Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

In the fall, BBC2 (UK) Gillian Anderson's Character uses an FP for her journal, but I'm not certain what it is...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2yv5els.png

Looks like it might be a Parker IM to me :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

In the fall, BBC2 (UK) Gillian Anderson's Character uses an FP for her journal, but I'm not certain what it is...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2yv5els.png

Some model of Parker?

edit: Beat to the punch, although Sheshka has a model name to go with it.

Edited by NinthSphere

This is a really cool looking one but I have no idea what it is, it is under "software to last" http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/shop-all-mobile-phones/Moto-E-pdp/moto-e.html

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

Heh, I nearly (and mistakenly) took that to be a reply... However, this pen's not quite so, erm, unfriendly. I, at least, only intend to use ink, not acid. ;D (Kidding aside, I do recall the acid-squirting pen you mention.)

Here's another shot - I am curious about it, so if anyone does recognise it, even vaguely, and deems it worthy of a reply, it would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gif~a slightly different pen-2b.PNG

Looks like the Aurora Thesi pen too, but that's a ballpoint and the one pictured is a fountain pen, no? Here's a link to the Thesi pen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aurora-Thesi-eco-steel-ballpoint-pen-Mint-/321580330689?pt=AU_PensWritingItems&hash=item4adfae6ec1

Edited by paloma32

This is a really cool looking one but I have no idea what it is, it is under "software to last" http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/shop-all-mobile-phones/Moto-E-pdp/moto-e.html

The nib looks like it has the profile of a Carene or 95s, but no metal like the Carene & entirely the wrong body for a 95s. I would bet it's been shopped to avoid a recognizeable brand like everything else in the photos.

The nib looks like it has the profile of a Carene or 95s, but no metal like the Carene & entirely the wrong body for a 95s. I would bet it's been shopped to avoid a recognizeable brand like everything else in the photos.

The weird thing is that the nib is really small and doesn't look at all like any other fountain pen I've seen, even the smallest nibs are bigger than that and are more inside the section.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

The weird thing is that the nib is really small and doesn't look at all like any other fountain pen I've seen, even the smallest nibs are bigger than that and are more inside the section.

The body flows down towards the nib in the back. I don't have a Carene to compare to, but the 95s looks similar when viewed from the left rear. It's not a normal nib, it's an inlaid nib.

edit: I'm sticking this here, so the pen in question is more accessible.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/334/5/4/54779dd58f742b9727fb6ba051691b7a-d8890o2.png

Edited by NinthSphere

Thank you kindly for the several replies, Ernst, Paloma (lovely forum handle - or rather, 'dovely' nom de plume, to better suit the site), and Carlos. Not only are they appreciated, they tell me this is a friendly and knowledgeable community (always nice to come across one of those, reinforces my hope for humankind ;~).

Is that not one of those "smart" pens that tracks motion to record what you write? It's a tech I'm indifferent to, so I haven't a clear mnemonic pathway to the name, but the shape is very familiar.

Well, I do not own any of those either, atm, but I am not wholly indifferent to them myself - simply because they have their uses (secretive spying? subterfuge graphomania? invisible penmanship?). Your reply reminded me of that, and I now intend to look into it, so I would like to thank you for replying despite your lack of interest in that particular technology.

Looks like the Aurora Thesi pen too, but that's a ballpoint and the one pictured is a fountain pen, no? Here's a link to the Thesi pen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aurora-Thesi-eco-steel-ballpoint-pen-Mint-/321580330689?pt=AU_PensWritingItems&hash=item4adfae6ec1

I can tell with certainty it's not the pen in question (the Thesi is a flat, round-edge oblong shape in cross-section, whereas the featured one has a distinct rounded-edge triangular cross-section, where the middle finger is meant to support the flat furthest from the off-centre point from below, while the thumb and index rest against the two flats adjacent to it), but certainly shares design elements, and although a ballpoint pen indeed, since I do use those as well, I am also interested - mainly because it is a perfect example of the great Italian design of 'elegant simplicity,'

Thank you for leading me to it - your mention of the Thesi also lead my to Aurora's fountain pen line, the Hastil - which happens to have a brilliant review by one of your fellow forum member on this very site. Double my thanks.

Looks like a Lamy Dialog ballpoint pen.

Uncanny, and may I say 'bingo!' (Never played, but often heard that expression without ever using it, felt like doing so on this occasion, if only because I am so surprised to find the answer. I really didn't think a correct identification would be posted so soon based on those less-than-perfect images.)

