Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Not a fountain pen but I noticed Jeff Sterling (Football on Sky Sports News) uses a MB Meisterstuck Le Grand ballpoint. I've not seen Countdown for ages but I'd expect he'd use the pen on this program too.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

There was a CSI:NY rerun on a couple nights ago that featured a fountain pen. It was found on a dead college kid. It turned out it had been filled with blood instead of ink. Gary Sinese's character even talks about fountain pens, saying that the tip is called a nib (amazing!) :rolleyes: and that they develop a wear pattern with use, so they should be able to match it to a handwriting sample (yeah, right!). :thumbup:

Several days ago I was watching the film One Night Stand (dir. Mike Figgis, 1997) and saw that the lead character, played by Wesley Snipes, is shown using a fountain pen early in the movie. He's sitting in a NYC hotel lobby writing a note in a book he's reading. I believe that a white dot is visible over the clip; it appears to be a large pen with a noticeable pattern. The pen is actually crucial in the scene. Snipes and Nastassja Kinski have been exchanging periodic glances to that point and they do so again as he's annotating his book. Distracted, he replaces the pen in his shirt pocket nib-down and still uncapped. As Kinski is leaving the lobby, she walks up and comments that Snipes has a "black heart," referring to the ink blot staining his shirt. Since Snipes has already checked out of his room and the lobby is mobbed, Kinski offers to let him change in her room. Nothing much happens at that point . . . but, suffice it to say, something does happen between the two of them not long after that. Scene wouldn't've worked with a ballpoint.

Seen in a MST3K - Alien from LA (with a very squeaky Kathy Ireland)

This was the best scene in the movie, I warn you. Off VHS probably and blurry, but here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6051488397_bbc2e23dd3.jpg

Pretty sure the whole episode is on YouTube, a lot of them are. The nib is sharper in nearby frames but you can't see the cap "jewel" (black smudge). Nib looks to me like a Sheaffer cartridge pen. Movie was I think 1988.

I was inspired to look it up because this book mentioned Kathy's excessively active Twitter feed: "You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool" by

Celia Rivenbark. I just had to see her constant look of "dull surprise" once more. And the awful and intermittent. Australian accent of the hero. And I forgot the gem "She's rebooting" when a scene had her just... sitting there for a few seconds before a good film would have started the scene.

Edited by radellaf

Talented Mr. Ripley. Dickie Grenleaf (Jude Law), and later, Tom Rilpley (Matt Damon) use a Mont.

Henry and June. Henry Miller uses one.

Japanese movie called Hana and Alice. Her father gives Alice a Sailor.

Edited by NekoNib

In the movie Beatiful mind Princenton professors give their pens to Professor John Nash Jr. for the life time achivment. I had the honour to listen to his key note speech at the EURO 2010 conference in Lisabon.

The FP segment is at 2:04:04 (just keep watching there are a lot of pens).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sg4_ZQCC6o

I spotted a fountain pen in the movie Babe. Close up shot when the farmer is filling out the registration form for the sheep dog competition and who ever was in the close-up is lefty.

Atomic Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw one in the new espisode of Doctor Who entitled "Let's Kill Hitler." Hitler is sitting at his desk writing (couldn't tell what brand the pen was, only that it was a fountain pen) when he's interrupted by a robot controlled by miniaturized justice agents from the future who want to literally give Hitler hell. I love that show!

Just saw one in the new espisode of Doctor Who entitled "Let's Kill Hitler." Hitler is sitting at his desk writing (couldn't tell what brand the pen was, only that it was a fountain pen) when he's interrupted by a robot controlled by miniaturized justice agents from the future who want to literally give Hitler hell. I love that show!

I was a little disappointed they didn't do a "is that a banana - happy" joke when he switched it with the gun :).

I was a little disappointed they didn't do a "is that a banana - happy" joke when he switched it with the gun :).

And I was a little disappointed that when he switched the interface from himself to "someone I actually like" that David Tennant didn't show up. :notworthy1: That would have been great! :thumbup:

In the movie Beatiful mind Princenton professors give their pens to Professor John Nash Jr. for the life time achivment. I had the honour to listen to his key note speech at the EURO 2010 conference in Lisabon.

You are right, I will have too watch the movie again but the scene is very emotional, you feel proud to collect pens and I clearly remember at least two Duofolds and two Vacumatics...

In one of the episodes of Being Human (US version), the vampire Bishop was "flipping" a posted fountain pen while he was waiting for the Dutch vampire elders to arrive.

It looked like a Doufold.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

In one episode of the wonderfully ridiculous "Get Smart" (the 60's TV show, not the recent film), a riddle is solved via the presence of a feathered quill dip pen. There was something hidden in the pen box under the quill, and the riddle was "birds of a feather flock together". I'm sure that a button had to be pressed under the pen to release a secret compartment, or some other campy Get Smart-style stuff.

Truly a moving scene. It seems that it is entirely fictional, but still wonderful.

http://www.princeton.edu/mudd/news/faq/topics/nash.shtml

Truly a moving scene. It seems that it is entirely fictional, but still wonderful.

http://www.princeton...pics/nash.shtml

The movie is fictional and differs from real life of John Nash (especially people that the main character see and do not exist) although the main plot is infact based on the real life story of Professor Nash. Whether they do give pens for life time achievements at Princeton I do not know. It is however, a great idea.

http://www.princeton...pics/nash.shtml

The movie is fictional and differs from real life of John Nash (especially people that the main character see and do not exist) although the main plot is infact based on the real life story of Professor Nash. Whether they do give pens for life time achievements at Princeton I do not know. It is however, a great idea.

Sorry, yes. I meant the pen-donating ceremony by the other mathematics professors was fictional. The rest of the story is a ficionalized account of the life of John Nash, of course. And a wonderful film.

The link I provided speaks directly about "penning him in". :-)

Emperors Club, nice shot of a pelikan in that one as well as a few other pens.

I too spotted the Pelikan :D

It looks like one of the vintage, green striated 400's (n, nn or whatever) - The story is set in the late 50's right? At least attempted to be accurate even down to these small details.

(unlike some films I've seen...)

Also, in Back to the Future pt.1, when Marty is writing that letter to the Doc to warn him about the night he goes back, he uses an FP - there's a thread on that somewhere, they were trying to figure out what pen it was.

Edited by Silent Speaker

In the new BBC series THE HOUR, the lead character is a young tv reporter in the mid-50s. In the first episode, he plays with a closed pen every so often. When he opens it to write at one point, we see that it's a smallish fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rewatching the sci-fi series Farscape, and just noticed that the character John Crichton (Ben Browder) uses a FP to write in his journal. Here's a screen shot from episode s04e13 ("Terra Firma").

post-73845-0-26980300-1315912855.png