• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

I'm not acquainted with the saying "Your roof is running away from you." Meaning the members of your family cannot stand you anymore?

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I'm sorry, I'm not a native speaker. I took the information on the Internet. In my language there is a similar idiom meaning "going crazy" or "doing something out of the ordinary". Where a house (head) with a missing(away) roof (there is no restriction?) - "mind without rules":) - I think.

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

I'm sorry, I'm not a native speaker. I took the information on the Internet. In my language there is a similar idiom meaning "going crazy" or "doing something out of the ordinary". Where a house (head) with a missing(away) roof (there is no restriction?) - "mind without rules":) - I think.

Well I like it. I like the idea of the roof of this house being fed up with my craziness and fly away. "Can't handle this madwoman anymore. Honolulu, here I come!"

RoyalBlueNotebooks: Can I ask you to publish here (or in private messages to me) some of the Italian characterly idioms, preferably with a translation to English, otherwise I think, I do not understand it by Italian even with the translator :).

RoyalBlueNotebooks: Can I ask you to publish here (or in private messages to me) some of the Italian characterly idioms, preferably with a translation to English, otherwise I think, I do not understand it by Italian even with the translator :).

Sure, sound like fun! : )

Struggled with some things that weren't alleys or buildings. On the bright side, the Sailor fude doesn't have the same ink starvation problems as the Jinhao fude. Time to return to alleys and buildings.

fpn_1535760482__sketch7.jpg

fpn_1535761721__sketch8.jpg

For Andrew, the first of five Italian proverbs.

"Gatta ci cova" means "something smells fishy" that is to say, you have the feeling that something suspicious is going on.

I love this saying because when I was a kid, the adults around me were often too busy to explain simple things to me so I grew up with some misconceptions. Most of these I corrected with my own common sense at the end of teenage years and beyond.

So when I was a kid I often saw our hens (farmer's daughter here) brooding something that wasn't their eggs. It's instinct. Thus, when I heard the proverb "gatta ci cova" I imagined that mom cats were like hens, they would suddenly drop everything and brood something because it was a cat mom instinct too. Go, me, points for deduction! XD

fpn_1535788088__diamine_blue-black_gatta

Firstly: Big thanks to RoyalBlueNotebooks!

Secondly: It's my "Алаверды" (Alaverdi) :) - a word(proverb) characteristic of my region which means "relaying the word (s)" (next sportsmen in relay) :).

Thirdly: I'm sorry, I did not correctly placed colors on the Italy flag. :(

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm in awe. I'm applauding. I'm bowing. You have no idea. Thank you. I'm speechless.

By the way I had the same pencil for a time but didn't like it. Too bouncy. And don't worry about the Italian flag, I used to get it wrong a lot.

And I feel really bad I used lined paper for the second proverb, I'll stick to Fabriano blank.

"Andare a letto con le galline" translates into "To go to sleep with the chickens." Seriously.

This is because the chickens retire at dusk, so very early, especially during the cold months (in winter the sun goes down before 17:00 here). So when a person retires very early the family members crack jokes about him/her going to sleep with the chickens.

fpn_1535892678__diamine_ochre_proverbio_

We have the same in German. Chickens are chickens, I guess. ;)

Really? It's interesting to know we have similar saying, especially those related to animals. They're my favourite.

I couldn't find the equivalent in English. I told myself it must be because the time the sun goes down is vastly different in other timezones. Maybe I simply didn't search throughly.

The English version is "go to bed with the chickens" as far as I know.

I noticed German also shares many proverbs with Russian. But I didn't investigate further.

Edited by Astron

I continue too:).

We also have a similar saying: "С курями ложиться, с петухами вставать" (Go to bed wth the chickens and wake up with the cocks).

ps: I recently bought a Mitsubishi Uni KURU TOGA and I still can not say whether I like it or not. I install the 2B rods. Rotation of the rod (know-how of this model) does not yet feel :), but and do not feel any discomfort. I do not press hard during the sketches.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I continue too:).

We also have a similar saying: "С курями ложиться, с петухами вставать" (Go to bed wth the chickens and wake up with the cocks).

ps: I recently bought a Mitsubishi Uni KURU TOGA and I still can not say whether I like it or not. I install the 2B rods. Rotation of the rod (know-how of this model) does not yet feel :), but and do not feel any discomfort. I do not press hard during the sketches.

I'm so happy right now you cannot imagine. Thank you!

By the way, we have the part about the cocks too. "Svegliarsi con il gallo," which I used to do very often since our cocks and my uncle's combined made such a ruckus... But we don't use it much, I think because it implies negativity, a sort of scolding? Whereas waking up early is positive because you get a lot more done, especially in the countryside.

I also couldn't activate the rotating mechanism of the Kuru Toga. Guess the light pressure required from the fountain pens is too light for the Toga.

EDIT: Do you really use that really colorful eraser? Aren't those the ones you're supposed to keep in your pencil case at school to show to your classmates that you're one of the cool kid while you actually use the remnant of the old plain white eraser that's been lying around in the family junk jar for years and you got to finish it 'cause it's a waste otherwise?

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

3/5 Italian proverbs with animals. I just finished with one.

"Can che abbaia non morde" is an easy one "Barking dog doesn't bite." Meaning being rude/mean/abusive without the intention and/or the capability to follow through with physical violence.

I think the English saying has something to do with smoke and fire? Or am I confusing sayings...

Anyway, here's the lettering. The Yiren pen handled the sparkles well, impressive. Fabriano paper didn't show off the sparkles effectively so this is Clairefontaine.

fpn_1535923184__pelikan_4001_violett_dia

I thought about framing the saying with doggie doodles but the first one I tried turned out to too fat and strangely pitiful.

fpn_1535923351__pelikan_4001_violett_dia

Then I remembered that my artistic abilities are non-existent and was sorry. So I drew a doggie bowing in repentance. But even this didn't turn out the way I intended it and the doggie is super cheerful instead.

fpn_1535923423__pelikan_4001_violett_dia

Perhaps the English saying you're thinking of is "Where there's smoke, there's fire"? If so, that one doesn't have the same meaning--it means that whenever there's a rumor, there's a reason for it. In English we do say "All bark and no bite" to describe a person who acts threatening/aggressive but will back down from actual confrontation.

Also, your doggies are adorable :)