Cursive Handwriting Using An Italic Nib

insaecula

When the nib is the right shape, I finish off by 'writing' in a pool of Brasso (metal polish) on a piece of cardboard until the nib is glass-smooth.

That's a very interesting tip, and it makes perfect sense, of course. I'd never thought of using metal polish as finishing touch on a nib. Thanks for the suggestion, Caliken!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnneHW

• insaecula

• caliken

• Barnaby Bumble

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a very interesting tip, and it makes perfect sense, of course. I'd never thought of using metal polish as finishing touch on a nib. Thanks for the suggestion, Caliken!

Italicist -

Give it a try, sometime.......it works like a dream, but remember to wash the nib in soapy water afterwards, before dipping or filling the pen with ink!! :P

Edited by caliken

Just another sample - this time written with a Cisele Nib that started off as a regular medium but which I ground down to a Medium Italic. Let me know how it looks, thanks.

post-32175-025944700 1278773674.jpg

Let me know how it looks, thanks.

I think that the width of the nib is fine for the size of lettering but the nib edge needs to be sharper to produce finer upstrokes. This would create cleaner, more open lettering with a greater thick to thin relationship.

IMO this would further enhance the lettering, which is already very good.

Let me know how it looks, thanks.

I think that the width of the nib is fine for the size of lettering but the nib edge needs to be sharper to produce finer upstrokes. This would create cleaner, more open lettering with a greater thick to thin relationship.

IMO this would further enhance the lettering, which is already very good.

Thanks for the tip caliken - I've sharpened the nib and this is the result - better or worse??

post-32175-016038900 1278844335.jpgThe paper is something is I came across this morning - an old legal pad - takes ink very, very well.

post-32175-016038900 1278844335.jpg

... Does anyone else use an italic nib for everyday writing?

I keep a broad (1.1 mm) cursive italic at my work desk for signatures and personalized notes. But it's too slow for meeting note taking, quick memos and margin notations on laser-printed drafts. In those cases, I use a round medium nib or a medium stub (Asian).

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

BTW, Michael, if you use the following pangram, you'll exercise all the letters in the alphabet:

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

But then you'll miss that beautiful capital "G." thumbup.gif

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I've sharpened the nib and this is the result - better or worse??

Michael,

I think that you've achieved your objective....well done!

You're now writing your own form of looped cursive 'Business Writing' with an italic nib, producing attractive stroke-width differential. This proves what can be done with a bit of imagination and perseverence. :thumbup:

caliken

Edited by caliken

• 4 years later...

I'm pretty new to FPN, and I'm finding so many interesting posts that are "old" and often no longer getting any action. This would be one of them.

I've always loved handwriting and calligraphy, and I especially like my Safari with an italic nib. I'm not sure why it's so much easier for me to write using it. I feel like I have more control and it glides so nicely over the paper. The fine nib is more challenging, so I tried a medium (all on the Safari) and that's too heavy.

I could easily see using the italic nib for the majority of my writing.

What I need to do is get my act together and post examples. I'm so self judgmental and every time I try to do something, I already see the problems and think I need to practice more first. I'd love to know why the italic nib is so much easier? And, if others feel the same way, why don't more people use that style nib for the majority of their writing?

As I mentioned, the medium nib on the Lamy is too sloppy for me. But, I also have trouble controlling the strokes on the fine nib. It's kind of the same thing with my Pilot Metropolitan. That's a medium nib, but more like the fine nib Safari, only smoother. I love the way it feels, but my penmanship is not nearly as consistant and, frankly, nice as it is with the italic nib.

Fewer pens are available with italic nibs, and there's a learning curve to figuring out how to write with one at all; especially a true italic (as opposed to a cursive italic). And I would guess there are a lot of people whose handwriting doesn't work well with an italic nib.

Different strokes for different folks. (Get it? "Strokes"? I slay me.)

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

I'd love to know why the italic nib is so much easier? And, if others feel the same way, why don't more people use that style nib for the majority of their writing?

As I mentioned, the medium nib on the Lamy is too sloppy for me. But, I also have trouble controlling the strokes on the fine nib. It's kind of the same thing with my Pilot Metropolitan. That's a medium nib, but more like the fine nib Safari, only smoother. I love the way it feels, but my penmanship is not nearly as consistant and, frankly, nice as it is with the italic nib.

IMHO, the italic nib creates a line variation, so visually the writing looks more interesting. And for me, the width of the nib forces me to write larger and wider, thus making it easier to read. But it does take up much more horizontal space, and that is what keeps me from using it too much, my 1.1 nib is MUCH wider than my F nibs.

Yes the Metro M nib is similar to a Lamy F nib in width of the ink line.

What do you mean by "have trouble controlling the strokes of the fine nib?"

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Are you using a dedicated Italic or a Cursive Italic?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Are you using a dedicated Italic or a Cursive Italic?

I don't know how to tell. I was at a university bookstore looking for a fine nib for my Lamy Safari. None were available, but they had an italic nib I bought instead. That's all I know about it!

IMHO, the italic nib creates a line variation, so visually the writing looks more interesting. And for me, the width of the nib forces me to write larger and wider, thus making it easier to read. But it does take up much more horizontal space, and that is what keeps me from using it too much, my 1.1 nib is MUCH wider than my F nibs.

Yes the Metro M nib is similar to a Lamy F nib in width of the ink line.

What do you mean by "have trouble controlling the strokes of the fine nib?"

Okay, I'll try to explain. Maybe it's because the italic nib is wider and flatter, giving a little more stability? Also, the ink flow is heavier. I'm probably not using the right terminology, and I'm only guessing. When I write with the italic nib it seems to follow my hand (and finger) movements more accurately and easily. When I use a fine nib, it seems to go off in different directions so that my strokes aren't as smooth. Maybe because there is a smaller base? I'll try to post an example (if I can figure out how to get it from Photobucket!). Whatever the problem, I'm certain it's me!

I new to fountain pens but used to use dip pens for calligraphy many, many years ago. I'll venture to say an italic nib is wider and flatter and has a sharper edge on the paper which give it more "purchase" on the paper. It gives better control than a fine nib, sort of like new tires on your car vs. old bald ones?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Okay, I'll try to explain. Maybe it's because the italic nib is wider and flatter, giving a little more stability? Also, the ink flow is heavier. I'm probably not using the right terminology, and I'm only guessing. When I write with the italic nib it seems to follow my hand (and finger) movements more accurately and easily. When I use a fine nib, it seems to go off in different directions so that my strokes aren't as smooth. Maybe because there is a smaller base? I'll try to post an example (if I can figure out how to get it from Photobucket!). Whatever the problem, I'm certain it's me!

2 ideas

This makes me think your are writing too slow.

I was taught and have since learned that there is a practical limit to how slow you can write to write "strokes." Any slower than that and you are drawing, not writing. And when you are drawing, is when the nib wobbles and goes in other directions than what you intend it to, and you have difficulty making a smooth line or curve.

The other is the paper surface. A Fine nib needs a smooth paper, because the finer nib is affected/deflected by the surface texture of the paper more so than a wider nib. Get a magazine with a smooth glossy page and write on it. That is an example of a smooth paper that will not deflect the nib. Now you have a reference for smooth paper.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't know how to tell. I was at a university bookstore looking for a fine nib for my Lamy Safari. None were available, but they had an italic nib I bought instead. That's all I know about it!

Almost certainly a standard italic, then. I don't think anybody makes an off-the-shelf cursive italic, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews