Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Just saw that scene last night. Will have to go back and look. It definitely bleeds like a bad fountain pen. Ink all over the paper, like Waterman’s apocryphal ruined contract. (Terrific show, by the way.)

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

In the German Netflix series Dark, one character is using a Rotring 2000 technical pen to sketch birds.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

Grantchester Season 1, Episode 1 (roughly 19:55 into the film) there is a shot of the victim writing a letter with a lovely black lever filler. Looks like a Waterman's with their gold metal box-lever system.

fpn_1563667659__screenshot-25961.jpg

fpn_1563667968__screenshot-25981.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

In Bindspot there have been two fountain pens important to the plot. In 1x12, there's a Jinhao X450, and when the character takes it apart, you can clearly tell it's a fountain pen, though later they say it's a ballpoint. In the third season, there are a couple episodes with a pen I think may be a Visconti Medici Rose Sovrano though I'm not sure and I haven't found anyone else online who has identified it.

• 1 month later...

Surprised that this hasn't come up on this thread before: the 1979 movie Agatha (a fictional supposition of the time Agatha Christie disappeared for nearly 2 weeks, causing a frenzy of publicity and speculation as to her whereabouts -- as opposed to the somewhat more whimsical supposition in an episode of Doctor Who...).

Mrs. Christie (played by Vanessa Redgrave) uses some black pen with an italic nib (I haven't been able to get a good enough look at it) when she is making notes at the spa where she turns up). However, she, at one point, has someone else write a classified ad for her, and the pen seems to be a slip on cap (which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be found on a 1926 era pen...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Slip caps, not clutch caps, were pretty standard on mid 1920s pens.

edit: more accurate

Edited by praxim

X

I have been watching Inspector Morse DVDs lately. A fountain pen made in Canada was found with the first victim. It ended up being the clue that solved the case, once Morse found out where an author really went to college after Oxford.

Posted Image

Slip caps, not clutch caps, were pretty standard on mid 1920s pens.

edit: more accurate

As opposed to screw on (threaded) caps? Interesting. I learn something new here all the time.

Now if I could just ID the pen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

In the 1989 movie The Nightmare Years you can see few fountain pens, most prominent being the one used by William Shirer (played by Sam Waterston), a very period accurate small to medium size black flat top fountain pen, most likely a Parker or maybe even a Soennecken. Kind of hard to determine as the quality of the copy found on Amazon Prime Video was not that stellar (it is a television movie after all).

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, while watching an episode of The Crown series (season 2, episode 4), I saw the Queen (well her character in the series really) using the pen of the picture. What make do you think it is?

fpn_1574408629__pluma_de_la_reina.jpg

Edited by idazle

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Odd... considering she is known to use a Parker 51

They had a faithful issue in the first two seasons (burgundy, gold cap), but this season was off with a good number of things which went well the first two. Eg the tiaras were (imo bad) replicas in the 1st two seasons, this season they used totally different tiaras which aren'r replicas at all.

Liz uses also other pens, there are pictures of her in her office where she uses a jotter and she likes other countries fpens as well, though the 51 has been a lifelong companion it seems.

The thing they got exactly right is the fashion, great replicas have been made.

As great as Olivia is, but imo she's too old to play the role in these life stages....

But I guess all this would fit more into a The Crown discussion!

In the first two seasons they made the mistake of featuring Parker IMs (quite prominently) and a Pelikan as well. I find a modern Pelikan can be used in period dramas, but an all metal IM was really off.

Mea culpa -- I based my guess on some statements I'd read that C-S had provided pens to the government (possibly presentation pens)... That, and the three cap rings look a lot like some C-S caps <G>

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the holiday classic "Holiday Inn", towards the end of the movie (at 1.26.37), Bing Crosby's character, Jim, sends the "Thanksgiving Song" to Linda, the girl he is in love with. It appears to be a lovely fountain pen of some kind but I have not been able to identify. Any ideas?

Typical for us, the Friday night before our U.S. Thanksgiving Day kicks off the holiday season for us. We celebrate it with watching "Holiday Inn". If you haven't seen the movie, it is a great family film around the holidays (that is if you like plenty of "smaltze".

I'm off to put up the Christmas tree. :D

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today