Cursive Handwriting Using An Italic Nib

insaecula

Hi Rob! Yes, you are probably explaining better than I am. And, I've been trying to post my image from Photobucket, but it won't allow me to use the link. I keep getting an error message!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnneHW

• insaecula

• caliken

• Barnaby Bumble

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I'll try to explain. Maybe it's because the italic nib is wider and flatter, giving a little more stability? Also, the ink flow is heavier. I'm probably not using the right terminology, and I'm only guessing. When I write with the italic nib it seems to follow my hand (and finger) movements more accurately and easily. When I use a fine nib, it seems to go off in different directions so that my strokes aren't as smooth. Maybe because there is a smaller base? I'll try to post an example (if I can figure out how to get it from Photobucket!). Whatever the problem, I'm certain it's me!

Fine nibs -- smooth ones, anyway -- do have a tendency to "skate" more than wider ones, in my experience.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

Almost certainly a standard italic, then. I don't think anybody makes an off-the-shelf cursive italic, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

You are probably right because I know NOTHING about this sort of thing! I took a calligraphy course years and years ago. We used Speedball nibs! I just enjoy writing and I've fallen in love with using a fountain pen. But, I'm not a collector and I hardly know any of the technical terms other than "nib!" :wacko:

post-118270-0-28158200-1418416737.jpg

Finally, I think I've got an image. And, here there is really no visible difference, but the italic is on the top and under it is the Metropolitan medium (about the same as the Safari fine). The "g" on "dog" is mainly what happens to me. I just have a problem controlling my writing and feel as though the italic nib is a lot easier for me.

Edited by AnneHW

The easiest way on photobucket is this. Under each image are 4-5 diferent tags. Copy the one that is listed as IMG and then just paste it in your post.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

You are probably right because I know NOTHING about this sort of thing! I took a calligraphy course years and years ago. We used Speedball nibs! I just enjoy writing and I've fallen in love with using a fountain pen. But, I'm not a collector and I hardly know any of the technical terms other than "nib!" :wacko:

No worries, Anne. I knew nothing about any of this a year ago, and I'm still nothing resembling an expert.

The difference between a regular italic nib and a cursive italic (just FYI) is that the corners on the tip of a cursive italic have been rounded off so they aren't so sharp. It makes it easier to make the curves and loops of cursive writing because you don't have sharp corners on the nib digging into the paper.

So far as I know, the only way to get a cursive italic these days is to get a nibmeister to grind one for you.

If you're writing cursive with an italic nib and aren't having problems with the corners on the nib catching, dragging, and/or digging into the paper, I think you almost have to be moving your arm/hand differently than you normally would. That, rather than the nib itself, might account for why your "shakiness" disappears.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

All of you are so kind and patient! I don't know what was happening with Photobucket because I'm pretty sure I had the one with IMG, but maybe not. Then, I found where I could upload directly from my computer. I swear that was missing before! Seriously, I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing! Now, however, I'm back on my iPad which is limited.

So, I got my image posted, but the quality is not good. Usually, I just use my iPad, but this time I used my camera and it's not very clear. I'd love to know what any of you use, or do I need to go to another group and ask?

Again, thank you everyone.

Thank you, Craig. I keep trying and I'm constantly experimenting so there's a lot of inconsistency. If I think I'm going to share something I get nervous and everything tightens up, so I tend to lose the nice flow that, I think, it takes to get really good at this. I know, I have issues!

I have the italic nib on my Safari, but didn't like it 'out of the box'. It is a true italic, with sharp edges, which were difficult for me to use, so I rounded them off with micromesh and turned the nib into a cursive italic. You seem to be having a much better experience with it than I did. The nicest cursive italic which I have was crafted, by me, from a 78g broad fountain pen nib.

I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer italics/stubs or flex pens.

A while back, my wife found a Lamy Joy (beginners caligraphy?) set in a bookstore and bought it as a present for me. It has a pen body that resembles a desk pen (tapered back end), a cap, and the following nibs: 1.1, 1.5 and a 1.9 (all steel), a box of cartridges and a piston converter. All comes in a neat tin box. I think new they sell for about $50 -$70.

I already had 2 Lamy Safari pens,one with a fine nib and a medium nib.

The nib sections are interchangeable and the Safari cap fits the Joy nibs just fine. I have been swapping the nibs on the Safari barrel and have enjoyed being able to play with the different nib styles and sizes. The safaris and joys are easy to clean and service. The quality is good and the nibs write well.

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I have the italic nib on my Safari, but didn't like it 'out of the box'. It is a true italic, with sharp edges, which were difficult for me to use, so I rounded them off with micromesh and turned the nib into a cursive italic. You seem to be having a much better experience with it than I did. The nicest cursive italic which I have was crafted, by me, from a 78g broad fountain pen nib.

I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer italics/stubs or flex pens.

