Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

I saw a fountain pen on NBC Nightly News this evening. It was in an over the shoulder graphic. The graphic switched to a shot of a ballpoint. Im not sure which fountain pen it was. Any guesses on the pen brand?

Credit to NBC Nightly News

fpn_1581139658__7c655d0c-0764-4059-b560-

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I saw a fountain pen on NBC Nightly News this evening. It was in an over the shoulder graphic. The graphic switched to a shot of a ballpoint. Im not sure which fountain pen it was. Any guesses on the pen brand?

Credit to NBC Nightly News

fpn_1581139658__7c655d0c-0764-4059-b560-

That's a Parker Urban, but the old discontinued hourglass design.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayhem (2017)

near the end (run time: 01:17:23 up)

click image for large resolution

What pen is this?

wIKOc4Xm.jpg CCdfahSm.jpg z1zJYXm.jpg

KF3fFsym.jpg aLFlTLsm.jpg

yl63Vi5m.jpg

Hard Start

7uVvivsm.jpg SwN4qSCm.jpg

Edited by ngekomo

Not a fountain pen, but in Better Call Saul S4 E5, the German excavator (the second one) has a Rotring 600 pencil.

I feel it should have had more wabi-sabi.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Currently watching the new episode of Hawaii 5-0 and one of the story lines tonight has to do with the lost manuscript of a mystery novelist in the 1920s; the woman who is trying to publish the manuscript was given a fountain pen belonging to the original author (and . Something with a gold or gold-filled overlay, like the Morrison seen here:

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/morrison-fountain-pen-full-size-gf-overlay-full-flex-fine-very-nice-restored.html

but the (modern) pen seemed to have a converter because the barrel unscrewed easily, and had a regular (i.e., not hooded, inlaid, or Triumph style nib). In the beginning of the episode, the original author (and pen owner) has a tryst with a bellhop and her #1 fan.

Clearly the pen given to the researcher is a modern pen. So any guesses as to ID-ing the pen (or pens) in the episode? It clearly had an overlay similar to the one in the photo I cribbed from the Peyton Street Pens website. Don't know of a modern pen that would have that sort of overlay, but I'm sure there are some. The written exemplars looked to be done with a stub or italic nib, and also a fairly broad one (which I'm fairly sure the pen in the episode didn't have :rolleyes:). but I'm amused by the concept.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Haven't seen the episode, but based on what I have in my collection compared to your link... I propose this as a candidate

http://yafa.com/conklin/conklin_old/product/antique.html

(though this is silver, not gold... doubt the show would be risking a Pelikan Toledo)

Edited by BaronWulfraed

It's an idea, but the pen in the episode really did look a lot like that Morrison. I'm kinda a fan of the brand after buying a gold-filled filigree overlay ringtop at my first pen show, and now also have a silver overlay ringtop with a an engraved finish very much like the one in the Peyton Street Pens link (although the silver overlay one still needs to be re-sacced).

I'm specifically looking for pens that would be similar in style, with the solid overlay. I know vintage pens better than many modern ones, but I'm supposing that there are some out there (I thought maybe Parker or Waterman, but didn't see any Parkers that looked similar on Tony Fischier's site, and just don't know enough about Waterman pens in general. I suppose it could be some other brand, even a Chinese knock-off of another pen. But I thought it was interesting that the pen (and the original author's handwriting) were so integral to the plot on that storyline. Especially after reading the thread where someone was ranting about flagrant "bigotry" against fountain pens (and -- by extension -- against fountain pen buyers and users).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I saw the episode and the pen looked like it could be a Waterman 0552. When the writer uses the pen you can briefly see it is a lever fill. Also, when the barrel is unscrewed you can see that the section is attached to what seems to be a rubber sac, not a converter.

The Hawaii 5-0 prop team has been known to use period correct pens in the past. In a November 2018 episode McGarret reviewed a 1941 cold case file and found a Parker pen clipped to one of the folders. Upon closer inspection the pen was a period correct Parker Vacumatic with the initials "SM" that, according to the story line, belonged to McGarret's grandfather who had his same name.

