The New Sheaffer 300 Pens

PenHero

Sheaffer is offering these two new models with fine nibs (basically the same nib unit as the Prelude). I would imagine if you wanted a fine in a model other than these two, your dealer could exchange the sections.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• lovemy51

• davefoe

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is an old thread, but it stil comes up when searching for the Sheaffer 300. I would like to briefly share my experience with this pen. I have the piano black and gold trim, because I really like the looks of it, specially the two tone nib. Some places say it is 22k gold plated, I don't know but it is a more saturated gold color than Sheaffer's own 14k nibs or gold plated vintage imperials, even the gold plated agio is paler.

I own several Preludes, including a recent Bic made one and some vintage ones made in Fort Madison, including one with a 18k fine nib. I can point several differences between the Fort Madison and the Bic ones (I am not sure where those were made), the main one is that Fort Madison nibs are more wet and slide on paper super softly. The nib from the 300 has a very different point, both in shape and size, I can only describe it as smaller. No doubt they are using different manufacturing processes on the modern pens. It's worth noting that the nibs are exactly same shape and size among the Preludes and the 300 (the Award and Agio too, even if they may differ in decorations) and even have the same dimensions as the calligraphy nibs.

This could lead to the belief that nibs can be exchanged between pens, however this is not the case. More precisely, this is "almost" the case. I have tried to install the calligraphy nibs on the Prelude and the 300 and they fit in the section, but there must be some minor difference between the inner shape of the section or the collector because the ink flow is never right. But some Prelude nibs can successfully be installed in the 300. Something interesting I found is that the vintage 18k Prelude nib I own, somehow sits deeper into the section of any pen I have tried it on. It is the same shape and size as the steel nibs and I have no explanation for that, I think it may be thinner than steel nibs.

Back to the topic of the Sheaffer 300 itself...

I really like it. In fact this is the only brand new Sheaffer I have ever purchased. I got it for less than the price listed here about a year ago. At first I was unsure if I would like it enough to use it on a regular basis. For everyday use I prefer the inexpensive and charismatic lines of the Lamy Safari with a 1.1 calligraphy nib or the softness and wetness of a vintage Targa. But to my surprise, the 300 is quite comfortable for long writting sessions. Uncapped it is exactly the same size as the Prelude, but wider and heavier (maybe too much for the taste of some). The nib is soft and wet enough, maybe drier than the equivalent Prelude, but with a very marked sweet spot. At some angles the nib will struggle to lay in on paper. But this is in no way a problem for normal writting.

Now about that section... yes, it is a very generic/boring design but it looks and feels a bit higher quality the Prelude's (which was never the strong area of that pen) and it is wider, I find it very comfy. By the way, the black finish on the brass body seems to me more resistant than the one on the tuxedo Prelude, I have yet to scratch my 300. The massive clip is nice, but ridiculously heavy. It seems to be cut frum a solid piece of metal. On the inside of the identation that runs along the clip you can see evidence of the machine that cut it. This may strike some as a poor finish or something, but you have to look for it to even notice and I think it is an interesting detail. Everything about this pen feels quite solid and serious.

So this is a pen I really like to use, a very nice surprise from Sheaffer. Some details remind me of old Targas. I would like to see new finishes (a Tuxedo or a deep green would be nice, I am not really a fan of the marbled pens). I heard somewhere that this model is being replaced by the Sagaris, but I am not sure about that. I am thinking about getting the chrome trime.

I recommend the 300, it's hard to be dissapointed by it. Hope other brands make pens as interesting and dependable as this. For me it is a gentle, friendly giant.

Do you post the pen? I have a RB 300 and find the cap upsets the balance of the pen because it is so heavy. It almost seems that the weight of the 100/300 models is supposed to give the user a sense of quality.

I've had a 300 in black with chrome for the past two years in daily service. I love the pen. As I have been using it daily there have been no finish issues. Albeit it is heavy I really enjoy it. It's been on a steady diet of PR DC Supershow Blue.

Glad to see they have expanded the finishes. I also have a Prelude and I also find it an enjoyable pen. Though it has been put aside for the 300. I figure you can't go wrong with either pen.

My thoughts

Rowdy