Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Not sure this has been noted already (I really don't want to scrolling through 18 pages of posts), but in the beginning of the Doctor Who episode "The Idiot's Lantern", Magpie is trying to balance his books with the TV on in the background. He has some sort of long slim black pen, posted, with a gold nib, that he's writing with. Couldn't get a good look at it, but it's definitely not a BP. In theory, the episode is set in London, 1953 (but I don't suppose that the prop people would get that detailed, on the grounds that only nerds like us would even notice.

Anyone else see that episode recently, and can identify the pen being used?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

The principle actor in an Edward Jones commercial currently airing on US TV is writing with a fountain pen.

A current Korean TV series, "Pinocchio", has the male lead receiving a fountain pen from his long-separated brother about two thirds of the way through the series. It's a Montblanc, looks like a 146.

He (a news reporter) uses it in subsequent episodes for taking notes in office and in the field.

DAVID OSCARSON: Pierrot & Pierrette Limited Edition Fountain Pen in Calvary (2014)

http://i58.tinypic.com/2e5tdgw.jpg

Five minutes ago. Commercial on BBC AMERICA, for Edward Jones retirement. The fountain pen was black. The nib was a dark yellow. Must've been gold plated. No idea what pen it was

No pictures, I'm afraid, but a movie I saw last night had an interesting juxtaposition of old and new. The movie was Carlton-Browne of the F.O. (original title The Man in the Cocked Hat) from 1959, starring Terry Thomas, with Peter Sellers in a supporting role. In one scene, we see Carlton-Browne, a British diplomat, writing a letter to his superior with a fountain pen. Immediately afterward, we see the superior reacting to the letter, and dictating a reply to his secretary, who clicks an obvious ballpoint to take notes.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

DAVID OSCARSON: Pierrot & Pierrette Limited Edition Fountain Pen in Calvary (2014)

I"m not sure if this one is hideous or gorgeous. :huh:

I"m not sure if this one is hideous or gorgeous. :huh:

It's not that ugly, but is bloody expensive like $5400!

http://www.davidoscarson.com/pen_detail/PIERRETT.jpg

Pretty or not, SOMEONE is going to get ink all over his fingers holding it like that. ;)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew McFadden is lucky to enjoy using vintage fountain pens and dip pens in both Ripper street and in the feature series Any Human Heart. In the below snap from the latter, the younger character (not played by McFadden!) is perhaps using an early Parker or CS with a ball clip?

post-120796-0-97427300-1424548838_thumb.jpg

Philip Seymour Hoffman's character holds ( not uses iirc) an Lamy Studio in The Hunger Games -Mockingjay part 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Australia, we have a local TV series called "The Dr. Blake Mysteries".

In one episode, the doctor (Craig McLachlan) uncapped his fountain pen and the camera made a close up of the pen, and I believe it was a Parker IM. I am not sure when the Parker IM was first manufactured, but this TV series is set around 1959-60.

He wrote a letter in Chinese (characters) to his daughter who is living in China.

Sorry, I do not have the screen shot.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

I saw this on a local TV ad where a reporter points at some numbers with a fountain pen:

fpn_1425850744__tvreporter.jpg

Can't figure out what it is. A fancy Waterman perhaps?

I saw this on a local TV ad where a reporter points at some numbers with a fountain pen:

fpn_1425850744__tvreporter.jpg

Can't figure out what it is. A fancy Waterman perhaps?

Waterman Night and Day..........

Fred

If we believe our cause is just and necessary, how in all conscience

can I ask others to protect it.............and me..........while I keep clean

of the gory mess of war?

~ Dean E. Hess

Edited by Freddy

The first officer Mr. Kruse uses a screw top fountain pen to sign the papers relieving Captain Mueller (Yul Brynner) of command of the ship "Ingo" in the 1965 film "Morituri".

fpn_1425998492__hans.jpg

Trivia for film buffs: in the background you can see a very young Hans Gudegast (AKA Eric Braeden) in an uncredited role as the ship's radio operator.

House of Cards use Cross Townsend's all during season 3.

Oh an Russia's president uses a MB 146.

Edited by flipper_gv

This one will be easy. Three minutes into Three Days of the Condor when a bad guy crosses a name off a list.

Fred

House of Cards use Cross Townsend's all during season 3.

Oh an Russia's president uses a MB 146.

I was wondering about that. Does anyone know what pen Gillian Anderson's character uses in "The Fall"?

Looks like a Caran d'ache Leman rollerball or a Waterman to me, but I'm not sure...