National Pen Company

richards_d67

I cannot seem to find out any information on this pen. I know they made the "presidential pens" in the 20's or 30's. it looks around the same vintage and same characteristics but cannot find anything on "the blue ribbon". Any information would be appreciated.

thanks, dave

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philm

• welch

• richards_d67

• jonveley

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Ribbon was a brand produced by National Pen Products / Chicago, IL. Without a photo, I cannot provide a guess as to the timing of your pen. Here is a photo of one of their oversized jade flat tops from probably the late 20s to 30s. National was tied to many pen brands during this time.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/Chicago%20Pens/NPP%20Blue%20Ribbon/DSC_0003-15.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/Chicago%20Pens/NPP%20Blue%20Ribbon/DSC_0010-6.jpg

I hope this helps.

Phil

My impression is that National made pretty good pens, often sold under another brand. I have a "Tower" that (too lazy to dig iit out and check) was, I think, made by National for Sears. Nifty look. Hooded...black jewel. Aero-looking filler. Slightly smaller than a full-sized P51.

So, if I've got the right company, National Pen Company must have continued making fairly good pens until about 1950. Guessing the date from the popularity of the 51, and the aero-like filler.

That's a handsome flat-top above, by the way. One reason I love the non-top-tier pens makers. Attractive pens, and even good ones, for ordinary people. Just imagining the cost of a fountain pen from a factory-worker's wages, especially if the works was uncertain...as in the '30s.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight