Irish Green

lapis

Introduction

This review is going to be a fast one because I've been waiting for this ink for months, everybody has been talking all about it (well, maybe), and I now want to get it off my chest.

Of course there are many similar greens available from many other companies but since Irish Green appears to be the missing ink to racing green, this review compares only MB's racing green, MB's White Forest (Season's Greetings 2008 and/or 2009) and Caran d'Ache's Amazon. BTW I write Irish or even IRISH like this and racing like that because MB appears to have now capitalized their ink's names here, as Herbin always has.

Of all of the new 8 MB inks, which started off being launched at the end of 2009, the new Irish Green is the latest issue. And, just like Toffee Brown and Oyster Grey, which are two completely new colours to the clan, so is Irish Green. No, Irish Green is by no means thought of by MB as being a "replacement" and/or "substitute " for racing green (like Midnight Blue and Mystery Black are for the oldies blue-black and black).

Insights

Since I have no taste, I shall here and now admit that I have never liked the looks of racing green. It has already been described -- by me and others -- as a dirty, muddy green. It has also reminded me of the colour of a US army vehicle. Salesmen (and women) at MB boutiques told me that they also did not like the colour of racing green but were thrilled to announce that the new Irish Green was less of a greeny-brown but more of an emerald green (to quote them literally). For me (and them) that would represent an ever so slightly brownish green.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/IRISHGREENwidths.jpg

Pens and papers

As said above, I'm in a hurry (sure, for an ink which you already know you will always love, you'll likely spend more time describing it to others). As seen above, the "usual" ink notings of mine are on a halfways decent copy paper, here often a 28-pound HP-paper or a 120 gram HP paper. Since Clairefontaine and Moleskine are among the paper sorts most often chosen by others, here are a couple of scans on my pocket booklet pages. Oops, "Moleskin" needs an "e" on the end of the name.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/IRISHGREENpapers.jpg

Saturation, intensity, and waterproofness

I consider this ink to have a fairly high saturation and intensity. It is in any case more saturated and more intense than any of Herbin's, Waterman's or Pelikan's inks. Washing and rinsing therefore take a bit more time, but this ink is more water resistant on paper. I wouldn't call it really bulletproof, but after washing a dried out page for one whole minute under running water, almost nothing happens in the sense of disappearance.

Flow, wetness, and drying time

This ink has a nice flow and lubrication, just like racing green as well as all other MB inks (except, of course, the bottled blue-blacks which contain iron-gall). The drying time is comparable to that of other MB (non-iron-gall) inks: 15-20 seconds is more than usual, but for a saturated and "almost" waterproof" ink, nothing amazingly disadvantageous. If the ink is already dry, it'll remain practically unsmudgeable with a normal wisk of the hand.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/IRISHGREENsmears.jpg

Bleeding, feathering and shading

Bleeding with this ink on any paper remains -- to a relative degree -- at a minimum. This appears to be the least on CF paper, then comes HP, to be topped off with an intense bleeding on Moleskine.

Shading

Shading here is nice, although IMO only moderate. Not being a shading expert, I'd like to attempt the speculation that the "green" -- at the end of an upward motion of your hand and/or a lessening of the pressure you exert on the paper -- turns into a slightly more bluish green, in that it loses a half a tick of yellow. But only very slightly. All in all, a nice final colour resolution.

Colour Comparisons

I don't know what is all that "Irish" about this colour. IMO, "emerald" would be the perfect naming here. That means a dark green with maybe just a small touch of brown, or, do I see a touch of blue as well? In any case, it also reminds me nicely of the good ol' days when I used to go scuba diving just outside of Vancouver or L. A., where they used to speak of "the emerald sea". "Wow".

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/IRISHGREENcomparison.jpg

Having said that, it just occurred to me that I then couldn't resist taking a fresh look at White Forest (which definitely does have a more noticeable tinge of blue), and Amazon, which definitely does have a less noticeable tinge of blue but at the same time which absolutely is one of my all-time favourites as re a rich, dark "classic" green. Both of these appear to be less intense/saturated than Irish Green, but still more green than racing green....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/IRISHGREENComparison2.jpg

Availability

Being a MB ink, it will likely be available almost all over the world (okay, even if not all that up close in your corner store). As said above, it is already here on the market, costs 12.00 Euros (list price) for a 60-ml bottle whereas the older stuff came in at 8.90 for the 50-ml bottle.

See my review of MB's Midnight blue. Here, as of packaging, everything seems to remain unchanged.

BTW, the "sealing label" over my box opening says MAR 2015. What that means is that the ink (which I just bought today, and which was likely manufactured around March 2010) will be best before 2015. Of course, almost any ink will be keepable and useable forever, if you take enough care of it.

Last thoughts

I find that the colours of these scans on the screen represent quite roughly those which I see in the original writings on paper. If worst comes to worst -- yes, a lot depends on the lighting -- the scans you see above are a tick lighter and a half a tick bluer than the real thing.

Sorry, I still don't know why this stuff is called "Irish", but I'm sure that some of us do know the association. I do, however, find it to be a beautiful colour, and if you don't already have White Forest and/or Amazon, be sure to try this one on for size.

