Ring Top Pen Chains

Belles-lettres

As a frequent weskit or vest wearer,I have to admit to being fascinated by the concept of pens made to fit into a man's vest pocket.

When these pens are ring-tops, they were attached to the wearer's vest by a chain, or so I have read. After an evening of unsuccessful Google wading, not a single image or period descriptive text was located to show what these chains looked like. I went so far as to search early Vogue images (when then were as likely to be men). No luck. One could assume a watch chain was used by if that is true, why do adverts for watch chains not mention this alternative use or illustrate it?

Can anyone point me to illustrated advertisements, catalog descriptions or photographs of a man wearing a vest pocket pen with a chain?

No assumptions, please, only sound documentation.

Many thanks.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• waterman1924

• Shangas

• jar

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assumed that ringtops were for women, carried around one's neck with a ribbon or necklace. I thought that vest pens were shorter than regular pens and they had a clip, at least since the time that clips appeared on pens. I have several vest pocket pens and they have a clip, but I have to admit I have several ringtop pens of exactly the same size. I can conceive that one would attach a ringtop to the watch chain. I personally like a lot vest size pens like my Watermans 52V that have a clip, but I am not thrilled by ringtops.

Anyway, anybody with some historical evidence on the subject?

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

The chains were very simple, and generic, used for pens, watches, lockets...

Basically it is a chain with a clasp at one end and a bar at the other. The bar was inserted through one of the button holes and the clasp at the other end held the object. They ranged in length from just a few inches long to ones over a foot long. With long chains it was either worn looping down or the excess tucked into the pocket with the object.

Thanks, jar, but can you point me to a source for that info?

Thanks, jar, but can you point me to a source for that info?

Personal experience. Been there, done that.

I went to Google Images and found a nice picture of a 1925 Wahl Vest pocket fountain pen and watch on a great chain. Also an ad from a 1922 Vanity Fair which suggests a pen for a watch chain. There may be more but I'm not sure that's what you were looking for.

Nancy

I went to Google Images and found a nice picture of a 1925 Wahl Vest pocket fountain pen and watch on a great chain. Also an ad from a 1922 Vanity Fair which suggests a pen for a watch chain. There may be more but I'm not sure that's what you were looking for.

Nancy

Can you give us a link?

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

Nancy

Can you give us a link?

Here is one from over on Badger & Blade. (scroll down)

And another from Straight Razor Place.

And one site that sells them.

This one was on Antiques Road Show.

I found an old Waterman's vest pen and pencil set with the matching chain in an antique store. It was a "Box" type chain intended to fit through the button hole of the vest. I don't have any pictures as I had to pass the set up....

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I see that somebody found my pocket-watch and vest-pocket pen on Badger and Blade and at the Straight Razor Place! Hahahaha!!!

Yup, Google is amazing. Nice set by the way.

Thanks for all of the replies but no one has yet answered my question, which is:

"Can anyone point me to illustrated advertisements, catalog descriptions or photographs of a man wearing a vest pocket pen with a chain?"

Please, please, please?