Are Parker "51" Collectors Supposed To Look Like This?

kudzu

There doesn't appear to be room on that connector (the black bit with the threads on) for an o-ring; yours probably didn't have one, and as long as you seal the hood with shellac it's not going to be an issue. It's there to help keep ink inside, not direct it to the point.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kudzu

• FarmBoy

• Ernst Bitterman

• dcwaites

Thanks, Ernst Bitterman. I'll reassemble the pen forthwith (well, after I finish waxing some of my 100+ year-old floors) without the O-ring.

AND, I checked out your blog -- I'll definitely be a regular reader. Very entertaining -- both thought-provoking and very well written. :thumbup:

[edited to get my dashes right]

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

Well, I did play around and get everything reassembled (without shellacking the hood on yet). Writing is still erratic. Take a look. Any other suggestions for improving the ink flow? Thanks.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4850997321_40ceedbfdf_b.jpg

Up close:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4851091305_b6b351d6a6_b.jpg

Kudzu

Clean the slit in the feed and the nib slit by inserting the corner of a piece of paper and sliding down the slit. There may be some little pieces of insoluble crud in there, blocking the free passage of ink.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

My guess is the hood (or feed) is pressing to tight against the nib or the nib is pinched a bit tight.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

When I first saw the heading "Are Parker '51' Collectors Supposed to Look Like This? I immediately thought you would have a photo of Old Griz, or Richard Binder, as they are two notable Parker 51 Collectors. :headsmack: :embarrassed_smile:

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Make sure there is a tiny bit of hard rubber rod or a melted spot at the rear of the collector inside the narrow slit. This is the ink feed, and if it gets squeezed shut because that bit of hard rubber or melted spot is not there, ink will not flow to the nib correctly.

Too narrow a nib slit is also likely, as is collected crud in the nib slit or feed slit.

I always line the slit in the feed up with the slit in the nib, whether or not the slanted cut on the end of the feed lines up properly -- I feel having the feed slit in the correct position is more important that the exposed bit of feed "looking" right is.

I also usually run a bit of plastic film through the ink feed slit in the collector and down the slit in the feed -- a bit of crud in either can give you fits.

As noted above, make sure the hood is not pressing down on the nib as well -- if it does, ink feed can be somewhat erratic, and this will be very noticeable in a stub, since it requires more ink during use than finer nibs do.

I usually sonicate the nib, feed, and collector of any "51" I have apart -- always makes them work better.

Peter

• 2 months later...

When I first saw the heading "Are Parker '51' Collectors Supposed to Look Like This? I immediately thought you would have a photo of Old Griz, or Richard Binder, as they are two notable Parker 51 Collectors. :headsmack: :embarrassed_smile:

Donnie

You are right Donnie, this is what Parker 51 Collectors look like...

http://www.myfavoritepen.com/Tom.jpg http://www.ohiopenshow.com/2007/show08richardbinderatwork.jpg

And I was expecting to see a Parker 51 collector all gummed up with dried Superchrome ink.

To which I would reply - yep, that is how they look. Get an old toothbrush and start scrubbing.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, update us!

Flow is still very erratic. :gaah: I've tried a couple of different vintage inks. Looks like this pen will go to my favorite pen repairer after all. :)

Kudzu

And I was expecting to see a Parker 51 collector all gummed up with dried Superchrome ink. ing.

My tired brain put these two concepts together and the results were a bit worrying.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Ok, update us!

Flow is still very erratic. :gaah: I've tried a couple of different vintage inks. Looks like this pen will go to my favorite pen repairer after all. :)

Assuming that you have physically cleaned the slit in the nib and feed, you might want to see if you can find some old stock Parker Quink with Solv-X. I have used it successfully in a few pens that otherwise wrote like yours, and it cleaned them up within a few days of writing.

Look for bottles on eBay that are 1) unopened and 2) not much over $15 including postage.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Ok, update us!

Assuming that you have physically cleaned the slit in the nib and feed, you might want to see if you can find some old stock Parker Quink with Solv-X. I have used it successfully in a few pens that otherwise wrote like yours, and it cleaned them up within a few days of writing.

Look for bottles on eBay that are 1) unopened and 2) not much over $15 including postage.

+1! To this I can also testify....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Great suggestion. And I just happen to have a bottle, too!

My link

[Edited to add: It's not pretty, but at least I finally got the photo to upload....]

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

• 3 months later...

FarmBoy worked his magic & fixed my pen. Now my English burgandy P51 with the big B nib writes beautifully. Turns out the feed had problems, as did the breather tube. Neither were immediately obvious, and FarmBoy had to tinker with the pen to figure the different issues out. Mega thanks, Todd.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5480415996_34c7fc8b82_z.jpg

Parker "51" is fixed! by kudzu99, on Flickr

Kudzu

FarmBoy worked his magic & fixed my pen. Now my English burgandy P51 with the big B nib writes beautifully. Turns out the feed had problems, as did the breather tube. Neither were immediately obvious, and FarmBoy had to tinker with the pen to figure the different issues out. Mega thanks, Todd.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5480415996_34c7fc8b82_z.jpg

Parker "51" is fixed! by kudzu99, on Flickr

Cool thread. As a 51 noob, with his first two coming in the mail (as I post) this info may come in mighty handy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWSBI Diamond 530 | Namiki Vanishing Point | Lamy 2000 |2X Parker '51' Navy Grey (lustr.) and Black (GF)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” -Browning

I asked FarmBoy to stop by this thread to add his comments, clarifying more what he needed to do to get this pen to write well. Yo! FarmBoy! where are you?

Kudzu

I asked FarmBoy to stop by this thread to add his comments, clarifying more what he needed to do to get this pen to write well. Yo! FarmBoy! where are you?

Glad to hear the pen meets your expectations. I must say it is a nice nib as far as 51s go and it is an English bloody burgundy too.

If you look closely at the feed shown here you may see it just doesn't look right.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4829262233_6eacc7c7a4.jpg

There is no optical illusion, the feed is actually bent slightly and the feed channel is actually pinched. The hole? isn't so much a hole but more a pin (bleep) that was by no means correct and the breather tube was not long enough.

The repair was to replace the feed and breather tube and properly set the nib.

Nice pen to be sure.

EDIT: I see I've been bleeped. Bleep = what happens when you are poked with a pin.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.