FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

„Hunde, die bellen, beißen nicht.“

„Wo Rauch ist, da ist auch Feuer.“

;)

I think European languages will share many idioms and proverbs if we took a further look.

Edited by Astron

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

On 9/3/2018 at 1:22 AM, crahptacular said:

EDIT: Do you really use that really colorful eraser? Aren't those the ones you're supposed to keep in your pencil case at school to show to your classmates that you're one of the cool kid while you actually use the remnant of the old plain white eraser that's been lying around in the family junk jar for years and you got to finish it 'cause it's a waste otherwise? :)

I was born and raised in the USSR and I haven't a rich childhood and I also used old rubber ( like a stone) which was not erased :). By the way, modern rubber also loses its elasticity in 4-6 months(early I used Koh-I-Noor). These colored eraser (in the form of doodle owls) my wife bought to our sons in Sweden and I took one from they. It's been 2 years now, but it still works well (lost only a little of elasticity) :).
RoyalBlueNotebooks: which pencil do you prefer? I'm tried Faber-Castel(expensive series) at the exhibition - he is like Uni Kuru Toga without rotation with their safety mechanism which not usable for sketches only for draftsmen.

I continue....

We say "не бойся собаки которая лает, а бойся что молчит и хвостом виляет" (don't be afraid of barks dog, but be afraid of the dog who is silent and waves his tail). And we also have : "нет дыма без огня" (there is no smoke without fire) :).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I have the right Italian flag:)

spacer.png

spacer.png

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

„Hunde, die bellen, beißen nicht.“

„Wo Rauch ist, da ist auch Feuer.“

;)

I think European languages will share many idioms and proverbs if we took a further look.

We really do ^^

I was born and raised in the USSR and I haven't a rich childhood and I also used old rubber ( like a stone) which was not erased :). By the way, modern rubber also loses its elasticity in 4-6 months(early I used Koh-I-Noor). These colored eraser (in the form of doodle owls) my wife bought to our sons in Sweden and I took one from they. It's been 2 years now, but it still works well (lost only a little of elasticity) :).

RoyalBlueNotebooks: which pencil do you prefer? I'm tried Faber-Castel(expensive series) at the exhibition - he is like Uni Kuru Toga without rotation with their safety mechanism which not usable for sketches only for draftsmen.

I continue....

We say "не бойся собаки которая лает, а бойся что молчит и хвостом виляет" (don't be afraid of barks dog, but be afraid of the dog who is silent and waves his tail). And we also have : "нет дыма без огня" (there is no smoke without fire) .

Now I have the right Italian flag:)

Thank you for another great drawing! We do have several sayings in common, that's really interesting to know, I wouldn't have imagined.

I remember those stone-hard rubbers really well. Since they had been lying around the house for years, they had zero elasticity. Sometimes I would rip the page of my notebook trying to erase what I had written. What a nightmare. Old Staedtler erasers were a jump in quality but you had to use them till they were gone and when they got very small you had to erase with a very tiny ball which escaped from your fingers 9 times out of 10.

A couple of years ago I discovered the existence of pen-erasers. Now this is progress!

For my thin lines, call me cheap but I prefer the Pentel GraphGear 500. It's got great balance and the grip is made of knurled metal, very grippy, and it's got a lead window too, which is so handy. It substituted my Zebra DelGuard (basic model in plastic) which clip kept bothering me when I rotated the pencil.

For my thick lines, when the old no-name 2mm clutch pencil that had been in the family junk box for years broke in half, I splurged and bought the Staedtler 925 25-20. All metal, with push mechanism for the lead, so it doesn't fall out all at once when you push the button. It's perfect, I love it. It was a bit heavy for me at the beginning but I got used to it.

Which Faber-Castell pencil are you referring to? If it's the mechanical pencil with the metal grip, I saw them in shops in Venice but the cost wasn't within budget for me at the time. The ones in dark green with the plastic grip I only tried holding in a shop and were back-heavy for me.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Yes, I meant a mechanical pencil with metal grip TK-Fine Vario and its previous version in green-black colour. I just bought now a pencil Pentel GraphGear 500 on EBay, how will come, I'll try it, thanks:).

Alsp I was thinking about Rotring pencil, but I did not try it.

Another speed sketch. Got a new brush (dagger)--having fun with it but I'm not sure yet how to use it properly. Enjoying the exploring process.

fpn_1536036135__sketch9.jpg

On the subject of mechanical pencils, I use a few, but my mainstays are the Pentel Graphgear 500 (I've been using the same one for the last fifteen years or so), a Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch, and a Uni Alpha Gel when I feel like using the thick, soft grip. For some reason I don't like getting new pencils, and just stick with the ones I've had for ages. I've tried a few different types over the years but always go back to the same ones in the end.

crahptacular: I have a technical question: how do you use color inks and brushes for your sketches? You have so many shades on sketches. When you get ink from bottle you need is clean brush otherwise the original ink will be dirty (contaminated). With watercolors everything is simple - they are solid and even if they are dirty it is easy to remove it with a clean brush, but this is not the point. With liquid ink everything is much more complicated, even dirty water can damaged (spoil) them …

I hope my bad English still allows me to correctly (understandably) ask a question.:).

