Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

14 hours ago, Vasilis97 said:

Is this pen a real model or something the writers came up with?

( 5:10 -5:40 )

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (3).png

Don't know about the name of it, but it looks like any number of early 20th century black ebonite lever fillers. The slight roundness to the lever could suggest a Waterman, but I can't see nearly clearly enough. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

In the first part of Good Bye Radar on MASH, I finally saw a close up of Col Potter dip pen and holder, it looked very simple, not an Esterbrooks.

In Ashes to Ashes on Columbo, the undertaker, has a double pen holder, being the 70's, I suspect that the pens are ballpoints.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Columbo, By the Dawn Early Light. A close up of the Colonel writing with one of his desk pen shows a Parker 51 fountain pen, I focused on the nib, and it has the familiar hooded shape.

It was on TV, if you have the DVDs from the show, feel free to freeze the frame and find out if it is indeed a Parker 51 desk pen.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 1/13/2011 at 11:18 PM, Leftytoo said:

In the British TV serial "As Time Goes By", each episode begins with a woman writing a letter with a Conway Stewart, maybe a 100, judging by the steeply tapered cap.

Bob

I'm coming in years later to thank you for at least tentatively identifying that pen (there were several requests in the years after this post, including one from me), but also to correct you that the person writing the letter is a man. In fact it is Lionel, as a young man, writing to Jean from Korea. That is the letter, in fact, that got lost in the post, which is how they lost touch for 38 years, the premise of the series. 

Lionel Barrymore's desk in "A Wonderful World" has a dip pen. I couldn't find it previously mentioned.

lionel-barrymore-as-mrpotter-and-james-s

Also Bond uses an acid carrying MB 146 in "Octopussy."

James Bond Has No Ordinary Mont Blanc - Vintage Fountain Pens: Sheaffer, Parker, Inkwells, Buy Sell Trade at ThePenMarket.com

____5104885_orig.png

Edited by HogwldFLTR

• 1 month later...

Just saw one I'd never noticed before this past Saturday night.

The movie was Unknown World (1951).  It's about scientists, and a couple of other guys, drilling deep into the Earth 🌎 to find a place for humanity to live just in case of thermonuclear war. More here.

The female scientist writes all of her journal entries using a fountain pen. You can't see more than a dark nib, from her perspective, but it's certainly a fountain pen. I couldn't identify the pen, except that it's an open nib type, because you can't see much other than the nib.

The movie is full of pseudoscience and factual blunders, but I remember it from when I was a kid and didn't understand much of it. You do get to see plenty of black & white film of Carlsbad Caverns during the course of the movie :thumbup: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

In the episode of "Endeavour"  titled "Oracle" (series 7, episode 1), Morse identifies the murderer by recognizing that a fountain pen found under the body of the victim has a slightly splayed nib that matches a writing sample from the murderer's wife.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:41 AM, ParramattaPaul said:

Vera is on a par with Endeavour in my opinion. Excellent plots, great acting, and fantastic cinematography. An older well done series is George Gently. It ran for 10 years (2007-2017).

I agree that Vera is excellent.  Also Shetland although the action moves very slowly so that several episodes are required to tell the full story.  George Gently is OK but I find that Martin Shaw can be a bit heavy-handed at times.  Midsomer is fun, but the high body-count is a tell that you can't really take it seriously.  For me, Morse, Lewis and Endeavour are the best series - they the only TV series that don't abuse the viewer's intelligence.  I also enjoyed the Adam Dalgliesh series (the Roy Marsden episodes, not those with Martin Shaw);  they all struck me as stage-plays that were captured for TV - the lighting and editing was not at all polished, but the plotting and dialog was outstanding.

One of the incidental aspects of these is the theme music was often very memorable - Morse and Dalgliesh especially, and who can forget the haunting theremin theme in Midsomer?

5 hours ago, Monophoto said:

George Gently is OK but I find that Martin Shaw can be a bit heavy-handed at times.  Midsomer is fun, but the high body-count is a tell that you can't really take it seriously. 

Martin Shaw as George Gently may seem heavy-handed because the character is very much an embodiment of his time (WWII ex-soldier, long-serving policeman) and Britain at the time (1960s). 

As for Midsomer Murders, they can't be very good detectives when it takes three murders (each episode) for them to solve the crime.  The value for the watcher is solely is seeing if he or she can solve the crime before the characters do.

6 hours ago, Monophoto said:

I agree that Vera is excellent.  Also Shetland although the action moves very slowly so that several episodes are required to tell the full story.  George Gently is OK but I find that Martin Shaw can be a bit heavy-handed at times.  Midsomer is fun, but the high body-count is a tell that you can't really take it seriously.  For me, Morse, Lewis and Endeavour are the best series - they the only TV series that don't abuse the viewer's intelligence.  I also enjoyed the Adam Dalgliesh series (the Roy Marsden episodes, not those with Martin Shaw);  they all struck me as stage-plays that were captured for TV - the lighting and editing was not at all polished, but the plotting and dialog was outstanding.

One of the incidental aspects of these is the theme music was often very memorable - Morse and Dalgliesh especially, and who can forget the haunting theremin theme in Midsomer?

For fans of both Vera and Endeavour (which my wife and I are), investigate Foyles War, a great series, particularly those which follow Foyle's exploits after the war.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I watched Folyes War years ago.  It is very well done and worth watching again.  While not a detective or mystery series, Danger UXB is on Netflix.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, Aysedasi said:

For fans of both Vera and Endeavour (which my wife and I are), investigate Foyles War, a great series, particularly those which follow Foyle's exploits after the war.  

Yes, Foyle's War was very good, both the World War II episodes and the post-war episodes. And they had fountain pens in the series too!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I couldn't find where this one has been mentioned.

The movie "Booby Trap" from 1957 is about exploding fountain pens.

Looks like a UK Parker Slimfold. In another scene there is a Conway Stewart with a stub nib. 

15 minutes ago, carlos.q said:

Looks like a UK Parker Slimfold. In another scene there is a Conway Stewart with a stub nib. 

Thank you!

Is nobody else watching Unforgotten? (ITV 9pm on Mondays, final episode next week).

A most original use for a fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...

The close-up opening scenes in "The Lover" (1992) show some great nib on paper.  An excellent movie to watch with a significant other.

• 5 months later...

From the new teaser trailer for Guillermo Del Toro's remake of NIGHTMARE ALLEY (Searchlight Pictures):

1027664178_fountainpenindeltoronightmarealley.thumb.jpg.80ca3537479872263e005373a7674f58.jpg

This image appears in the trailer for less than a second, but it caught my attention and I had to grab it. What pen is it, I wonder...