What Ink Is Safe To Use In Mont Blanc Fountain Pens?

Mont Blanc Collector

Interesting - so it becomes a mono colored, solid gold nib then? I wonder if the newer ones received a better version/technology plate which is more wear resistant.

The plating is decoration, and not sure why it wears on certain 'vintages' over others. The only other plating I've seen wear off is the palladium plating on some 136 and 138 models I've previously owned.

edited to add: Just as scrawler said, 18K gold, not solid gold. That's 75% gold, 25% other metals (jar will chime in here) to make an alloy.

As always, Eric, interesting to find out what Montblanc do (from all angles of the production process).

And agreed per the .750 rating. When I say "solid gold" I actually mean that it's "gold"; right through, per whatever the rating, be it 9k, 14k or 18k - basically, not a cheaper metal which has been plated with gold. Or in this case, nothing for the iron gall ink to start eating at if the plating were to [god forbid] chip away. Being all gold, or "solid" gold, I can leave the iron gall all over the nib and not really worry, bar the 1,2 or 3 month clean/flush.

Cheers

Adam

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• trojan_four

• niksch

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - so it becomes a mono colored, solid gold nib then? I wonder if the newer ones received a better version/technology plate which is more wear resistant.

The plating is decoration, and not sure why it wears on certain 'vintages' over others. The only other plating I've seen wear off is the palladium plating on some 136 and 138 models I've previously owned.

edited to add: Just as scrawler said, 18K gold, not solid gold. That's 75% gold, 25% other metals (jar will chime in here) to make an alloy.

Can't think of much I could add except that it is the alloys that often determine how much flex there will be in the nib as well as the color. One of the characteristics of gold is that it is really malleable but has almost no memory or spring. Bend it and it stays bent.

The color also depends on the alloys, copper will make a reddish gold while silver, nickle or palladium make a white gold. A yellowgreen color can be made by using just silver and gold.

AbE: IMHO the Parker 51 Rainbow cap has to be one of the most stunning gold fountain pen caps of all time.

Edited by jar

Always tought that the Waterman Florida Blue was the safest ink ever.

Some say the Herbin ink is safe as well.

Any toughts?

Edited by broker

I use both. Herbin goes in my high end pens that have white feeds or are subject to staining with other inks. Rinses clear in a heartbeat and lovely performance in demonstrator pens. Waterman is a slightly better performer on poor paper, but lacks the range of colors

Have seen 2 severely damaged MB 144 (mainly the section ring and feed) and I'm very concerned about my pens.

I have the montblanc black and just today discoveredy the as an "Iron gall ink" it should be dangerous to then, kind of disappointed by that.

I have:

montblanc black

sheaffer skrip Red

noodler's navajo tourquoise

As far as I know all of then are in the "not so safe" side...

Will order some Herbin today !!!

i used several brands and different colors in my black 2002 mb 149 F-nib:

mb

waterman

aurora

parker

sheaffer

pelikan

sailor

private reserve (currently)

caran da ache

never had any problems with this pen.

Lennard

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

I just received my 149 yesterday and quickly baptised it with Montblanc's version of iron gall (the most caustic you can get from them apparently). I have to say, it is super ink - when I wrote with it this morning, it didn't skip a single beat - just smooth writing as soon as the nib hit the paper. This is completely different to my old Waterman which used to take a few strokes to get going after an overnight rest........

As an aside, I was at my favourite pen shop yesterday and I questioned them about Noodler's in Montblancs - I was given a firm "No" as a response. Purely from a warranty perspective apparently. Regardless, I'm happy with my blue-black and racing green!

Hey there Scrawler - LOVE that avatar!!

Cheers

Adam

I agree. MB Blue-black is an amazing ink.

Have seen 2 severely damaged MB 144 (mainly the section ring and feed) and I'm very concerned about my pens.

I have the montblanc black and just today discoveredy the as an "Iron gall ink" it should be dangerous to then, kind of disappointed by that.

I have:

montblanc black

sheaffer skrip Red

noodler's navajo tourquoise

As far as I know all of then are in the "not so safe" side...

Will order some Herbin today !!!

MB Blue-black is not dangerous, if used responsibly.