I use a watercolor palette and drop a few mL of ink into the empty pans. I let them dry so that only the solid dye remains. Then I just use a wet brush to pick up the color and mix in a separate tray. This is a bit of an experiment, but it has been working pretty well. The only difficulty is that some of the dyes are easier to pick up with the wet brush than others, so I have to get to know each ink's personality. Here's a picture of my current palette and ink selection. Many colors are running low and I will probably wash them out and try new inks next.

fpn_1536042213__palette.jpg

I must remember not to put Tokiwa-Matsu next to Oku-Yama. Due to their sheen, the green appears red and the red appears green and it gets very confusing :lol:

Another speed sketch. Got a new brush (dagger)--having fun with it but I'm not sure yet how to use it properly. Enjoying the exploring process.

fpn_1536036135__sketch9.jpg

On the subject of mechanical pencils, I use a few, but my mainstays are the Pentel Graphgear 500 (I've been using the same one for the last fifteen years or so), a Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch, and a Uni Alpha Gel when I feel like using the thick, soft grip. For some reason I don't like getting new pencils, and just stick with the ones I've had for ages. I've tried a few different types over the years but always go back to the same ones in the end.

The colours, the detail . . . I could just dive into this world. Sublime.

(I keep telling myself to stop "gushing" at your images but want to express how much joy they bring)

crahptacular your work is simply stunning! Love the perspective you used, and thank you for showing us the colors. Seeing the different between Tokiwa-Matsu and Oku-Yama was especially fascinating. They look like the complete opposite of themselves!

And now, 4/5 Italian proverbs with animals.

"IL LUPO PERDE IL PELO MA NON IL VIZIO." The wolf can lose its fur but not his vices. It offers a pessimistic view about people who have done wrong before, not exactly hopeful about second chances, but ehi, this was the pragmatic life of in my country.

I also recalled the original Latin saying, though 'vulpem' means fox not wolf, that's 'lupus' in Latin. And you can hear the same proverb with 'la volpe,' the fox, as the protagonist, but I can't recall now in which areas of Italy this version is more popular.

Also, the Latin proverb is more lenient, more neutral, less judgemental. It talks about 'mores' meaning the habits and customs of a person or group of people. Whereas the modern Italian proverb is more clear-cut, it's about vices, you can hear the influence of the Church in it.

fpn_1536048132__rk_verdura_proverbio_lup

EDIT: Here, a little fox.

fpn_1536048555__rk_verdura_doodle_fox.jp

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

crahptacular: Big thanks for your invaluable experience! Maybe I'll try it too!

RoyalBlueNotebooks: We have a proverb that sounds different, but it means the same thing: "You can feed the wolf as much as you like, but it still looks(wants) into the forest". It's amazing: one meaning in two different utterances.

Edited by Andrew_L

I know! I studied foreign languages in school but most things still amaze me.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

4/5 :)

… "Il lupo perde il pelo ma non vizio" - "The leopard cannot change its spots" - "сколько волка ни корми, он в лес смотрит" (You can feed the wolf as much as you like, but it looks into the wood alltimes) and more rude version - " горбатого могила исправит" (the grave will correct the humpbacked).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

… "Il lupo perde il pelo ma non vizio" - "The leopard cannot change its spots" - "сколько волка ни корми, он в лес смотрит" (You can feed the wolf as much as you like, but it looks into the wood alltimes) and more rude version - " горбатого могила исправит" (the grave will correct the humpbacked).

The one about the grave is the actual best. ^^

5/5 Italian proverbs with animals.

"PRENDERE DUE PICCIONI CON UNA FAVA." Take two birds (pigeons precisely) with one fava bean.

I assume that pigeons were among the type of fowls that people ate decades ago. But then I think pigeons stand for many sorts of edible birds, such as the pheasant, which is a less disconcering thought than people eating pigeon meat. And why fava beans? Well I recall that fava beans grow relatively quickly so you can catch lots of birds with them.

Ironically, I was absolutely shocked when I first read the English equivalent of this proverb. Why would you kill two birds with stones? You risk damaging the meat! Then I thought that, in the Italian proverb, after you have trapped the birds with the fava bean you necessarily need to off the birds with something.

This is just one example of the many weird musings that I lost myself into when I was a kid.

I'm so sorry about the smudge in the translation. I regularly get the spelling of 'pigeon' wrong.

fpn_1536145094__diamine_kelly_green_rk_v

Have some weird, non-artistic bird doodles:

fpn_1536145424__cult_pens_deep_dark_purp

fpn_1536145550__diamine_peach_haze_rk_ve

fpn_1536145576__cult_pens_deep_dark_purp

fpn_1536145550__diamine_peach_haze_rk_ve

Aww, the top bird looks so cute, poor middle bird . . . why the sad face when the ink mix is so pretty?

Aww, the top bird looks so cute, poor middle bird . . . why the sad face when the ink mix is so pretty?

I had an inkling you would have appreciated this mix Tas ^^ At the beginning the bird was supposed to look quizzically at something on the ground, but I forgot what as I was coloring. =///=

On 9/5/2018 at 2:06 PM, RoyalBlueNotebooks said:

This doodle bird looks fantastic cool! I think. Like a pro:)

My last turn:) At us is "убить двух зайцев одним выстрелом" (to kill two hares with one shot).

The magician's hat(s) is turned out badly :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hares are more yummy, the Russian proverb clearly shows who has the superior taste here! ^^

Andrew, it's been an honor and a pleasure to *work* with you! If you have other fun projects please don't hesitate to share.

Thank you for all the fantastic, incredibly detailed works!!

Thank you too!.
I was also very pleased to cooperate with you!

I also did some variant of cover for both versions :).

PS: This summer I found the strength in self and start up my site. There I tried to collect my passion for drawings, pens and other. There certainly is not everything, but with time I will add as far as I can. Welcome!

So I published there a more complete version of our joint work: http://lenskiy.org/2018/09/5-italian-proverbs-with-animals/ . Sorry for the Russian language, today there are no forces to translate into English :).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png