Mike

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Lloyd

• kathleen

• hollyuk

Thanks for a great review. This ink is excellent looking.

Thanks, Mike, I am fairly new to fountain pen use and very slowly and deliberately building an assortment of inks. Named Kathleen, a most Irish name, I have thought that I should make a beautiful Emerald green ink my signature color. I am going to purchase this MB Irish Green. After reading your review I know I will not be disappointed with the color or its performance.

The only thing that may be a problem with having this as a signature color is that MB does discontinue colors over time, an example is racing green.

Thanks, Mike, I am fairly new to fountain pen use and very slowly and deliberately building an assortment of inks. Named Kathleen, a most Irish name, I have thought that I should make a beautiful Emerald green ink my signature color. I am going to purchase this MB Irish Green. After reading your review I know I will not be disappointed with the color or its performance.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Reminds me of Noodler's Forest Green. Won't unseat Amazon and MBRG as my favorite greens, I don't think.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks. I looks like a winner to me! When I first joined FPN, MB inks were thought poorly of. Now, they're seen as superb (IMO).

Thanks to the stiff and increasing competition IMO.

I think the last decade brought an immense widening of the ink selection for consumers. Thanks to independent ink makers, the international internet sales and forums, or resulting dealer feedback most likely gave the companies a clue what had to be done.

The time when pretty inks like Parker Penman Sapphire were something exceptional is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice - does anybody know of anywhere that you can get this ink in the UK?

Cheers :)

"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hmm. The scan and water test results look very reminiscent of Noodler's Green Marine. I'd love to see a side-by-side if anybody owns both inks.

I am not a green-green fan, preferring those with yellowish tones, namely PR Avacado and the utterly amazing Sailor LE, Evergreen (gold tones on drying - wonderful). MBRG was too muddy for my tastes. But, I have recently discovered their Violet. Wow! Its so dark and rich. Nothing like Pelikan Violet, more akin to PR Eb Purple. And so well behaved. None of the other MB inks tempt me, though.

It is a little surprizing to me to hear Racing Green called "muddy." I always saw it as dark and sophisticated. It sounds as if I might have a preference for greens similar to tawanda's. I like J. Herbin's Vert Olive with its yellowish undertones. Racing Green was quite different with its intense darkness, and I liked it. The new Irish Green seems to vary its depth of color depending on the paper being used. It still is not as dark as Racing Green, which I prefer. I guess I will have to try a bottle to see how it comes out for me.

{A} Opus: I don't have both, but when I do, I'll compare them here.

{B} Frank: You're right. Not only is Irish Green somehwere between White Forest and racing green, but -- in comparison with racing green -- it definitely lacks a note or three of brown and grey.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

This looks a lovely colour - I always liked my White Forest, but this looks even nicer - must get some. Wheelers in the UK have it on their website and I can recommend their service (no affiliation just a happy customer).

I have to say I was disappointed when MB said they were replacing their range of inks, but one-by-one as they have come out, I have really liked them - even colours which I would never usually think of using like brown and grey. I really think they have done well with these. I know they are expensive, but I don't use gallons of it so it's affordable for me. My all time favourite was Voilet, but they seem have to simply replaced it with Lavender Purple (odd name for it - Violet was much better!) but it looks very similar so thank you MB for that!

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

• 2 months later...

I received a bottle of this ink for my birthday (received it and Lavender Purple). The color is a beautiful emerald green, with no brownish or muddy tones. The ink behaves very much like Parker Penman......very saturated, moderate shading, great ink flow even though the weight of the liquid seems to be very dense/thick. Highly recommend the ink.

I like the color. I really want to like a green ink, I really do, but for some reason can not get on the band wagon....

Farseer, have you ever seen PR's Spearmint? Fantastic color! It leaps off the page when using an italic (I'm sure a stub, too.).

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

My all time favourite was Voilet, but they seem have to simply replaced it with Lavender Purple (odd name for it - Violet was much better!) but it looks very similar so thank you MB for that!

I agree. Lavender Violet is more like it. Great color.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a bottle of this ink - I'm really pleased with it - really lovely colour! Oh and I also really like the new bottles.

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

I've just bought a bottle of this ink - I'm really pleased with it - really lovely colour! Oh and I also really like the new bottles.

Holly, thanks for noting this. I did forget to mention it in this review (I think)...

... One of the very most important thingies about the new MB series is their new bottles. Yes, some of us (but not me) like the older shoe shapes better -- and if that's the case then you're certainly hung up even more on the bottles of 1-2 generations ago -- but these newer bottles are packaged better ... and...

very most importantly, they have a better cap and seal. You can now take the cap off and re-insert and close same without any physical calamities.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Good review!

Its all about expectations. I like BRG. In fact it is my favorite black ink.

It is not my favorite black black ink though.

It is my favorite non-black black. I think it is my favorite ink.

I hear they have BRG still in San Jose, Costa Rica. I got a bottle there recently, and they said they had plenty more.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness