Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Montblanc in "John Wick," but it was a roller or bp.

Hey, that's how it goes sometimes. ;)

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I'm inclined to say Sheaffer. A Parker of this era would have a ball-ended clip, but it would also have a ring mount, at the top of the cap. The clip could be Waterman or Sheaffer, since it's hard to say if there's rivets or not, but the shape of the section moves me toward Sheaffer-- it's a little stockier and looks to have a bit of a shoulder.

This is a closeup picture I took. Maybe it'll help to identify this "presidential" pen:

fpn_1414606998__closeup.jpg

From the 1958 movie "The Young Lions", Christian Diestl (Marlon Brando) writes a farewell note to his love:

fpn_1414955460__younglions.jpg

Hard to tell what pen this is. But if there was a ever such a pen as a mottled Rouge-et-Noir lever fill with a Pelikan clip this would be it. ;)

Just spotted a Pelikan M600 or M800 (green) in Godard's new film, Au Revoir au langage. There's a close-up of someone dipping the pen

in water and writing with a flexible nib a page of nice, broad cursive handwriting.

Imagine my surprise - and joy--in seeing that unexpectedly!

Grantchester Season 1, Episode 1 (roughly 19:55 into the film) there is a shot of the victim writing a letter with a lovely black lever filler. Looks like a Waterman's with their gold metal box-lever system.

During the 1951 mexican comedy on the witch hunt craze of the time, "Dicen que soy comunista" ("They say that I am a communist) one of the characters uses a Parker 51:

fpn_1415275142__dicenquesoy.jpg

The FP user is one of the members of the "Radical Party of the Revolutionary Vanguard Youth". :lticaptd:

I was watching Pat and Mike on TCM the other day and noticed a scene where both Tracy and Hepburn used a couple fountain pens to sign contracts. Of course, pretty much any movie made in the 30's, 40's, and early 50's will show fountain pens in any scenes featuring writing letters, signing documents, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

In the 1932 movie "Blonde Venus" the millionaire playboy character played by Cary Grant makes out a check for the princely sum of $300.00 for Marlene Dietrich:

fpn_1416316171__grant.jpg

Note the following:

1. The awesome line variation.

2. How the wet ink glistens (see the "H" in "Helen").

3. The way he holds the pen.

4. What seems like a very odd nib.

Edited by carlos.q

In one episode of Seinfeld, Elaine uses a fountain and her boss, Mr. Pip (?) tells her they are too messy, so she throws it into her purse without capping it.

• 2 weeks later...
'ello. Have been browsing this thread, even resorted to using the browser's search function and hadn't seen mention of it: 'Love,' a film directed by William Eubank and released in 2011, classified as sci-fi, that I've just begun watching; features a pen that might (or might not) be a modern, streamlined designer's interpretation of a fountain pen (although it certainly passes for a possible gel, pressurised cartridge pen, or such).

Now let's see if I manage to upload the screenie so soon after signing in here for the first time, and see whether anyone recognises it, and whether it is a fountain pen...

post-118396-0-88912700-1417019972_thumb.png

Ah... there it is (hopefully). It appears at 'round the 19 min. 30 sec mark.

t&c

James Bond had a Montblanc that squirted out acid in one of them movies. I can't remember which one though

Heh, I nearly (and mistakenly) took that to be a reply... However, this pen's not quite so, erm, unfriendly. I, at least, only intend to use ink, not acid. ;D (Kidding aside, I do recall the acid-squirting pen you mention.)

Here's another shot - I am curious about it, so if anyone does recognise it, even vaguely, and deems it worthy of a reply, it would be much appreciated.

post-118396-0-95443500-1417022382.png

Edited by nomad_traveller

Fox's O'Reilly on his evening telecast of Tuesday,11/21/14 had in hand a capped black pen which I presumed to be a fountain pen. Did anyone else take notice and if so identify the pen??

Heh, I nearly (and mistakenly) took that to be a reply... However, this pen's not quite so, erm, unfriendly. I, at least, only intend to use ink, not acid. ;D (Kidding aside, I do recall the acid-squirting pen you mention.)

Here's another shot - I am curious about it, so if anyone does recognise it, even vaguely, and deems it worthy of a reply, it would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gif~a slightly different pen-2b.PNG

Is that not one of those "smart" pens that tracks motion to record what you write? It's a tech I'm indifferent to, so I haven't a clear mnemonic pathway to the name, but the shape is very familiar.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Just watched the 1963 movie The Birds Tippi Hedren using an Esterbrook J Fp [ I believe ] that was green, writing on

the envelope [ To Cathy ] on the hood of the car before she got in and drove away from the general store.

Just got out of Hunger Games Mockingjay Part One and Philip Seymour Hoffman used a Lamy Studio in either Palladium or stainless steel for almost five minutes straight. I think he used it upside down, I heard a scratch. Look for that clip, and on the nib there is a blue ink stain.

In the fall, BBC2 (UK) Gillian Anderson's Character uses an FP for her journal, but I'm not certain what it is...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2yv5els.png