Edited by carlos.q

Hmmm. Don't remember that episode -- I'll have to see if it's available on demand. But thanks for the info about the pen.

I just don't know enough about Waterman pens. But the design of the pen did look a lot like some Morrisons I've seen -- I did some Googling, and the "Sheraton" pattern does look a bit like the one on the Morrison link. But would a lever pen be that easy to take apart without heat? I have a bunch of lever fillers and I can't imagine trying to just unscrew the barrel that easily.

Ironically, I suspect that the first Morrison pen I ever bought, a ringtop with a gold-filled filigree overlay, looked enough like a Waterman that the friend with me (at my first pen show) said "If you don't buy it I will..." (he's a Waterman guy).

We're supplying period-correct pens to a movie currently in production in New Zealand. The movie takes place in Montana in the 1920s and they want pens correct for that era. They are not sure if they will get hand-doubles or if the actors will use the pens themselves, but the pens needed to be working. Every pen needs to be supplied in a quantity of two so that they have a back-up -- kinda like when they need twins when they have a baby in a movie. So far we have supplied two Waterman 12 pens and three Waterman 52 pens.

Wow. That's really cool. Will you get listed in the credits?

(Says the person who was an extra in a movie once: the stuff shot in the morning you can't see me in, because all the action takes place about 20 feet behind me; and the stuff shot in the afternoon was supposed to be for "photographs" that would drop across the screen or something to show time passing in the protagonist's early life, and -- at least by the time the movie made it to video, apparently ended up on the cutting room floor....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaindruth

Wow. That's really cool. Will you get listed in the credits?

(Says the person who was an extra in a movie once: the stuff shot in the morning you can't see me in, because all the action takes place about 20 feet behind me; and the stuff shot in the afternoon was supposed to be for "photographs" that would drop across the screen or something to show time passing in the protagonist's early life, and -- at least by the time the movie made it to video, apparently ended up on the cutting room floor....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaindruth

No, I don't think so. I offered to give them the pens for free if they would send a video which I can use showing the actors using the pens, but the the props people were very professional and said they could not arrange for such favors. Some of the actors are quite well known. I guess I'll just have to wait for the movie and take screen shots!

I did find the thread about the Netflix series The Crown, and QEII's fountain pen ( Parker 51 ).

fpn_1575088740__screenshot-391.jpg

I believe this is the one.

fpn_1575088740__screenshot-391.jpg

I believe this is the one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a documentary last night about the comic book scare from the 1950's and the creation of the comics code and I saw this pic on it of Frederic Wertham at his office with his fountain pen. Thought I would share.

bMrek2r.jpg

I did find the thread about the Netflix series The Crown, and QEII's fountain pen ( Parker 51 ).

That, appropriately, is a Royal Challenger although I doubt whether the Queen would have used such a second line pen

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger King episode 3, Don's lawyer has a double Sheaffer lever filler set on his desk.

Edited: Revised pen model after a closer look

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

That, appropriately, is a Royal Challenger although I doubt whether the Queen would have used such a second line pen

First query re Queens pen on November 22, 2019 by Idazle post 1073 on page 54 and scroll down to post 1076 for answer...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/168373-fountain-pens-in-movies-and-tv/?p=4266178

A quick search would do no harm.........85AKbN.....Et al

Fred..

........................................ ................................... .....................................

Lou Rawls....You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine..........

Edited by Freddy

In 1979's Agatha, with Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave, Agatha Christie uses a fountain pen to write in her notebook in her hotel room.

(she takes notes on how to modify the rheostat, of the spa hotel where she stays... but that's about the film story...)

It's a black pen with gold trim. The camera shows the notebook as seen from Agatha's eyes and the pen only shows at an angle from the top, nib pointing vertically to the page.

I watched the movie recently and have since then been wondering what pen it might be...

(will not lose my sleep in case no-one knows...thanks)