Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Barbara Stanwyck in a still from an early nineteen-thirtie's movie, in which she is using a Parker Duofold (probably a Big Red but can’t be sure because it’s a black and white image).

This is from a Criterion Channel promotional page for the recent special they had on her “Pre-Code” era films.

post-26009-0-91121600-1574551197_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Barbara Stanwyck in a still from an early nineteen-thirtie's movie, in which she is using a Parker Duofold (probably a Big Red but can’t be sure because it’s a black and white image).

This is from a Criterion Channel promotional page for the recent special they had on her “Pre-Code” era films.

'Tis a Big Red...she is usin' in Ladies They Talk About 1933.... and in Baby Face she is usin' A black Parker with two wide gold bands.....

Nice catch....Nyoko.....{thumbsUpthingie}

Fred

'Tis a Big Red...she is usin' in Ladies They Talk About 1933.... and in Baby Face she is usin' A black Parker with two wide gold bands.....

Nice catch....Nyoko.....{thumbsUpthingie}

Fred

Thank you! We recently watched all the Barbara Stanwyck "pre-code" films that were featured on the Criterion Channel but I couldn't remember which film this was from (they've since taken these films off the site. They were all great - she was such a fine actress, so natural and authentic.

It's always fun to spot fountain pens in films and documentaries. In many films, unfortunately, the pen a character uses is not necessarily of the period - often you will see a modern pen being used in a period film. I guess they need to offer a class on writing instruments in film schools! Or maybe they already do?

Thank you! We recently watched all the Barbara Stanwyck "pre-code" films that were featured on the Criterion Channel but I couldn't remember which film this was from (they've since taken these films off the site. They were all great - she was such a fine actress, so natural and authentic.

It's always fun to spot fountain pens in films and documentaries. In many films, unfortunately, the pen a character uses is not necessarily of the period - often you will see a modern pen being used in a period film. I guess they need to offer a class on writing instruments in film schools! Or maybe they already do?

In film production it is the responsibility of the property master who controls all aspects of prop dept..ie finding.buying..properly placing.. what are needed..any and all props. Have no idea if it is taught in school..nonetheless..'tis fun finding 'em in the movies..

Fred

Sasha Wass in Murder Mystery and My family uses a Lamy ABC.

Parkette after reviewing all 43.03 in eight minutes.....I found several instances with

Jeremy Dein, Hon. Judge David usin' ballpoint pens..and Sasha Wass usin' Bic Cristal pens....

However at 41:16 in Judge's chamber { in camera }..we see Sasha holding with cap posted..... but not usin' a

Lamy SE all black Safari fountain pen........

I missed the ABC, where will I find it? Thanks...........

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Parkette after reviewing all 43.03 in eight minutes.....I found several instances with

Jeremy Dein, Hon. Judge David usin' ballpoint pens..and Sasha Wass usin' Bic Crital pens....

However at 41:16 in Judge's chamber { in camera }..we see Sasha holding with cap posted..... but not usin' a

Lamy SE all black Safari fountain pen........

I missed the ABC, where will I find it? Thanks...........

Fred

Sorry Freddy

I have posted the wrong episode, I should have posted Series 3 Episode 5

I cannot find this episode on Youtube as yet, it is on BBC iplayer but I suspect that viewing is restricted to the UK. For those that can see this program, link below and the Lamy ABC is shown towards the end of the program

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bqlg/murder-mystery-and-my-family-series-3-episode-5

Sorry Freddy

I cannot find this episode on Youtube as yet, it is on BBC iplayer but I suspect that viewing is restricted to the UK. For those that can see this program, link below and the Lamy ABC is shown towards the end of the program

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bqlg/murder-mystery-and-my-family-series-3-episode-5

You can see it in the introductory section too :)

Sorry Freddy

No problemo.

Fred

Say good night Gracie............................

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the holiday classic "Holiday Inn", towards the end of the movie (at 1.26.37), Bing Crosby's character, Jim, sends the "Thanksgiving Song" to Linda, the girl he is in love with. It appears to be a lovely fountain pen of some kind but I have not been able to identify. Any ideas?

Typical for us, the Friday night before our U.S. Thanksgiving Day kicks off the holiday season for us. We celebrate it with watching "Holiday Inn". If you haven't seen the movie, it is a great family film around the holidays (that is if you like plenty of "smaltze".

I'm off to put up the Christmas tree. :D

I agree with you about Holiday Inn (1942). In fact, I like it better than White Christmas (1954). Don't know about the FP.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

You can see it in the introductory section too :)

I must admit that I like the humility of such a distinguished barrister owning a pen that was intended for a child.

I must admit that I like the humility of such a distinguished barrister owning a pen that was intended for a child.

I agree; I was quite surprised but its a solid, practical choice, and yes, humble :)

• 4 weeks later...

I came here searching for an answer to the 'Marty McFly's note to Doc Brown' question, and stumbled on this:

The body flows down towards the nib in the back. I don't have a Carene to compare to, but the 95s looks similar when viewed from the left rear. It's not a normal nib, it's an inlaid nib.

edit: I'm sticking this here, so the pen in question is more accessible.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/334/5/4/54779dd58f742b9727fb6ba051691b7a-d8890o2.png

About six years late and I doubt that anyone cares, but, not a fountain pen.

pulaman-stylo40th.com/en/

s-l300.jpg

Edited by WarrenB

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

You had me at "Barbara Stanwyck".

• 1 month later...

In Back to the Future, Michael J Fox wrote a warning note to Christopher Lloyd using a fountain pen.

In Back to the Future, Michael J Fox wrote a warning note to Christopher Lloyd using a fountain pen.

Wasn't that a Esterbrook J in green......

http://img2180.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-17901/loc1171/74625_BTTF1_122_1171lo.jpg

Fred

Wasn't that a Esterbrook J in green......

http://img2180.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-17901/loc1171/74625_BTTF1_122_1171lo.jpg

Fred

It looks like it! This is from the 3rd movie, isn't it?

There was another scene in the first movie, Michael J Fox was sitting in a diner writing a note with a fountain pen.

Just spotted a fountain pen (and possibly two!) in an episode of the old cult TV series The Prisoner. In one of the later episodes, "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling", Number 6 has had his mind and memories placed into another person's head/body. He is forced to track down the doctor who had done the original research, and convince everyone from his former boss, his fiancée, and the doctor as to who he is. Number 6 (with the different body and face) is deposited back in his old apartment. He pulls out a fountain pen at one point, and realizes that there be proof in his identity with his handwriting. Then pen had an inlaid nib and a wide band between the section and the barrel (but that might also have been the cap band). I'm thinking that it *might* be something like a Sheaffer PFM similar to this one:

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-pfm-iii-black-with-gold-trim-fine-14k-nib-very-nice-restored.html (the episode originally aired in 1968, so later pens like the Legacy II would be out of the running).

In addition, earlier in the episode, "Number 6" tries to go see his old boss (and father-in-law to be) and his boss's secretary/receptionist at the desk when he goes in has some large black cigar shaped pen on his desk (it was never uncapped to show whether it had a nib or not, but the guy also has a rocker blotter on his desk...).

Hmmm. Wondering now whether the idea of the "Kingsmen"agents using fountain pens in the Kingsman movies (especially the first one -- I'm not familiar with the comics that IIRC were their source material) came from old spy shows like the The Prisoner, and (before that) Danger Man/Secret Agent. Because that's now two instances of Patrick McGoohan CLEARLY using fountain pens (the one Danger Man episode I noted a while back sure looked like a Parker 51).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."