Composition-book Style Notebook

Snezhni

Alright, I know the looking-for-a-journal topic has been brought up a lot, and I looked at a few posts but did not find what I need.

So, I will ask for myself:

I need a notebook that has dimensions similar to those of a regular composition book.

It needs to be no more than 10$ and of course must be fountain-pen friendly.

I don't care how it looks or what it is made of, as long as it fits those criteria.

Actually I have run into regular Staples brand composition books which take ink very well, but it's pretty much hit or miss...and mostly miss!

Please advise.

Ты слышишь?

Нас зовёт на волю из темницы

Весны победной шум...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Snezhni

• Paddler

• NateB

• farseer911

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Clairefontaine Clothbound basics they are 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 and you could get a bulk pack....

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

If you don't care about the looks, check out the Norcom composition books from Walmart. They cost less than $2 and hold up against every ink I've used. Quality of the paper is surprising in such a cheap book.

I heard about this book here at FPN and was very skeptical until I had the pleasure of using one.

Try it out, I think you'll like it.

I will second TMac's recommendation. The Norcom branded Comp books, especially the ones marked, "Made in Brazil", are great notebooks. They are cheap, and work well with even my rather wet writing pens. The same Norcoms made in China or India or Vietnam, however dont work as well with fountain pen s, they can be hit or miss.

Some good suggestions so far.

The Staples near you probably stocks Black n' Red notebooks. They have smooth, 24lb/90g paper that is FP friendly.

keeping an eye out for: a vintage ED with a battered body but a superflex+ nib...and more M640s. ;)

I'm lately enjoying Sasquatch comp books from Carolinapads. Recycled content & available at Target for $2 each.

...I'm not finding Brazil-made Norcom pads lately, for whatever that's worth - maybe they are available elsewhere - but not here in my particular corner of upstate NY.

Edited by bythbook

Thanks for the info, guys!!

I'll have a look at some of those.

Ты слышишь?

Весны победной шум...

Since you want something like composition notebooks, why not use exactly that? Those made in Brazil by Norcom are fine as are the Staples brand made of bagasse. It is easy to make covers or have them made to your taste. I've also found covers at Office Depot that look very professional, but one must trim about 1/8 inch off the back cover of the comp. notebook to slide it into the slot. Those are made for spiral bound proprietary inserts. The inserts are usable.

Alright, I'm back from WalMart. Picked up one of these Norcom composition books, and it is to my satisfaction!! There weren't any made in Brazil; only made in Vietnam, but the one I got takes ink well.

Thank you!

Ты слышишь?

Весны победной шум...

I use Mead composition books for many of my journals. They have 200 pages bound into one section. A high price for one is $1.69. A discount store will have them for $0.99. If you wait for an August "back to school" sale, you can get them for $0.50. They don't feather or bleed with any of the twenty or so inks I have tried in them, and their quality seems to be very consistent.

Cubic Archon,

A composition book is a notebook 24.7 X 19 cm. It has marbled cardboard covers and a cloth binding. Ruled pages. Its name comes from its use in the schools in the U.S. for writing essays or "compositions".

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Paddler,

Thank you for the word on Mead comp. books; I will keep that in mind for my next one!

Ты слышишь?

Весны победной шум...

"Composition book" isn't a term we use here in the UK. What sort of thing are they?

They are a notebook with a sewn binding and a heavy cardstock cover. The most common types are ruled, but they can be gridded or blank. Students are often required to use them for english or writing classes. They retail for a dollar or two.

Wiki entry for Composition Book.