Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Don't know if this been previously reported -- Watching "Rescue Dawn" with Christian Slater

Vietnam war 1965-- Slater is shot down in Laos and captured --taken to local official

he is ordered to sign a war crimes confession and the official pulls out a Sheaffer --

distinctive inlaid nib is prominent

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Diana Rigg

edit: mentions the teenager who watched it

Ack. Stupid spell corrector. Thanks for catching that.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Not a FP but a dip pen in the nurse's hand. This is from the 1962 movie "Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man". The guy in the background was seen a few seconds before also writing with a dip pen.

fpn_1499611285__nurses.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Digging this back up to report a Waterman something or other in the last Orphan Black, S05E07.

orphan_black_s05e07_waterman_by_voidelem

edit: Some digging seems to indicate that this is an Expert II.

Edited by NinthSphere

• 3 weeks later...

Another Avengers episode sighting (actually more than one! :rolleyes:): there's an open pen on a desk (along with a blotter and journal!) in the opening sequence of "The Cybernauts". Sadly, the pen is next seen smashed, just before the episode title is shown. Couldn't tell what it was. Metal looking body, black section, maybe a Parker clip but not on on screen long enough (the pen is posted, though). When the owner is about to be killed by something/someone smashing through the doors to his office, there's also a quick shot of what looks like a desk pen set to his right, just after he's pulled a shotgun off the wall and loaded it, but after he's killed there's a close up of the first pen (in bits) on top of what looks like a typed manuscript. The nib and section are off to the left, the barrel off to the right, and what might be what's left of the cap in between. Truthfully, I can't tell if it's actually the same pen. The barrel in the second closeup looks to have a torpedo shaped end (almost looks like a blind cap or piston cap from the lighting); the (maybe) cap is turned so you can't see the clip at all, and the finial is facing away from the camera, angled towards the nib and section).

Then just after Steed and Mrs. Peel do a recap (this is the third murder in as many days, all of powerful business magnates, there's a scene of another person using another pen, similar to the first. That pen user becomes victim number four, and after he's killed, the perp picks the pen up off the floor.... [spoiler alert!] And later the owner of an electronic toys company is also killed -- just after using HIS pen....

Later when Steed visits a Japanese electronics firm (specializing in minaturization of electronic components -- the person he meets with, Mr. Tusamo, boasts about "computers no bigger than a cigarette box, pocket television, and radios smaller than a wristwatch" B)); that person also has a desk pen set. And later, when Steed visits Dr. Armstrong, he's given a pen that supposedly uses solid carbon ink that supposed to flow from the warmth of a person's hand holding the pen, said to last a decade before replacement -- without leaking or drying out! Steed's response: "The ink manufacturers will love you...." :P

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mr. Lucky 1943 Dorothy holding desk pen {pearl and black..ebonized pearl..or?}

At 0:00 - 0:19 "Do I get to trim a hat?" Joe sez and at this time Dorothy stands up.

Fred

Laraine Day and Cary Grant

• 2 weeks later...

The new episode, "Lazaretto" of this season of Endeavor showed a doctor (in the hospital where several deaths have occurred in the same bed in the same ward) writing with what looks like a Parker pen. I didn't get a good look, but the pen had a metal section which appeared to be rose gold. So (even though the series is set in the 1960s) I was guessing it was maybe a Duofold.

Movie: The Stooge 1952

Scene: Signing of the contract.

Starts at 1:02:33 Sorry gentlemen...excuse me..Where do I sign? Right here. Hands him a Parker Jet Black Maxima Vacumatic.{?}

Don't you want to read it....first check on your salary? There'll be no checks...I want all my money in cash. Note: Desk set in front of lamp.

Ends at 1:03:10 Can I use your phone....................................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxMF3YBq24

Fred

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis

Recently watched a delightful Netflix film The Hippopotamus. Early in the movie there is a disparaging remark about the (lack of) utility of fountain pens but subsequently there are two scenes in which lead Roger Allam writes with a very clearly depicted Parker Vector.

Recently watched a delightful Netflix film The Hippopotamus. Early in the movie there is a disparaging remark about the (lack of) utility of fountain pens but subsequently there are two scenes in which lead Roger Allam writes with a very clearly depicted Parker Vector.

From the trailer....We see Ted writn' using said pen in translucent green.

"I published five collections of poetry in eight years." At 0:04 freeze frame for a clear shot of............

Fred

Volvo Commercial: "My Little Girl Getting Married"

I remember your ten years old @ 0:06 We first see the pen in question upside down with his journal {is it a fountain pen?} 0:10

And I thought to myself your in for it now @ 0:39 Pen in hand 0:40

You will just not be ready for @ 0:49 Writing in journal with fountain pen..white gold nib? metal section..white metal trim..burgundy barrel/cap 0:53

I'm still not ready @ 1:06-1:08 Turning page in journal

1:54 Holding pen upside down on open journal.....1:59 Shot of journal closing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0ePBvH18c

Fred

The props department on the 'Outlander' program went to considerable trouble to create these log entries in a genuine-looking script.

fpn_1504905254__highlander-prop-800.png

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The film Kingsman (2014):

The Colin Firth character introduces the new Kingsman agent to the secret weapons room - and a cabinet of Conway Stewart fps with a hidden weapon in them.

Later in the film the fp weapon is used against the Michael Caine character.

The actual model is a Churchill. Great stuff!

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

The film Kingsman (2014):

The Colin Firth character introduces the new Kingsman agent to the secret weapons room - and a cabinet of Conway Stewart fps with a hidden weapon in them.

Later in the film the fp weapon is used against the Michael Caine character.

The actual model is a Churchill. Great stuff!

Ah! I had been wondering what the pens in that movie were, because at least some of them seemed to be lever fillers (which seemed to be a bit odd for the 21st century unless they were vintage pens).

And then there's that *fabulous* line of Samuel L. Jackson's character when he buys a fountain pen of his own... "These can't be hacked!" :D

In Iris (2001), Judi Dench is writing with what looks like a Parker Sonnet, which struck me as improbable.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Forgot about the end bit of the PBS 40's House, if it wasn't already mentioned. Last episode, the family is talking about how things have changed since their 40's experience & the grandmother is writing out a grocery list or somesuch with a Parker Sonnet, talking about how she's become more frugal with her shopping.