Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Just read through all of this hoping to find out what pen Kermit uses is the new The Muppets movie... I didn't see the movie, but my girlfriend did, and she mentioned it. I couldn't find a clip of the scene anywhere...

edited to add that someone did mention the same sighting earlier in the thread though

I don't know but rest assured if Kermit chooses a pen it will be a goody, but Elmo is a different matter !!!!!!!

best wishes

Tom Aquinas

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I watched the movie "The Majestic" last night on Netflix streaming and saw a fountain pen used. It's exciting to me since it's the first time I've seen one in a movie since I've started using fountain pens myself. The scene near the end where the real Luke Trimble writes a letter to Adele from his Army tent. I didn't see enough, nor do I know enough, to identify the pen used.

Mark

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

On Monday night's show (March 5, 2012), Colbert waved around a Pilot Varsity. No big deal in using a Varsity, I know, but I was just surprised to see the man waving it around. It's the first one I've seen in someone else's hand (excluding FPN members, of course).

ColbertVarsity.tiff

VarsityCloseup.tiff

VarsityCloseup2.tiff

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

When I was a teenager I saw " A Space Odessey". On the space flight to the moon a modernistic Parker pen floated out of the stars' pockect in zero gravity, and a space hostess put it back in his pocket. In a recent cable TV transmission of the great Stanley Kubrick movie that scene has been deleted. My local cinema had a copy of that pen. I wonder if Parker or the studio still has one ?

When I was a teenager I saw " A Space Odessey". On the space flight to the moon a modernistic Parker pen floated out of the stars' pockect in zero gravity, and a space hostess put it back in his pocket. In a recent cable TV transmission of the great Stanley Kubrick movie that scene has been deleted. My local cinema had a copy of that pen. I wonder if Parker or the studio still has one ?

2001 Space Odyssey scene on board Orion...Floating pen..Enjoy..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e8aIjHX9U3o

Fred

Fred

Thatnks Fred

The film clip brought back a lot of memories. I cannot recall any other pen like that in a space movies, undoubtedly there are others.

regards

Tom Aquinas

Identifying writing instruments, in particular fountain pens ,is a challenge and a test for we who collect pens as a hobby. They can before the days of subliminal advertising when used merely as a prop in a movie reflect social values in selections of pens. The Parker 51s in the early Sir Sean Connery James Bond films and the Mont Blancs in the Sir Roger Moore 007 movies are examples. The same can be said of wrist watches.

Best and respectful wishes to all

Tom Aquinas

Edited by Tom Aquinas

It is really not in the movies per se, but there was a video clip of Sir Paul Mc Cartney in the 1980's using a big silver Waterman on a grand piano whilst singing Ebony and Ivory. There was a group of us from a post grad study group watching it after a study session and we all had Waterman's and grinned.

So, what happened to Fountainpen194's posts? He showed up on a few of the threads I'm watching with some smart a** comments.

:yikes: Did he get banned?!?

:thumbup: I suspect he did. One look at his profile tells the story. Joined today, no profile info whatsoever, and already 29 posts, in an hour and a half!!, wow this guy is good!! :roflmho:

Oh, and just to stay on topic..... +1 for the floating pen scene.

edited for more content

Edited by dex138

In The Notebook, Noah is using an Eversharp Skyline with a gold-filled cap to write his daily letters to Allie.

...Fairly sure, at least.

Tom Cruise playing the young attorney in The Firm uses a blue Parker Duofold jotter.

While watching Downton Abbey, I was on the edge of my seat when Lord Grantham took out a pen while trying to bribe the chauffeur not to marry his daughter. Actually, he was going to pay him off with a check. It was difficult to get a good look, but to be honest, it looked like a Parker 51 - metal cap, dark (plastic?) pen body. Maybe I saw it incorrectly, but my first thought was, "There were no 51s in 1919!"

Anyone else get a good look? I'll have to watch the DVD in slo-mo to get a better look.

Too short for a "51", even allowing for Lord Grantham's vast size. It looked to me like a perfectly appropriate flat-top overlay of the period, and which all looked sufficiently alike as to defy pinpointing the maker, never mind the model. I also noticed that what writing we saw in that show was done with points of various flexibility.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Fred

There was a thread in the Parker forum some time ago about Parker's atomic-powered pens; check out the third picture down the thread, on which there is a notation about a model. Look right?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Fred

There was a thread in the Parker forum some time ago about Parker's atomic-powered pens; check out the third picture down the thread, on which there is a notation about a model. Look right?

Thank you for the link... .While at the World's Fair..did not see this pen..<smile>..

Fred

Saw the Chinese movie 1911 with Jackie Chan. Near the end of the movie a fountain pen is used to sign some papers.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Saw "Iron Lady" with Meryl Streep holding a white FP (i can't identify it) and using MB 149 in various scenes. Note that the nib for the MB 149 used is the bi-colour one rather than the more modern tri-tone.

love it everytime she uses it. Classy!

In "The Queen", Her Majesty has a gold fountain pen it looked to me like a Waterman Gentleman ??

Best wishes

Tom Aquinas

In "Shadowlands" CS Lewis (Anthony Hopkins) endorses Mrs Greshams' sons "Narnia" book with a fountain pen, possibly a Conway Stewart.

While watching Downton Abbey, I was on the edge of my seat when Lord Grantham took out a pen while trying to bribe the chauffeur not to marry his daughter. Actually, he was going to pay him off with a check. It was difficult to get a good look, but to be honest, it looked like a Parker 51 - metal cap, dark (plastic?) pen body. Maybe I saw it incorrectly, but my first thought was, "There were no 51s in 1919!"

Anyone else get a good look? I'll have to watch the DVD in slo-mo to get a better look.

Too short for a "51", even allowing for Lord Grantham's vast size. It looked to me like a perfectly appropriate flat-top overlay of the period, and which all looked sufficiently alike as to defy pinpointing the maker, never mind the model. I also noticed that what writing we saw in that show was done with points of various flexibility.

Cool! Time to watch the DVD for another look :)

Tamara