What's The Most Difficult Letter For You To Form In Cursive?

dnb

For me, the most difficult letter to form while writing cursively is a capital E. It is hard to get the proportions just right. I practice again and again and guess I need to do it more. It does help, though, if I think of a small c on top of a larger c.

What's yours?

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KateGladstone

• bigstick

• dnb

• kanajlo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was easy for me. Upper case "Q" was always taught as "2" with a long tail. I've never mastered it in cursive, and for the last 30 years I just print Q, lift my pen and continue with the rest of the word. Lower case "q" also throws me in the middle of a word. Always comes out a sort of shriveled musical quaver or cramped "p" or "g". blink.gif

And yes my "E" is also awkward and ill-looking.

Coincidentally, the capital E.

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg

Lower case q will often cause a stop in my writing making me sputter or have to slowly draw it. Recently I've adopted just using an uppercase Q in both instances.

For me it's that stupid lower case "r". Not that it's a problem when I take my time and think about it, but whenever I'm writing in a hurry, my r's look like i's I forgot to dot. Until recently my Capital I and T were also issue, but I've found new ways to write each that I prefer and have quickly adopted.

Capital I in cursive somehow always looks like a really tall sombrero whenever I try to put one on paper.

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

For me, it's my upper case I and S - though I've recently come full circle to a form of the Palmer-style S I was originally taught by the nuns. I've recently become unhappy with my lower case r and have been seeking inspiration from Kelchner.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/148/mikesignh6.gif

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

For me, the most difficult letter to form while writing cursively is a capital E. It is hard to get the proportions just right. I practice again and again and guess I need to do it more. It does help, though, if I think of a small c on top of a larger c.

What's yours?

uppercase "E" and both "Z"

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

For me it's that stupid lower case "r". Not that it's a problem when I take my time and think about it, but whenever I'm writing in a hurry, my r's look like i's I forgot to dot. Until recently my Capital I and T were also issue, but I've found new ways to write each that I prefer and have quickly adopted.

This. All of this. Ha!

Lowercase r's and uppercase t's and i's give me the most trouble. Some of the capitals are extremely awkward for me to execute, being a lefty.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Me too w/ the Q. I think the real problem is that I have never actually *decided* how I want it to look because I dislike all the standard cursive options for it. I usually just print my Qs. A cop-out, I know. :embarrassed_smile: It was less of a problem before, when I tended to print many of my caps (when writing cursive otherwise), but lately I am trying to write real cursive caps more often & those Qs really stick out now!

Capital Q's are not common in English. I really hated writing French because of all the capital Q's, but probably the most difficult is r when I'm trying to just write. e's aren't difficult, but I often close of counter when writing quickly.

Renzhe

For me, the most difficult letter to form while writing cursively is a capital E.

What's yours?

Since the "E" is the first letter in my name, there was no excuse. I had to practice that one often. ;)

For me it's that stupid lower case "r". Not that it's a problem when I take my time and think about it, but whenever I'm writing in a hurry, my r's look like i's I forgot to dot.

Yes, the lowercase "r". I tend to lose, particularly when writing quickly, the slanted "plateau" I was taught with the resulting letter looking like an undotted "i".

I've seen variants with a loop before coming across to form the plateau, which I think would reduce to the tendency for the undotted "i" look. But because I never learned that version I find it awkward and slow.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I like and have no real issues with my pseudo-italic/print handwriting, but I have issues with cursive which is what I'll be referring to mostly here.

Assuming difficult is based on my like or dislike of the letter after I've written it, it is most obviously capital S. I hate them! :gaah: And it's the first letter in my first name! I think I just fundamentally hate the way they look; in cursive they look like stupid ampersand (Also gives me trouble...) and in print I have trouble making them look balanced - when I go slowly enough to balance them the curves aren't smooth (this is a trouble with all curving letters for me... always has been :( ). I've been trying to find other capital Ss to use and I think I've finally found one I can reliably make that I like. Just need to practice.

Next in line would be lower-case r, but it's a speed thing. I don't particularly like Ts but it's more that I expect them to look more like Fs... Lower-case t looked a lot like l with a line through it, until I started thinking about proportions. I'm not sure what's "correct" but I've started to make my ts about 3/5th the height of a capital and my ls 4/5th and it's helped me a lot.

Short version: Capital cursive S.

...it is most obviously capital S. I hate them! :gaah: And it's the first letter in my first name!

Oh, that makes me feel so much better since the E is mine and the first letter of my wife's name. I guess after 30 years she won't divorce me over it.......blink.gif

D

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I have most problems with capital T and F, and sometimes capital D.

I learnt "old time" cursive on my own in my teens, but seems to have given up on the capitals and just kept writing them like I did with the "modern" cursive we were taught at school.

I've been working on my cursive lately and am having some problems with some of the "proper" capitals, expecially T and F that always seem quite shaky.

(I've just been going through documents from the 1835 census in Stockholm - all handwritten - and I was quite pleased to see that even back then the T's and F's sometimes looked just as shaky as mine...)

Most likely G. How do the two look alike?

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Most likely G. How do the two look alike?

To whom does the question go?