• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

A "silver" pen of some sort is involved in part of the season finale of Scorpion. I couldn't tell what it was (or even if it actually was a fountain pen -- it's never uncapped) but it did appear to look somewhat like a Ciselé patterned Parker 75.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I recall watching that episode, but didn't notice the pen. :(

I spotted a fountain pen in tonight's episode of Mr. Selfridge. It was about halfway through the episode, where Mr. Selfridge signs a document to sell 5% of his holding in the company. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to identify the pen. All I can say is that it is a slim gold colored fountain pen, where most of the body appears to have some sort of texture except for the end of the barrel which is shiny smooth.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the 1944 biopic "Wilson" on Youtube. At 54:53, first lady Ellen Wilson is writing invitations to daughter Jessie's wedding to Francis Sayre. She's using a beautiful ca 1913 gold-chased fountain pen. Very good close-up of the pen, unfortunately the Youtube video isn't very high rez. This is one of the best FP shots I've ever seen in a film. Maybe someone could buy the DVD (I think there is one) and check it out more closely.

Also, another gold pen is used by Wilson to sign the Treaty of Versailles.

Edited by cplschnapps

In the episode of Murder She Wrote entitled "Night of the Coyote," Jessica the heroine loses her prized Pelikan fountain pen (looks like an m800), finds it in a quasi-mystical manner, then uses it later to autograph a book that she authored.

Infamous. Closing shot is a closeup of a fountain pen. (a MontBlanc? )

In a recent airing of The Profit, the lead guy, I think his name is Mark Lemonis. He was using a Mont Blanc hi lighter

discovered "Decades", a new channel, which is showing All episodes start to finish of early US anthology series.

1st, "the Millionaire", each opened with a visible set of fountain pens on the desk facing you, featuring signing the agreement to receive the check. Far more entertaining viewing the character studies than I recalled as a child.

2nd, "Route 66" still great after actual dracdes. Only a few pens, but who cares, great stories, music, the car.

Skipped a few still deathly boring series, surprised finding "Twilight Zone" was now far to dark to endure. Didn't see one of the uplifting, "I sing the body electric" episode listed.

On to some of the well -written "The Fugitive", have yet to notice any pens. Must be distracted, back in the real world recovered ; )

Edited by pen2paper

Fountain pens appear a few times in the TV series Mad Men, but what leads me to make this post is a line from an episode in season three. One of the ad men has had a great idea for an ad campaign but he had been drinking heavily and didn't write it down. The next morning he had forgotten his great idea. In telling someone about this he quotes a Chinese proverb: "The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory."

Skipped a few still deathly boring series, surprised finding "Twilight Zone" was now far to dark to endure. Didn't see one of the uplifting, "I sing the body electric" episode listed.

The fatalistic tone of "The Twilight Zone" (the 1960s series) might bring you down; the pacing, due to an extremely small budget, is excruciatingly slow and makes the "punchline" - by 21st century standards, anyway - often predictable or even moot. The reboot in the 80s had some engaging stories. A favorite of mine is the one where the 1930s schoolboy (what an opportunity for pens, but I don't remember any) had to get home to tell his grandfather a story, a la Scherezade.

James

In Youtube documentary "How Hitler Humiliated France" about signing of 1940 armistice after fall of France at Compiegne: at 17:15, "Field Marshal Keitel hands Hitler the Armistice document for his countersignature" - Keitel has a handful of pens and Hitler takes one, but drops it and has to bend over to pick it up.

Edited by cplschnapps

In "The Cat's Meow", 2001 flick about a mysterious death aboard William Randolph Hearst's yacht. Hearst and his mistress Marion Davis exchange notes writing with what certainly look like modern Mont Blanc Meisterstueck 149s - but this is supposed to be 1924, thirty years or so before that pen was made!.

Edited by cplschnapps

I was wondering about that. Does anyone know what pen Gillian Anderson's character uses in "The Fall"?

Looks like a Caran d'ache Leman rollerball or a Waterman to me, but I'm not sure..

Parker im

I just watched The Big Knife (1955) at Amazon. It has a scene where a slimy movie studio head (Rod Steiger) forces his studio's biggest star (Jack Palance) to sign a contract. He pulls out a pen he claims was one of the pens used by General MacArthur to end WW2. MacArthur used his wife's pen (a Parker Duofold) at that ceremony. The pen Palance uses in the movie looks more like a Sheaffer; but that is just a guess on my part. I'd be curious if anyone call tell or has a better guess.

The pen is used about 35 minutes into the movie. Free with Amazon Prime and recommended on its own merits.

Edited by Kugelschreiber

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• 2 weeks later...

In the 2011 movie "Captain America: The First Avenger" Toby Jones plays the character of the evil Dr. Arnim Zola, here seen rejecting to sign a document offered by a Hydra henchman:

fpn_1435073692__hydradr0.jpg

Hard to see what pen it is, but definitely a fountain pen:

fpn_1435073779__hydradr1.jpg