Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

This one will be easy. Three minutes into Three Days of the Condor when a bad guy crosses a name off a list.

Fred

Sitting in the car across the street from number 55..usin' a fine nib Montblanc

Diplomat................

Redacting....with Ag rings...American Literary Historical Society

Fred

Edited by Freddy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Last night, while watching CNN, I saw an ad for a series called "Finding Jesus". The ad shows a recreation of some big shot art dealer making a check for more than a million dollars to buy a copy of what is supposed to be the Gospel of Judas. During the ad there is a scene where the art dealer puts down the pen on his desk but the view is obstructed by the banner at the bottom of the screen.

fpn_1426502093__cnnpen.jpg

A couple living Victorian-like and writing a book with dip pen. But see yourself how she writes with it at 1:18:

A couple living Victorian-like and writing a book with dip pen. But see yourself how she writes with it at 1:18:

oh my, she Needs a skirt grip! or a knitted spoke guard. yikes!

oops edited to note that was in reference to her bicycle. nasty fall if the skirt hem flutters into the wheel spokes.

Edited by pen2paper

Last Friday (March 13th), in the Flemish soap 'Thuis' (Home), Leah Thijs' character Marianne Bastiaens used a Parker Vector Flighter to sign the divorce papers that would end her marriage with Geert Smeekens (Peter Rouffaer).

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Sitting in the car across the street from number 55..usin' a fine nib Montblanc

Diplomat................

Redacting....with Ag rings...American Literary Historical Society

Fred

Love that movie but missed the pen scene. Would the Montblanc have been above the guy's pay grade?

Graham

I just finished watching "Savannah" (2013) the story of real life market hunter (ducks for sale) Ward Allen who hunted the Savannah river with his friend Christmas Moultrie in the 1920's.

It was recommended to me for all the shooting scenes and double guns but halfway through the movie Ward's wife gives him a wooden box with a scrimshaw plaque on top. Inside is a fountain pen with another scrimshaw inlay of a duck on the cap. Allen was Oxford educated and was quite fond of literature, his wife thought he might curb his desire for drink by writing.

The pen in question is a large black/green Pelikan, probably an 800 or 1000 judging by the size, and an anachronism as the 800 was introduced in 1987 and the 100 in 1998. Still, a nice touch and the pen goes on to play a significant role in the story and is in several scenes closeup.

Available on streaming Netflix...

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

• 2 weeks later...

In the 1974 movie "Chinatown" there are many scenes in which FPs appear, mainly in the form of desk sets. This scene is curious as it shows a desk set (with a pencil inserted the wrong way) and an actor using a pen which seems to run out of ink:

fpn_1428175694__hallofrecords.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (film, 2011) and in 1973 Control (John Hurt) uses a third generation black Parker Vacumatic in an early scene at a meeting. He later dies and everyone else regressed to ball points.

In The Expendables 2, Sylvester Stallone ostensibly uses a Chaos fountain pen to write something in an early scene... not a surprise since he was involved in the design of the pen.

Edited by katanankes

Last night, while watching CNN, I saw an ad for a series called "Finding Jesus". The ad shows a recreation of some big shot art dealer making a check for more than a million dollars to buy a copy of what is supposed to be the Gospel of Judas. During the ad there is a scene where the art dealer puts down the pen on his desk but the view is obstructed by the banner at the bottom of the screen.

fpn_1426502093__cnnpen.jpg

Looks like a modern Conway Stewart nib--the engravings and proportions seem about right, but it's hard to tell for sure...

I just spotted a fountain pen in an Edward Jones commercial (it was shown on one of the food/cooking channels, my daughter is watching a donut competition show). Did a quickie search on YouTube and found the same commercial, you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy7ibIeLt_k

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Last night I was watching Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece "Full Metal Jacket" when I spotted this character using what appears to be a Montblanc 344:

fpn_1429545716__fullmetaljacket.jpg

Last night I was watching Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece "Full Metal Jacket" when I spotted this character using what appears to be a Montblanc 344:

fpn_1429545716__fullmetaljacket.jpg

In Vietnam, that Jarhead/Journalist would be usin' a Esterbrook J in Black...no doubt....

Flag>>>Old Messy Sarge>>>Cokes>>>Miss November>>>Good Ol' Charlie Brown....

Fred

Edited by Freddy

A "silver" pen of some sort is involved in part of the season finale of Scorpion. I couldn't tell what it was (or even if it actually was a fountain pen -- it's never uncapped) but it did appear to look somewhat like a Ciselé patterned Parker 75.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

House, M.D. - Wilson always has two Lamy All-star ballpoints and Waterman Expert in his shirt pocket.

Cheers,

Adam

Awesome. Should we call him out for being overloaded?

Graham

A bit of a cheat with a Waterman Carene RB (not a fountain pen) in "Death in Paradise" (Season 1 Episode 2) but worth calling out because the pen gets some good airtime and the Richard Poole character makes multiple jokes about the French even though he is carrying a French pen.

Graham

post-77227-0-65460000-1429742051_thumb.png