Spot on, then: that is the pen, I just looked it up. True, another ballpoint, but your help's not in vain, as I am interested all the same. Moreover, Lamy have an attractive fountain pen in the Dialog line, and several other lines besides.

Giddy great thanks - I love the look of some of these Lamy pens (and we shall see whether their feel, performance, and reliability matches - might scour the forum for opinions at a later time).

Thanks to all - for the replies, for sharing your knowledge, and for the friendly atmosphere round here.

Edited by nomad_traveller

On Monday nights episode of "Forever" the victim was killed by being stabbed in the neck with a Lanier Fountain Pen!

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

On Monday nights episode of "Forever" the victim was killed by being stabbed in the neck with a Lanier Fountain Pen!

David

Ack! I started a new thread asking if anyone had seen this episode, without seeing that you'd already commented about it here. Whoops.

Heh, I nearly (and mistakenly) took that to be a reply... However, this pen's not quite so, erm, unfriendly. I, at least, only intend to use ink, not acid. ;D (Kidding aside, I do recall the acid-squirting pen you mention.)

Here's another shot - I am curious about it, so if anyone does recognise it, even vaguely, and deems it worthy of a reply, it would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gif~a slightly different pen-2b.PNG

Very definitely a Lamy Dialogue 1.

Watching a show on pay TV here in Australia called Great British Menu, (a food banquet menu competition) where chef's menus are judged.

One of the judges, I think his name is Matthew Forte, is shown writing his notes on a particular meal using a fountain pen, actually shows the ink being laid down on his notebook. It is a very short clip but it appeared to be perhaps a sterling silver FP the type I did not have time to identify.

Since reading this thread it is the first time I have seen a FP on TV or in a film.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I just saw the episode of agents of shield with the "Waterfield" fountain pen, not to bring up stuff already talked about.

My question is, if he Agent Colson cannot afford a Fountain pen on a government salary, how can he afford a late fifties early sixties corvette?

I just saw the episode of agents of shield with the "Waterfield" fountain pen, not to bring up stuff already talked about.

My question is, if he Agent Colson cannot afford a Fountain pen on a government salary, how can he afford a late fifties early sixties corvette?

Ha. Maybe Agent Coulson restored the car himself. (I used to work with a guy who restored a '62 Corvette). Maybe his salary includes all the nifty Shield "toys", like the plane -- although the plane could also be a Stark Industries subsidy model. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it was just that the "Waterfield" was priced like a custom Nakaya. Or a Chaos pen.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Watching a show on pay TV here in Australia called Great British Menu, (a food banquet menu competition) where chef's menus are judged.

One of the judges, I think his name is Matthew Forte, is shown writing his notes on a particular meal using a fountain pen, actually shows the ink being laid down on his notebook. It is a very short clip but it appeared to be perhaps a sterling silver FP the type I did not have time to identify.

Since reading this thread it is the first time I have seen a FP on TV or in a film.

Greg

One of my favourite TV shows. His name is Matthew Fort :)

ITa not on TV here at the minute but I'll keep my eyes peeled

Ha. Maybe Agent Coulson restored the car himself. (I used to work with a guy who restored a '62 Corvette). Maybe his salary includes all the nifty Shield "toys", like the plane -- although the plane could also be a Stark Industries subsidy model. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it was just that the "Waterfield" was priced like a custom Nakaya. Or a Chaos pen.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You basically are making my point, just because you have a certain salary does not mean you cannot have certain things. It's all where you send your money.

In"A Christmas Memory" the character of Sook Faulk portrayed by the great Geraldine Page, addresses her packages of fruitcakes with a fountain pen.

P.S. The pen isn't mentioned in the original Capote short story.

Edited by Blade Runner

In "Back to the Future" (1985), while in 1955 Marty writes a letter to Doc Brown warning him of the future terrorist attack in the mall parking lot. It appears he is using a red Esterbrook.

Ok, this is one for the experts: In the 1945 movie "Objective, Burma!", starring Errol Flynn, the actor Henry Hull plays an older journalist that joins a group of paratroopers whose mission is to blow up an enemy radar station. During the trek, Hull documents the men's stories using what seems to be a Wahl Eversharp Skyline pencil. But, from what little I know, the Skyline pencils of the time did not have a domed cap like this one. Only Skyline fountain pens had this domed cap. Any ideas?

fpn_1418837051__burma.jpg