• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but in The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio, the doctor writes "Gatsby" with a prominently seen Fountain Pen. The scene made me wonder about using one myself.

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

The pen mentioned from The Great Gatsby is red-orange with a black section (Parker Big Red?). However in a latter scene he has a black pen clipped to his lab coat.

At the end of the movie Nick writes on the cover of his manuscript with a pen that looks like a Montblanc.

Edited by carlos.q

I have admiration for the fortitude of those who managed to watch The Great Gatsby all the way to the end. I felt like I was being punched in the eyes the whole time and had to give up after about fifteen minutes.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have admiration for the fortitude of those who managed to watch The Great Gatsby all the way to the end. I felt like I was being punched in the eyes the whole time and had to give up after about fifteen minutes.

I teach it in my film class to Honors 10-12 students. I'm thinking of trying the Robert Redford version...? Thoughts?

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Waterman 402.. From The Last Witch Hunter

Watched that movie last night and, of course, noted the reference to the Waterman 402 - a pen in what might have been an original box. When I searched w/Google for that pen I got another image than the one that was shown on the "Worthpoint" site.(?)

A search here on FPN lead to a 2007 thread that referenced a sterling silver British overlay that seemed to describe the pen in the movie. As there was no image I have no way of confirming and it did sound very similar.

I wonder which actor, director or writer specified that pen for the movie????

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Just watched Civil War and I spotted Black Lamy Safari and Lamy T52 bottle of Blue-black ink :)

I watched it on Saturday night. I missed those, but there was also that scene with the 2 dip pens that were supposedly historical. (And no bottle of ink to use with them.) I'm not sure what they are, and haven't found a good screencap. I have, however, found pens made for the movie while searching for that scene.

I teach it in my film class to Honors 10-12 students. I'm thinking of trying the Robert Redford version...? Thoughts?

I found it a lot easier to take than Baz Lurhmann's monstrosity, although I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the source material in any event. It might be worth showing parts of both to contrast different approaches to the same story-- on its own, the old one might not be frenetic enough for the kids these days.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

Are there any old movies showing ringtops? Being new to vintage pens I'm curious how exactly they were worn.

I was pleasantly suprised to see that Marvel's Agent Carter (a series set in the 40s) has quite a few fountain pens in it. Maybe Esterbrooks, I think. The boss even has a desk set. :)

Currently watching Sam Willis in a documentary about the Silk Road on BBC where he is traveling along it. He is keeping a journal and writing it with a fountain pen. Rarely is a pen written journal a major part of a TV programme.

I cannot identify the pen but it might be a Duofold.

Currently watching Sam Willis in a documentary about the Silk Road on BBC where he is traveling along it. He is keeping a journal and writing it with a fountain pen. Rarely is a pen written journal a major part of a TV programme.

I cannot identify the pen but it might be a Duofold.

It's a Sheaffer - he said so onTwitter. I was interested in the textured look of the paper he's using in his travel journal. It looked a bit too textured to take a FP.

Not sure if this has come up or not (I tried using the Search function both through Google and through the Forums). I've been catching up on the mini-series "London Spy" on BBC America, and in the third episode, Danny (who has been arrested on suspicion of murdering his lover) has been bailed out by his friend Scottie. Danny is frantically borrowing a pen from Scottie as they're sitting in the back of a cab (or hired car -- not sure which), to draw something related to the case. I didn't get a really good look at the pen, but it appeared to be something like a Sheaffer Targa because it seemed to have an inlaid nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There's a new documentary on Smithsonian, "The Queen at 90," about twenty minutes in she's writing something that looks like a Mont Blanc with a gold cap. Anyone want to try to identify it?

There's a new documentary on Smithsonian, "The Queen at 90," about twenty minutes in she's writing something that looks like a Mont Blanc with a gold cap. Anyone want to try to identify it?

I took a look and to me it actually looks like her good old Parker 51.

tic

I took a look and to me it actually looks like her good old Parker 51.

Welcome Aboard..Olya and enjoy your time here.

Re: HM pen..I agree it is a Parker "51". HM and HRH have Royal Warrants with Parker.

She uses Parker pens for her personal use and I don't believe she uses

Montblanc pens..

Fred

who at this very moment is usin' a Parker Vacumatic '35 Silver Pearl

and a Montblanc 244G...........................................

I have been watching an excellent series on NETFLIX "The Time in Between" Episode 15, 44:30 min it is 1941 in Lisbon , high ranking German officers are signing contracts

One party is using a fountain pen, silver, could not identify , but the Officer is using what appears to be a Ball Point Did Nazi Germany officials have access to Ball points at that time ?? I thought the Biro pen was used in Britain in 1943 for the first time outside of Argentina

The late Mr. Grove's fountain pen got a couple of close-ups in the penultimate episode of "Mr. Selfridge" but I couldn't identify it.

Anyone have better luck?

The late Mr. Grove's fountain pen got a couple of close-ups in the penultimate episode of "Mr. Selfridge" but I couldn't identify it.

Anyone have better luck?

Well... before he died, he appeared to be using a late 1940s Parker Duofold of English manufacture. The post-mortem pen close-up was of something else entirely that looked appropriate to the time and was... probably English.

I also noticed that the newspaper magnate Lord Wynnstay used a Sheaffer Balance to amend the headline reporting Selfridge's being pushed out of his own store to something less hurtful. I'm not positive of when in 1929 the Balance line came available, but since the events of the episode were in March of that year Wynnstay is definitely an early adopter ;)

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

tic

Welcome Aboard..Olya and enjoy your time here.

Re: HM pen..I agree it is a Parker "51". HM and HRH have Royal Warrants with Parker.

She uses Parker pens for her personal use and I don't believe she uses

Montblanc pens..

Fred

who at this very moment is usin' a Parker Vacumatic '35 Silver Pearl

and a Montblanc 244G...........................................

Thank you!

I have read once that HM also uses some Italian pens, but because I read that only once and we usually see her with her 51 I kind of doubt that, but who knows!