Interesting. You're right, it does have sharp edges that sometimes throw me off. I didn't realize that was part of the problem.

A while back, my wife found a Lamy Joy (beginners caligraphy?) set in a bookstore and bought it as a present for me. It has a pen body that resembles a desk pen (tapered back end), a cap, and the following nibs: 1.1, 1.5 and a 1.9 (all steel), a box of cartridges and a piston converter. All comes in a neat tin box. I think new they sell for about $50 -$70.

I already had 2 Lamy Safari pens,one with a fine nib and a medium nib.

The nib sections are interchangeable and the Safari cap fits the Joy nibs just fine. I have been swapping the nibs on the Safari barrel and have enjoyed being able to play with the different nib styles and sizes. The safaris and joys are easy to clean and service. The quality is good and the nibs write well.

Craig

Lots of great info here and NOW I want that Lamy Joy set!! I have two Safaris, and I'd been going between the italic and the fine or the medium. I thought, because I like the italic so much, that maybe I should try the medium nib again. But I'm thinking my writing is too small or something because the medium is kind of messy. So, it is nice that the nibs are easy to interchange.

The several Lamy 1.1 nibs that I have are NOT true italic nibs.

The edges and corners are NOT sharp.

I think they would be considered a Cursive Italic nib.

I can easily do cursive/script writing with my 1.1 nibs, without the corners scratching/snagging the paper.

Tip, the joy comes WITH a converter, saving you a few bucks over a Safari that you have to buy the converter separate. At least the black ones that I got from Goulet had the converter. I bought mine as just the pen with 1 nib, not the kit with 3 different size nibs. I think the discontinued white joy did not come with a converter.

I found the 1.1 adequate for daily cursive writing on a wide ruled notebook/journal. It is marginally too wide for use on a college ruled paper. To me, the 1.5 nib is a bit too wide for daily cursive/script (wide ruled notebook). I need to write larger for it to work. Currently, I only use a 1.5 for printing/italic the daily heading on my journal. Having said that, I would definitely try a 1.5 to see how it works for you, and where you can use it. It is a pitty that Lamy does not have another italic nibs at about 0.8mm.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I tried looking back to see if I'm repeating myself. It happens so easily!

I'm pretty sure I have the 1.1 italic nib, which I'm liking quite a bit, but of course, I have nothing to compare. A very nice member sent a variety of paper samples and that makes a difference, too. Thank you, ac12, for more info on the Lamy Joy as well as the other nib sizes.

I've always liked calligraphy and I have an affinity for fonts, so writing with an italic nib fountain pen is a joy. I'm so glad I found this thread and FPN is amazing!!

AnneHW, it sounds like you have a great start on exploring some of the different nibs styles and finding your groove. You'll find a nib style and width that matches your writing style and maybe even learn a new style while you are at it.

I get a lot of fun playing around with the many varieties that I have collected over the years. In fountain pens, I also like stub nibs.

A friend got me started on dip pens and nibs - a whole other world. I am a very early learner in calligraphy and some of the other letter forms. A great hobby.

You are right that the different papers, and inks, make a large difference.

Best wishes and good writing,

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Oh yah, Craig! Now I'm playing with paper. I'm trying Clairefontaine, Rhodia and Black N Red. I know that's a different thread, but just amazing how much paper impacts everything. I need to be working on a pastel painting and I'm so sucked into this!!

An inexpensive way to determine whether you're interested in pursuing italic nibs further is to visit eBay and buy a Pilot 78G double broad (BB) pen. This is a 1.1 mm stub that will give you excellent line variation without a whole lot of effort, and for only about $25.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

An inexpensive way to determine whether you're interested in pursuing italic nibs further is to visit eBay and buy a Pilot 78G double broad (BB) pen. This is a 1.1 mm stub that will give you excellent line variation without a whole lot of effort, and for only about $25.

+1

David

This is a cursive sample with a CI nib, the Lamy 1.1.

- The top sample is using a Lamy 1.1 nib

- The bottom is a Parker Arrow with a F nib, about the same as a Lamy XF/F nib.

Paper is WIDE ruled filler paper, made in Brazil.

Ink is Waterman Green.

You can see that there is line variation with the Lamy 1.1 nib.

As I was writing this sample, it came to me that a very smooth nib + wet ink + smooth paper could result in very LOW friction between the nib and the paper. This makes it easy for the nib to movie in different directions, if the pen was not under control. Kind of like trying to walk on ice. A dryer nib or ink would have more friction and be less likely to scoot to the side.

BTW, I found the 1.1 about as wide as I can use for "normal" writing. I feel the 1.5 is too wide for me to use for normal cursive writing. I would like to try a narrower CI nib that is a bit sharper than the Lamy 1.1, so I can still have the H/V line variation, but with a narrower nib.

post-105113-0-91928700-1419225460_thumb.jpg

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com