Lamy Nib Size

Steve01

I have always wanted to know the difference between Lamy nibs - here are some photos of three different one: fine, broad and 1.1mm calligraphy

post-35847-062298900 1287494024.jpg

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2cents

• toomanypelikans

• Lava Fountain

• mr. abulia

I often wish there were a 1.3 italic. The 1.1 doesn't give enough line variation (lefty overwriter) for my taste. I like the 1.5 very much and use it daily but it is a tad wide occasionally. Well, another incentive to take up mutilating nibs... :P

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gfSg2iZFwOI/S2RW9nR9JvI/AAAAAAAAAB8/koJWKeMp7Q8/s288/Renngruen.jpg

1.5 italic with my Racing Gruen mix on Clairefonaine Seyes paper.

Edited by JMX

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

The Lamy 1.1 is my favourite nib. Which means a) I really like italics and B) I may need to get the nibs on my better pens changed to italics! I have a 1.5 as well, which is fabulous, and have ordered a 1.9 (because I am crazy). I would love to see a 1.3 and a 0.9 or even 0.7 as well. The nice thing about Al-Star and Safari series pens is that I can afford to collect all the nibs...

Does anyone know if these nibs are considered "crisp" italics or "cursive" italics?

I'm including a (bad) scan I made of Lamy 1.1 vs Lamy 1.5 vs Lamy shiny steel Medium nibs. The horizontal lines are meant to show the variation between upstrokes and downstrokes.

I need to get a better scanner, or figure out how to make it scan ink properly... I won't even tell you what the inks are, because the colour is way off :(

post-49215-058035900 1287795051.jpg

Edited by mr. abulia

The Lamy 1.1 is my favourite nib. Which means a) I really like italics and B) I may need to get the nibs on my better pens changed to italics! I have a 1.5 as well, which is fabulous, and have ordered a 1.9 (because I am crazy). I would love to see a 1.3 and a 0.9 or even 0.7 as well. The nice thing about Al-Star and Safari series pens is that I can afford to collect all the nibs...

Does anyone know if these nibs are considered "crisp" italics or "cursive" italics?

I'm including a (bad) scan I made of Lamy 1.1 vs Lamy 1.5 vs Lamy shiny steel Medium nibs. The horizontal lines are meant to show the variation between upstrokes and downstrokes.

I need to get a better scanner, or figure out how to make it scan ink properly... I won't even tell you what the inks are, because the colour is way off :(

Nice. I agree with you, this is a nice look/feel & an inexpensive easy way to go as a starter set.

I have the F, M & 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 Nibs, & I really like the set of 3 Italics, using each for vaious effct & enjoy very much, nice look/shading of your ink there.

Good Cheap Fun.

Cheers,

LF

Nice. I agree with you, this is a nice look/feel & an inexpensive easy way to go as a starter set.

I have the F, M & 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 Nibs, & I really like the set of 3 Italics, using each for vaious effct & enjoy very much, nice look/shading of your ink there.

Good Cheap Fun.

Cheers,

LF

I have a full set of Stainless Z50 nibs XF,F,M,B,1.1,1.5 & 1.9mm italics. I tend to swap the italics at every ink refill. I find the 1.5mm the easiest day to day but the 1.9mm is the most fun. The 1.1mm doesn't give enough thin/thick variation line for me (probably a sign of my poor handwriting). I use a F or M nib most of the time when not playing with the italics.

You ....almost have a full set. There is an "A".... a medium> B nib with a broader sweet spot & 2 broad variants...a rounded B( current one ) and a stub B. I don't know if some of these stubs are still making it thru Lamy's defenses. Just examine which one u have. FFI , there can even be other variants of the unmarked earlier, no longer produced, silv'r and black nibs.You have the present issues...on 2010 pens. The three italics are not exactly cursive but can be daily users with fairly good skills. If u flip the pen/nib over you have variations on your variations. If you really want to have fun....get a book on calligraphy....and then you'll really find out what those nibs are all about. Learning a new hand can yield spectacular results....give it a go. Please take note...there are limits as to how many nib changes you can make on a single pen's section. Some changes do occur by the constant switching, and you run the risk of damaging the feed's tiny slender runners that hold the nib in place. I talk from experience.... ordered a Safari, the seller changed the nib to the requested, they damaged the runners, they sent me an entirely new section for my pen....after I e-mailed them. They knew they'd damaged the feed...they just thought I wouldn't notice....I guess. The nib slipped, actually flew off, whilst I was composing some music. No I wasn't using it as a baton either. Isn't that supposed to happen?....LOL

Edited by SnowLeopard

Slightly off topic here but your avatar rocks !! :roflmho:

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

You ....almost have a full set. There is an "A".... a medium> B nib with a broader sweet spot & 2 broad variants...a rounded B( current one ) and a stub B. I don't know if some of these stubs are still making it thru Lamy's defenses. Just examine which one u have. FFI , there can even be other variants of the unmarked earlier, no longer produced, silv'r and black nibs.You have the present issues...on 2010 pens. The three italics are not exactly cursive but can be daily users with fairly good skills. If u flip the pen/nib over you have variations on your variations. If you really want to have fun....get a book on calligraphy....and then you'll really find out what those nibs are all about. Learning a new hand can yield spectacular results....give it a go. Please take note...there are limits as to how many nib changes you can make on a single pen's section. Some changes do occur by the constant switching, and you run the risk of damaging the feed's tiny slender runners that hold the nib in place. I talk from experience.... ordered a Safari, the seller changed the nib to the requested, they damaged the runners, they sent me an entirely new section for my pen....after I e-mailed them. They knew they'd damaged the feed...they just thought I wouldn't notice....I guess. The nib slipped, actually flew off, whilst I was composing some music. No I wasn't using it as a baton either. Isn't that supposed to happen?....LOL

SnowLeopard,

Yes I stand corrected I have all those current available at the pen shops I visit. I am missing the "A" and a Stub "B". I am in the market for a good calligraphy starter book the practice the intended use of the italics, but I feel years of furiously jotting notes at University has given me too many bad habits. I am very careful when changing nibs. I have 3 Lamy Studios now so I have pretty much settled on what nib is where. I might even just get a Safari to use my italics with.

IMHO they are closer to stub than crisp.

I had a go at converting a 1.1 to 'crisp' and I liked the result.

Dave

----------------------------

Cambs, UK

http://www.dpawson.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Can you elaborate? which one is which? thanks

which one is which?

• 3 months later...

but 1.1 and 1.5 is special to me..

these are really good nice nibs to write with ...

though I am also very into the online series of 0.8 , 1.4 ,1.8

guess with all these different combinations ..I have a good range of nibs to suit my 'mood'

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE