• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Pickering

• wimg

• sonia_simone

• Stumpy

I like Mark's (london) entry the best. Legible and elegant. It is similar to what I'm striving in my handwriting, after months of practice, maybe...

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

Many thanks to James for hosting this, I had a metric ton of fun with it. I am sure I can come up with another calligraphy book to contribute as a prize for the next competition.

GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,

My staff of faith to walk upon,

My scrip of joy, immortal diet,

My bottle of salvation,

My gown of glory, hope's true gage;

And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

Congratulations to the winners! And to everyone who took the time to enter. This was a great thing to participate in and did my everyday hand a lot of good.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I had fun doing this contest, thank you James :)

Next time, if I have more time, I'll do it more seriously and take my time writing, it was my fast handwriting for taking notes :P

It was sad I was the only one to give an non-english entry, I would have loved to see some spanish or dutch lines :)

Beautiful work all. It is a real treat to see so many variations. It gives hope to those of us who would like to write so well.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

NG-Huy, I was very jazzed to see Le Petit Prince represented.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Hi all,

First of all:

James, thank you very much for hosting this competition, and for being so kind to judge the entries and provide the prizes for the winners of the contest! I think it has been great fun, and very exciting, considering the level of the entries.

Chrysoulla, M4R1N4, and Stumpy: congratulations with your entries and the recognition you got for your efforts! May this be an encouragement to practice even more, and become masters at calligraphy!

To yiterp, ToThePoint, Tytyvyllus, einv, TMann, NG_Huy, cwm, sonia_simone, Hobo Bob, jamesm, yoyology, PinarelloOnly, Dawn, and london: thank you very much for entering in this competition. I really admire your efforts: I couldn't write like that! I hope this will be an encouragement for you too not to give up practicing, and that you will be entering here for fum and in any future competitions! I for one will certainly be looking forward to your entries!

To everybody else: go get your italic pens out, and practice :D. As James says, it is to encourage italic handwriting, and we should really all do this. I do dabble in this at times, and it is great fun. It would be nice to be able to look forward to entries from any of you, and myself for that matter, so let's all get going with our italics!

James, if you do want to run another competition, please let us know, we'll gladly make some space available!

Thanks again, to all!

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Chris, Marina, and Stumpy :) :) :) Well done!

Thank You, James, for adding special interest to our Penmanship Forum and for fostering more interest in Chancery Italic. :) It must have been hard to choose--I saw some more entries that I would have had a hard time choosing from!

It was great to see 17 entries, and to anyone who didn't win this time, keep practicing...there may be other contests.

Best to all,

Ann

.......... James, if you do want to run another competition, please let us know, we'll gladly make some space available!

Thanks again, to all!

Warmest regards, Wim

Thank you for your comments and congratulations to the participants, Wim.

Yes, I am ready to go with round 2 -- with refined rules to overcome the deficiencies of the previous ones. I will post them as soon as I get the go-ahead.

James

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Chris, Marina, and Stumpy :)  :)  :) Well done!

Thank You, James, for adding special interest to our Penmanship Forum and for fostering more interest in Chancery Italic.  :)  It must have been hard to choose--I saw some more entries that I would have had a hard time choosing from!

It was great to see 17 entries, and to anyone who didn't win this time, keep practicing...there may be other contests.

Best to all,

Ann

Thank you for your congratulations and recognition of the efforts of the participants, Ann.

I hope that all fledging Italic writers remember to visit and carefully study your most excellent Chancery Italic Script instructions posting at the top of this page.

James

It was sad I was the only one to give an non-english entry, I would have loved to see some spanish or dutch lines :)

I did Middle English... does that count? :P

Yes, I am ready to go with round 2 -- with refined rules to overcome the deficiencies of the previous ones. I will post them as soon as I get the go-ahead.

I'm still recovering from the first one... and I think I need some black ink! :D

Congrats again to the winners, I'm still admiring your pieces :blink:

Edited by Hobo Bob

Congrats to Chris, Marina and Stumpy----your work is amazing! :o

Thanks to everyone who entered---it was so nice to see different examples of nice handwriting :) ---and to Mr. Pickering for sponsoring the contest.

Bravo, everyone!! :D

Hello James... I am writing to thank you for the wonderful book that I won and the opportunity to have won it. It is a nice feeling and I wish all others good luck with any ensuing competitions. I am looking forward to seeing this book and will proudly display it among my other penmanship books.

For the enthusiastic entrants from this competition and others who will enter next time, Italic is like a dance; it is done in parallel forms just as the professional dance duo that performs in one parallel movement. The letters should slant as uniformly as possible. When I have more time, I will post some Italic letters that slant well and some that do not slant like they should, then I will draw lines thru the letters to show you a simple method to check your work.

I would like to thank all of you for your wonderful comments. You are all great players and that is commendable. I was happy to see all the entries and knew it would be a tough competition. Congratulations to Stumpy and M4r1n4 (when I finally retire my pens and inks, Marina's hand will keep writing to make her mom happy :).

Thanks again! Chris (Chrysoulla)

• 3 weeks later...