Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Sunday night's (18 Oct) Downton Abbey: Nice black FP with silver that what it looks like) nib and bands. We're in 1925. Not much detail as not wanting to spoil things for those in the colonies (gosh, the show does get to you!)

This last episode certainly was gosh Cobalt! That pen looked very NOS too (either that or they cheated and they were using a new pen).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

In the film Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, the lady at the employment agency uses a Parker Duofold (I think):

http://shrani.si/f/Q/7E/1c5b0cQE/2/screen-shot-2015-10-20-a.png

The film itself is also nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I saw a Parker 51 in "Home Fires": a character was writing a lot of letters with a blue pen with a hooded nib. It might be slightly anachronistic since they started making them in 1941 and I think this show is set a year before. Was anyone else making that kind of pen for the English market?

In Spectre Bond uses a fountain pen to write a note. I think it was a Waterman Perspective.

I just saw the movie today. Do you think he was supposed to recap it like that? That audible snap made me wince.

Do you think he was supposed to recap it like that?

It's Bond. Look at the number of cars he returned to Q division in one piece.

If Bond asks you to lend him a pen, you will praise the gods that you happen to have a 20p bic biro in your pocket.

Trust me, you don't want to hand him your most precious FP, which you carefully loaded with your most expensive ink.

It's Bond. Look at the number of cars he returned to Q division in one piece.

If Bond asks you to lend him a pen, you will praise the gods that you happen to have a 20p bic biro in your pocket.

Trust me, you don't want to hand him your most precious FP, which you carefully loaded with your most expensive ink.

:lticaptd:

As for the comment about the audible snap, I don't have any Waterman pens, so I don't know whether the Perspective is a twist off cap, a snap cap, or a pen with one of those sort of magnetic caps. Or it could be that the Foley artists were going a little overboard....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In a recent movie The Grey, Liam Neeson writes a letter to his deceased wife (Does it count as journaling ?) using a LAMY Safari.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

:lticaptd:

Or it could be that the Foley artists were going a little overboard....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Or just me having post-traumatic flashbacks to the one and only time I ever let someone else use my beloved favorite pen, which definitely has a twist-on cap. :)

I just saw the movie today. Do you think he was supposed to recap it like that? That audible snap made me wince.

I though it was a Montegrappa.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Can anyone ID Diana Rigg's fountain pen in this 1960s episode of The Avengers?

http://i.imgur.com/Sr56hY2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G8jeE65.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

In The Last Witch Hunter (currently in theaters, not particularly good) the main character gives his friend what they say is a "Waterman 408."

I'm not up to speed on Watermans, but the pen does get used and shows up a few times.

In a recent movie The Grey, Liam Neeson writes a letter to his deceased wife (Does it count as journaling ?) using a LAMY Safari.

Yes. I believe there are a couple of scenes of him writing. It seems to be a nice, wet line with a decent black ink. I bet he adjusted it and sucked up some Aurora Black.

I though it was a Montegrappa.

According to the James Bond Lifestyle website and other sources, it looks like the pen is a Ligne D by S.T. Dupont. A limited edition replica is available at Harrod's for the bargain price of £1,000.

Yes. I believe there are a couple of scenes of him writing. It seems to be a nice, wet line with a decent black ink. I bet he adjusted it and sucked up some Aurora Black.

I haven't seen the movie, however whenever you see the writing in a movie it always has to be pretty bold looking, to those of us who are familiar with handwriting, so that the camera can capture it, if the movie watcher is supposed to be seeing it.

When I was a kid watching old black & white movies on TV I was always intrigued by how darkly the characters pencils wrote. I wanted my pencils to write that darkly, but all I ever got was the ordinary, sort of grayish graphite of a #2 pencil. I suspect that for the movies they used either something like an 8B lead or a grease pencil for written things that the audience was supposed to read.

And most of the time when you see just a hand writing something on paper in a movie, and you don't see the actor's face, you're actually watching a hand double who has been trained to write legibly for the screen.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Can anyone ID Diana Rigg's fountain pen in this 1960s episode of The Avengers?

http://i.imgur.com/Sr56hY2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G8jeE65.jpg

It might be a Platignum. I base this on the shape of the clip.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I think I saw a Parker 51 in "Home Fires": a character was writing a lot of letters with a blue pen with a hooded nib. It might be slightly anachronistic since they started making them in 1941 and I think this show is set a year before. Was anyone else making that kind of pen for the English market?

I hadn't seen that pen-- I've been thinking, since PBS is running them back to back, how much better Home Fires has been doing with pens than Indian Summers. The latter is swarming with hooded pens, at least four years before the "51" appeared.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

It's a look. I know for certain that movie people are not sticklers for historicity.

What gets up my nose is the way they use quill pens in historical documentaries: can't they find a proper calligrapher to do those close-ups of Nostradamus or Anne Boleyn or whatever?

Not exactly a pen, but I just saw "bridge of spies" and one of the final scenes in Berlin takes place right in front of a pelikan store front.

Edited by RwindleIII

"A great man condemns others to explicate him." -Hegel