Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

The Clearing with Robert Redford (2004). He uses a MB149 (?) to sign a document.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

A Parker fountain pen in a 1947 educational short "Body Care and Grooming":

http://i.imgur.com/01gSajt.jpg

The pen is at 5:03:

MST3K version:

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Here's something a bit different...Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou (aka InuHasa, aka Dog & Scissors) is a 2013 anime about a book-obsessed guy who gets killed and reincarnated as his favorite author's dog. (A bit odd, I know.) Since this's a Japanese show largely about authors & writing, fountain pens show up pretty frequently. (Though the animators seem to consistently neglect to draw the feed...)

Here's a little imgur gallery of screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/A1jpV

Iffy animation aside, it's pretty neat to see a modern show set in present day where fountain pens are a normal, everyday tool.

Edited by Shavely Manden

Here's something a bit different...Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou (aka InuHasa, aka Dog & Scissors) is a 2013 anime about a book-obsessed guy who gets killed and reincarnated as his favorite author's dog. (A bit odd, I know.) Since this's a Japanese show largely about authors & writing, fountain pens show up pretty frequently. (Though the animators seem to consistently neglect to draw the feed...)

Here's a little imgur gallery of screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/A1jpV

Iffy animation aside, it's pretty neat to see a modern show set in present day where fountain pens are a normal, everyday tool.

hey, neat share! thanks for the gallery link. now that you've pointed out the lack of feeds, it totally bothers me haha

now that you've pointed out the lack of feeds, it totally bothers me haha

I know, right? I hadn't even noticed until I went to take screenshots for this thread. And it's not like they've never seen a fountain pen...they can clearly draw a passable nib when they put effort into it. It's like they never thought to flip their pens over to see what the other side looked like before drawing one.

I know, right? I hadn't even noticed until I went to take screenshots for this thread. And it's not like they've never seen a fountain pen...they can clearly draw a passable nib when they put effort into it. It's like they never thought to flip their pens over to see what the other side looked like before drawing one.

They may be quite accustomed to drawing with dip pens--no feeds.

During the latest episode of "The Americans", that depicts events that supposedly took place in 1983, there is an interesting prop: a two pen desk set in the office of a high level Soviet bureaucrat. The clear tapered tails of both pens look like Esterbrook although the set's trumpets appear to be from another company (Sheaffer?):

fpn_1460311945__americans.jpg

This most excellent rendering of The Sounds Of Silence:

https://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4?t=130

Can anyone identify the nib (although my OCD triggered right away on the fact that it's not a music nib :o )

-k

Wow! Most excellent indeed! Their powerful performance on Conan:

• 3 weeks later...

Watched an episode of 24 Hours in Emergency, a real life British hospital doco, this week. A young doctor was shown writing up patient notes after a death. He was using a Lamy Safari or metal equivalent, black in colour, black nib and black ink.

I thought it a very appropriate mix for the unfortunate task at hand, the last words he wrote being - "may he rest in peace".

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Just watched Civil War and I spotted Black Lamy Safari and Lamy T52 bottle of Blue-black ink :)

Just watched Civil War and I spotted Black Lamy Safari and Lamy T52 bottle of Blue-black ink :)

Civil War ? :yikes: :lticaptd:

Civil War ? :yikes: :lticaptd:

Dang, didn't Lee sign with a MB149?

IMBD lists over a dozen films/tv with title "Civil War" more specific please

I was assuming Captain America: Civil War which is releasing this coming weekend, but that would need to have been a sneak peek or trailer perhaps?

"After the Wedding" film-- there is a point where the ailing man is in the lawyer's office signing some paper. His rollerball runs out of ink, he asks for a pen-- everyone at the table whips out a Montblanc simultaneously and hands it to him. He signs with a green Generation fountain pen. Pretty awesome moment, sorry I don't have a still.