What Is The Best Brown Ink In The Market?

dudaymd

I love brown ink! My favorites are Levenger Cocoa for a rich, deep, dark brown and Private Reserve Copper Burst for a brighter, lighter brown. I just bought a bottle of PR Chocolat last weekend and it's growing on me as well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• amarjit

• Parker Quink Turquoise

• Sandy1

Iroshizuku Tsukushi

Followed by MB Toffee which is a bit too red but behaves beautifully, just not as beautifully as the above.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Diamine Saddle Brown for a nice medium brown. Waterman Havana Brown for a red-brown. MB Toffee Brown for a nice shading brown.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

Lie de The for light and Tsukushi for dark (got a little sheen to it).

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Lie de The for light

+1 ;) J, Herbin's Lie de The (tea colour) is the only brown ink I have at the moment, but I enjoy its shading variations with more flexible nibs.

BTW, it's surprising that this thread has not been moved, as it is not directly related to Pelikan pens...

Noodler's #41 Brown... a deep, rich, full brown color. No red undertones like Waterman's Havana Brown. Smooth writing and beautiful!

Edited by texaspenman

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png "Of all of the instruments of war, diplomacy, and revolution, the pen has been the silent giant determining the fate of nations." -Justin Brundin

It depends on the width and flex of the nib...and paper too.

My Pelikan brown is very nice in regular flex nibs, a nice reddish brown.

In Semi-flex it is not so vibrant; it is a different tone of brown.

I have a similar experience with my MB Toffee, where the tones in regular flex lighter than in semi-flex.

Regular nib MB

Fine was light with dark trails.

Medium was 50-50

Broad was dark with light trails.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Lie de The for light

+1 ;) J, Herbin's Lie de The (tea colour) is the only brown ink I have at the moment, but I enjoy its shading variations with more flexible nibs.

BTW, it's surprising that this thread has not been moved, as it is not directly related to Pelikan pens...

yup, my mistake, i started a new post about my pelikan level 5 yesterday and i forgot to move on to the inks portion of the forum :(. Being a bit new to FPN, I didn't know how to move it. I have J Herbin's Lie de the and I like it too.

+1 Cafe des Iles. +1 PR Copper Burst. I used to really enjoy Waterman Havana until I tried these two.

I never finish anyth

Pelikan Brilliant Brown is my fave. Rich color, nice shading. And it dries to the in-bottle color. Also, reportedly, the favorite of Hershey Foods. Yum!

Dream in ink

Herbin's Tea Dregs ;) (sorry, Lie de The ;) ) & Diamine Sepia are my current favourite browns, and also happen to be in the two pens I'm using the most at present.

Lie de The for light

I have been a bit under the weather and fell behind in my duties. I will now move this from the Pelikan Nest to Inky Thoughts.

Bill

Noodler's Walnut is my favorite brown. I love the dark color, and it also happens to be the best behaved brown I've tried.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I can recommend these three excellent brown inks that I use regularly. I always keep one pen inked with a brown ink, usually a Parker "51" or Vacumatic.

Dark Brown: Diamine Chocolate

Brown with reddish tint: Waterman Havana Brown

Lighter Brown: Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown

My next brown will probably be Noodler's #41 Brown.

Edited by bhbarto

Not sure it's a brown but received a letter last year written in Visconti Sepia which looked lovely. Lots of shading in a 1.3mm stub. It was on a slightly cream paper which would have affected things but anyway, for what it's worth.