Ink Bottle Storage Case

pencase

Hello,

As some of you may be aware, I make cases/cabinets for pens. However, I keep noticing the huge interest on the site in inks, and I am wondering how people who use different colours store the 'bottles in use'.

Is it just a matter of keeping them on a desk, or are they better stored in a small 'self contained' unit?

It would be interesting to hear your views.

Geoff.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pencase

• Jimothy

• Black Rose

• FLJeepGuy

Except for one bottle of Levenger ink, I keep the inks in their original boxes inside a plastic bin because I have a cat that might try to eat the boxes. The one bottle of Levenger ink that is out is on the Levenger 3-pen holder that holds an ink bottle too.

Smith Premier No. 4

I'm putting together a storage case for my pens using a Gerstner International GI-532. The top bin of the case (3" deep) will be used for ink storage.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

I have a cupboard about 16" wide, 12" high and 10" deep with bottles of ink piled up on top of each other (in their boxes) till they almost fill it. Then there are a few extras on top too!

Duplicates at the bottom, unloved inks at the back, daily users to the fore.

A nice selection of shelves would go a long way to improving stability!

Chris

Mine are displayed and stacked on shelves. However, I have been thinking of exploring the cost of a small cabinet with a glass door. I found one at a thrift shop that I use for spices in the kitchen. If I could find more or something else like it I'd buy it. Otherwise, the bottles and boxes get dusty.

Cedar

My ink bottles are currently living in a Really Useful Box from Staples. Clear, sturdy plastic with a nice cover. Comes in several sizes. The less often bottles sit in a fishing tackle type box for crafts.

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

Hello again,

Thanks for your replies. I find it interesting that everyone uses a different system. Presumably you have a ceratin amount of ink bottles 'in use' at any one time, and all those 'in use' need to be accessible, but stored to stop dust gathering.

Do you keep the ones 'in use' on a desk, or do they just take up too much room?

Wouldn't it be better to have a longer, but shallower unit - say 2 bottles deep, 4 or 5 bottles wide for the ones that are in daily/weekly use? That type of design could fit comfortably at the back of a desk, without being too intrusive, and the ink would be at your fingertips.

Do you think such a unit would be better with a perspex, see-through sliding front, or better with a 'closed' wooden front? I guess perspex would be better.

Geoff.

My bottles of ink live in their original boxes, in a plastic storage drawer under my bed. I don't want to tempt my son (yet), who is almost seven, lives with autism, and has impulse control issues. :o

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

I store most of my ink on a shelf in the master bathroom.

Those of you with small children would do well to keep the ink bottles out of reach of your children. When I was three years old I got a hold of a large bottle of Sheaffer's Skrip ink, must have been at least a pint, and poured about half on my parents' new rose velvet couch, and I drank the rest of the ink, confirming for the rest of my life a taste for Sheaffer's blue black ink. The couch found its way to the finished basement. I can only remember cavorting with the ink and drinking from the bottle. I have no idea what my parents did to me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm cleaning up an old recipe box, made of wood, to place my "in use" inks. At the moment it's holding cartridges and "Other" pens...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/DSC01293.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/DSC01295.jpg

Hello, Geoff.

Thanks for asking this question.

You are in England, which makes it a little difficult for me to use your services, but don't think I haven't eyed your cases. They are wonderful.

I've been thinking about an ink station for some time. Something that will store multiple bottles of ink (I am in love with Noodler's), most of mine are about 3-inch-tall bottles, but I do have the 4-5 oz bottles and a couple of 16 oz bottles representing the ink I use the most. I also want drawers to hold syringes, blotting paper (about 4x8 inches), lint free cotton wipes (4x4 inches), perhaps a small plastic beaker or two as had from some ink mixing kits, a drawer for an extra cartridge or nib or two, and a pull down or drop front other fair sized panel I can line with larger sheets of blotting paper to use as the actual ink "work" area. Then to be really crazy, a holder for two plastic cups on the side for water to rinse things after the inking has been completed (I'm a clutz). I've been trying to figure out how to combine a Gerstner or Union tool chest with the design of a couple of antique writing boxes I've seen, but I just haven't hit the right combo yet.

My actual ink storage is a 2-drawer wire filing unit on wheels. It doesn't travel much, I just rummage for the ink I need and then head to the bathroom sink. Meh.

Anyway, that's where my thoughts are.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I am using a deeper than usual cigar box. It is the perfect size for the smaller/regular size Noodler's ink bottles that I primarily buy. There is that downside of having to take the ink out to see which it is, but it still saves on some clutter.

"Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." -- William Faulkner

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I keep mine here.

Geoff I did consider one of your pen chests. I think that a deeper drawer (or two) at the bottom of your existing chest would be the way to go.

Edited by Jimothy

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

I keep them on a spice rack I got at Bed Bath and Beyond - plenty of room, simple, and inexpensive. They're on a wall in my studio that doesn't get very much light.

I use these "recycled" crates. Wood, sturdy and stackable. They are about 22 inches long, 12 or so inches wide and 6+ inches deep. They show up in the grocery around Christmas or so. The fruit is wonderful!!!!

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

I keep mine here.

:notworthy1:

Wassup?

I keep them here - as in see the pic in my original post.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Hello,

Thank you for all your replies (and stories). It's amazing how inventive you all are at ink storage.

I know you all like to store your pens in a methodical, well-presented manner, but it seems that ink doesn't require quite the same degree of consideration for the majority of people - which I can understand, of course. Although saying that, some of you are really 'pushing the boat out' regarding storage.

The reason I posed the question was after reading an interesting thread regarding..."what would you rather have - one pen and many inks, or one ink and many pens". This got me wondering exactly how and where this accessory was stored. And now I know - basically anywhere, but mostly within some kind of container (and out of the reach of young hands).

I've really enjoyed reading your posts - thanks.

Geoff.

I keep mine here.

:notworthy1:

Wassup?

I keep them here - as in see the pic in my original post.

Yes, I know.

That's an amazing collection and storage case.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse