I can travel with it. I am blessed with some great pens, but the Romanica stands out as a great and practical companion for work and pleasure.

Worst: A Gucci fountain pen, "cigar" style, black barrel, gold band with Gucci logos and 18kt gold nib, again with Gucci logos. Purchased from the Gucci store in Rome a couple of years ago. Looks great, but never, ever wrote well. Skipped like crazy. Ink spills out onto the nib and dries up. Spent quite a bit of money sending it to the US from Australia to be worked on by a great nibmeister, loved it for a couple of days when it got back, then the problems started again, and the nib was strangely bent after just sitting in my pen chest for a couple of days! Still, I can't bring myself to throw this pen out. It's a souvenir of a great holiday in Rome. At least I'm fortunate to have a silver lining in my worst pen experience.